Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AHI Question- "Average" vs Graph.
AHI Question- "Average" vs Graph.
So the AHI that shows up on my machine and in the detailed summary in SleepyHead is pretty good; averaging 2-3 overall.

The issue is that when I look at the data graph my AHI many nights spikes into the 11-16 range during the middle of the night. A few of my worst nights I wake up, go to the bathroom, and when I come back the AHI graph appears to have plummeted because I took the mask off for a bit.

Is this pattern "normal" or should I talk to the sleep clinic about it? I have 4 weeks until my first "follow up" appointment. I'm already planning to talk to them about putting my machine from fixed 9cm into "Auto" with a range of ~8-14 to observe what pressures it uses.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AHI Question- "Average" vs Graph.
It's normal. The detailed summary for a night is averaged over the entire time on the machine.
The AHI graph is a moment in time. That graph is sort of useless.

Sort of like your car speedometer telling you you are going 85 miles per hour at an instant; when the cop pulls you over and says: "Do you know you were going 85 MPH?" And, you answer, "That's impossible; I've only been driving 10 minutes." /joke

Or, making the analogy more serious: At a point in a car trip you might register 85 MPH on the speedometer; but averaged over the trip, your average speed might be only 45 MPH.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
You should post your sleepyhead graph for the night. An AHI zooming to 10-16 for an hour may mean that your cpap pressure is not fending off clusters of apnea and/or hypopnea events when that AHI zooms. You may need to raise the pressure by a modest amount to fend off such clusters of events.
PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply
Another thing to take into consideration is what were you doing at the time? Were you really asleep or were you lying there awake and trying to get back to sleep? The machine doesn't know when you are asleep or not and often treats your normal awake breathing pattern as apneas. I see that quite a bit in mine when my wife wakes me up and I just lie there. See the spikes in my AHI.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  erratic flow rate graph on ASV normal? jaredihnen 2 281 01-24-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: jaredihnen
  Average AHI vs deep sleep stage AHI question BezDuh 4 618 01-24-2024, 12:08 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  How to read the Snore Graph daz2264 0 304 12-30-2023, 03:42 PM
Last Post: daz2264
  Lost Red Pressure Graph Line ejbpesca 5 398 11-09-2023, 10:01 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  AHI total average vs true AHI graphed hourly average Jessher 9 764 10-23-2023, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Woke up feeling absolutely awful - OSCAR graph analysis really appreciated new2paphopeful 2 737 10-03-2023, 06:34 PM
Last Post: stevew77
  OSCAR Graph Question Events Flags/AHI Bob Cali 3 521 09-28-2023, 02:53 PM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.