Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help! The RT is pushing another CPAP machine. What do???
Sad 
Help! The RT is pushing another CPAP machine. What do???
Okay so the Respiratory Therapist called today, and she said the machine I want, the Phillips Respironics DS560 Auto is out of stock, but she has a PR DS460 Pro that she said is just as good. She told me that with my low pressure (7) I really didn't need an auto, and sometimes autos can cause arousels. She also said that what's really neat about the Pro, is it can go into "auto" for 60 days if need be, so it's really just as good. I told her I was really stuck on the DS560, but to let me do some research and I'd get back to her.

What do you CPAP Gurus think? Should I hold out for the DS560? Or is the DS460 pretty comparable? What exactly would I be giving up, to get a machine a week earlier? Thanks a bunch!
-Ailu
Reformed CPAP Outlaw
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help! The RT is pushing another CPAP machine. What do???
Tell them to get it in stock. You and your insurance company are paying over $1000 for this machine. You want what you want because you have to live with it for at least 5 years.

I believe the 460 is not an auto machine, which doesn't help you if you later want a range of pressures.

I've had to wait an extra two weeks so that I could get the machine that I want.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hold out for the machine you want, IMO. Or, ask about the equivalent ResMed - (the S10 AutoSet). It really is not significantly more difficult to run on batteries, but you do need the ResMed 12 to 24 volt brick.

Personally, I'd either wait the 7 days or go with the ResMed. I used a Respironics at my sleep study, and obviously have a ResMed now; they are both good machines. You won't be getting another machine (that insurance covers) for 5 years, so get what you want and don't look back.

Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-19-2015, 05:08 PM)Ailu Wrote: Okay so the Respiratory Therapist called today, and she said the machine I want, the Phillips Respironics DS560 Auto is out of stock, but she has a PR DS460 Pro that she said is just as good. She told me that with my low pressure (7) I really didn't need an auto, and sometimes autos can cause arousels. She also said that what's really neat about the Pro, is it can go into "auto" for 60 days if need be, so it's really just as good. I told her I was really stuck on the DS560, but to let me do some research and I'd get back to her.

What do you CPAP Gurus think? Should I hold out for the DS560? Or is the DS460 pretty comparable? What exactly would I be giving up, to get a machine a week earlier? Thanks a bunch!

Your script was specifically written for the the DS560 Auto.
Tell them to fill as written or you'll buy elsewhere.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Parker! She also offered a ResMed S10, but I told her I couldn't use a ResMed because I dry camp often, and it doesn't hook up to a battery with the best results. Otherwise, I would have definitely considered it!

(06-19-2015, 05:18 PM)parkerdt Wrote: Hold out for the machine you want, IMO. Or, ask about the equivalent ResMed - (the S10 AutoSet). It really is not significantly more difficult to run on batteries, but you do need the ResMed 12 to 24 volt brick.

-Ailu
Reformed CPAP Outlaw
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Ailu,
I'm sorry they are giving you trouble but I'd hold out for the machine you really want, and the one "THEY" knew you wanted because that's what you told them yesterday. If they give you too much nonsense, let them know you will take your business elsewhere.
Good luck, hang in there for more suggestions.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-19-2015, 05:08 PM)Ailu Wrote: Okay so the Respiratory Therapist called today, and she said the machine I want, the Phillips Respironics DS560 Auto is out of stock, but she has a PR DS460 Pro that she said is just as good. She told me that with my low pressure (7) I really didn't need an auto, and sometimes autos can cause arousels. She also said that what's really neat about the Pro, is it can go into "auto" for 60 days if need be, so it's really just as good. I told her I was really stuck on the DS560, but to let me do some research and I'd get back to her.

Typical response! Oh-jeez
Ask them to order the machine you want, even if you have to wait a week or two. You have to live with this machine for 5+ years and who knows what your needs could be down the road. Tell them you will use the auto machine at a straight setting if that is what they insist. You can later change it to auto if that's what you want with the help here.

Remember, insurance will pay them the same for a straight CPAP or an auto CPAP, so they make more money by giving you the straight CPAP.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
ResMed S10 in all its variants hooks up to a battery just fine. ResMed has a white paper detailing how to do it. You just need their voltage converter. Simple. Still, your prescription is for a PR560, and you want a PR560; get a PR560! One more week waiting is not likely to make much difference in the grand scheme of things Smile

I had to wait 2 weeks for my ResMed. And I too have an Auto machine that is not set in Auto mode - but I am ready for what comes next!

Dave

(06-19-2015, 05:27 PM)Ailu Wrote: Thanks Parker! She also offered a ResMed S10, but I told her I couldn't use a ResMed because I dry camp often, and it doesn't hook up to a battery with the best results. Otherwise, I would have definitely considered it!

(06-19-2015, 05:18 PM)parkerdt Wrote: Hold out for the machine you want, IMO. Or, ask about the equivalent ResMed - (the S10 AutoSet). It really is not significantly more difficult to run on batteries, but you do need the ResMed 12 to 24 volt brick.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-19-2015, 05:08 PM)Ailu Wrote: What do you CPAP Gurus think? Should I hold out for the DS560? Or is the DS460 pretty comparable? What exactly would I be giving up, to get a machine a week earlier? Thanks a bunch!
Do not accept 460 model, 460 is fixed pressure machine
Lousy DME, they make few extra dollars by dispensing the cheaper machine
I would think, illegal to dispense machine different than what the doctor ordered

Only 560 is true APAP, can be used as straight CPAP or APAP ... 2 machines in one

Not sure about batteries, but if looking for ResMed AirSense 10
[Image: ResMed-AirSense-10.png]
[should say "AutoSet, AutoSet for Her, Elite or CPAP"]

You'll need to ask for the right machine
AirSense 10 AutoSet or AirSesne 10 AutoSet for Her

AirSesne 10 AutoSet for Her is grey in color (all the other models are charcoal), preferable and has added features

Post Reply Post Reply
That is just plain slimy and if Rx is written DAW illegal to boot.
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 91 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 309 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 629 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 199 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,743 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  New to CPAP- Need advice on purchasing a machine JuanSiesta 4 368 02-14-2024, 09:31 PM
Last Post: JuanSiesta
  [CPAP] Newby not sure if CPAP is the right machine for me tcinoz 24 1,294 02-13-2024, 08:13 PM
Last Post: tcinoz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.