Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help! The RT is pushing another CPAP machine. What do???
RE: Help! The RT is pushing another CPAP machine. What do???
Thanks so much everybody! I should clarify, it's the Respiratory Therapist from the sleep center that called me - not the DME. But I'm gonna tell them I want the machine as prescribed.

You guys are awesome! Thanks
-Ailu
Reformed CPAP Outlaw
Post Reply Post Reply
You can go to any DME with your prescription. ANY*. Doesn't have to be the one connected to the sleep centre.

*subject to conditions of your insurance provider, etc.

Post Reply Post Reply
It should take no more than 3 days to get the right machine in stock. Stock is a retailer term anyway and your DME should have any of these machines available within hours. Imagine an auto parts store that didn't have the spark plugs you need. You'd go somewhere else and they would go out of business. What a ridiculous ploy.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-19-2015, 05:27 PM)Ailu Wrote: Thanks Parker! She also offered a ResMed S10, but I told her I couldn't use a ResMed because I dry camp often, and it doesn't hook up to a battery with the best results. Otherwise, I would have definitely considered it!

The ResMed 12v to 24v DC-DC converter power brick works just fine. The place I bought it, Supplier #26, has it for $84.00 with free shipping at the moment. Part number 37297. A cigarette lighter plug DC power cord for a 12v machine will be cheaper but a ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet, the DC-DC converter power brick, and a 35 amp-hour AGM wheelchair/scooter battery will work just fine as long as you dial back the humidifier and heated hose. The ML35-12 AGM battery I bought is still $63.99 with free shipping at the huge internet retailer.

I wouldn't want to lug a 25 pound AGM battery very far but there is no reason you can't camp with that kind of setup.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-19-2015, 10:35 PM)GeoffD Wrote: The ResMed 12v to 24v DC-DC converter power brick works just fine. The place I bought it, Supplier #26, has it for $84.00 with free shipping at the moment. Part number 37297. A cigarette lighter plug DC power cord for a 12v machine will be cheaper but a ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet, the DC-DC converter power brick, and a 35 amp-hour AGM wheelchair/scooter battery will work just fine as long as you dial back the humidifier and heated hose. The ML35-12 AGM battery I bought is still $63.99 with free shipping at the huge internet retailer.

The Resmed 12-24 V adapter may "work" well to run off of a battery, but it requires buying and hauling another piece of equipment with you in addition to everything else.

The Respironics just plugs directly into the battery without further ado making it far more betterer for the intended application.

Power bricks are just a lot more kludgey.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-19-2015, 06:31 PM)Ailu Wrote: Thanks so much everybody! I should clarify, it's the Respiratory Therapist from the sleep center that called me - not the DME. But I'm gonna tell them I want the machine as prescribed.

You guys are awesome! Thanks

Now I am not a suspicious type (pause for laughter to wain and monitors to be cleaned) but it sounds almost like the RT and DME are colluding. I mean the RT has got to know the machines are in no way comparable and why would sleepcenter RT call on behalf the DME? I don't get it.
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, that's kinda how I felt, Mark. Everytime I told her I'd made up my mind, we'd talk about something else, and then she'd come back to machine again. Her insistence threw me off to where I finally said, "Ok, let me do research on it, and I'll get back to you."

She also told me she was pretty sure I was on the "Health Advantage" Blue Shield, and that insurance plan makes you rent the machine for 13 months to ensure you are compliant, and they check compliance every 90 days and if you aren't wearing it, they take the machine back.

So I called Blue Shield and asked them if I had to rent the machine. And they answered no. In fact there is no provision for renting on my plan. Only for outright purchase. I pay 10% of the purchase price, they pay 90%

(06-20-2015, 08:15 AM)Mark Douglas Wrote: Now I am not a suspicious type (pause for laughter to wain and monitors to be cleaned) but it sounds almost like the RT and DME are colluding. I mean the RT has got to know the machines are in no way comparable and why would sleepcenter RT call on behalf the DME? I don't get it.

-Ailu
Reformed CPAP Outlaw
Post Reply Post Reply
Ailu,
You have to be one step ahead of these people. They are not looking out for your best interest.
I have determined that they are either dishonest or incompetent......maby both!

Tell them you will go elsewhere if they can't get you what you want. Crazy
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-20-2015, 08:39 AM)Ailu Wrote: So I called Blue Shield and asked them if I had to rent the machine. And they answered no. In fact there is no provision for renting on my plan. Only for outright purchase. I pay 10% of the purchase price, they pay 90%

Does it matter to BS where you get it? If not, I would way rather pay 10% of the online price vs 10% of a DME price... and it sounds to me like sleep center = DME, by the way.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Daria. I really wish I could buy online! But after talking extensively with Blue Shield, and also getting online documentation, the only place I am allowed to purchase it thru is Apria or thru the local hospital (if I want to be reimbursed).

Given Apria's infamous reputation, I chose the hospital. But if my copay comes close to exceeding $800, I will jump right online to buy in a heartbeat!

(06-20-2015, 09:33 AM)DariaVader Wrote:
(06-20-2015, 08:39 AM)Ailu Wrote: So I called Blue Shield and asked them if I had to rent the machine. And they answered no. In fact there is no provision for renting on my plan. Only for outright purchase. I pay 10% of the purchase price, they pay 90%

Does it matter to BS where you get it? If not, I would way rather pay 10% of the online price vs 10% of a DME price... and it sounds to me like sleep center = DME, by the way.

-Ailu
Reformed CPAP Outlaw
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,330 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  Which machine to get for initial self treatment - Auto CPAP vs. BIPAP ST MVoltaire 8 224 04-04-2024, 04:01 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Using CPAP machine to perform Sleep test ivan007 3 152 04-02-2024, 03:28 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 187 03-27-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 402 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 846 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 259 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.