Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP Cleaning devices
Question 
CPAP Cleaning devices
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone has had any experience and possible recommendations on a CPAP cleaning machine.  I've seen SoClean ($$$) and PrimeClean advertised.  Both use Ozone (activated oxygen) to clean/sterilize your CPAP system.

I'd like to get some feedback on this type of cleaning if anyone has used one of these devices.

SoClean sells for around $350;  PrimeClean is advertised for $99

Thanks,
Duane
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP Cleaning devices
Hi dugoodm Duane,

A sincere welcome to the Apnea Board.

Just my opinion, but I'd say not to waste your money on those cleaners. For over 2 1/2 years, I've cleaned my masks and other equipment with Dawn dish soap and very warm water only, with air drying time. My equipment is as clean as is necessary.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Save your money for something more worthwhile. Nothing cleans as good as some good ole hot water and Dawn dish soap. 

The machines just sanitize. They don't actually clean.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the feedback...
Duane
Post Reply Post Reply
If you are inclined to get one, I have the Lumin and the Lumin bullet. They work very well and are extremely easy and quick to use. No bad ozone to break down your components either. As others have said you can use soap and water but I like the ease of disinfecting quickly using a unit. I still use wipes on my mask to clean it routinely.
Post Reply Post Reply
I will say my dad has the SoClean and my mom complains that his mask leaks. (They sleep in separate rooms). I don't know that he washes his masks regularly to deal with the oils on the mask, and that oily skin runs in the family. Or maybe I get that from Mom?
Post Reply Post Reply
This is good information
Post Reply Post Reply
I had the Lumin and it made my tubing smell very bad... like old fried onions or something. I had to wash it out with Dawn and water afterwards to get rid of the smell, but it did not totally go away. I wrote to the manufacturer and they assured me that this is due to the death of the organisms killed by the ultraviolet light and that this would go away after repeated use (2-3 times a week). however, it did not. So after about six months I sold it. I have heard from other people that there was no problem with an odor. I don't know why that is. However, now I am just cleaning with Dawn and water and once a week, vinegar/water mixture. Since I change my supplies regularly as instructed by manufacturer, I feel OK with this. I have not had any problem with illness, sinusitis, bad smell or anything. So, this works for me. someone who has chronic sinus issues may need a different regimen. hope this helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
UV light is damaging to plastics and cause deterioration. Any plastic product used outdoors must have UV stabilizers added to prevent them from disintegrating in the sun. Now ask yourself if your CPAP manufacturer is using a UV stabilizer in your CPAP tubing which is intended to be used indoors, and washed with mild soap.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Adding to Sleeprider's comments. If you were the manufacturer, would you spend the additional cost of the UV stabilizers for a product that would last longer and you make money replacing it?
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 48 3,818 Yesterday, 04:49 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  cleaning CPAP tube sleepingbetterinFl 6 221 03-14-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: apnea505
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 169 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
  Smart Watches/devices Fourkidletts 172 16,457 03-02-2024, 10:52 PM
Last Post: dataq1
  are there pulse oximeter synced CPAP/Bipap/sleep study devices? bhavintu79 1 202 03-02-2024, 04:53 AM
Last Post: Gep232
Money cleaning thread? TinyBubbles 19 7,790 02-27-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Frankiboy
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 182 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.