Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help - Trying CPAP for over 8 weeks now
RE: Help - Trying CPAP for over 8 weeks now
Hi garrettmcc!
Welcome

As you are learning, CPAP therapy quickly leaves the world of basic rules and enters the realm of an art form. You will have your good and bad days with this therapy. Stay with it and you will reap its rewards.

You might consider downloading the free analytical software, SleepyHead. SleepyHead provides the means to see what is happening while you sleep and areas that need to be addressed.

Good luck!

Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-26-2016, 05:23 AM)holden4th Wrote: Hello Stephennic, fellow Aussie here.

I am assuming that if you have tried a few machines over a short period of time then you are working with a company who does rentals. This is a good move as you work out how you can work with CPAP therapy. This is what I did, (two grand is a lot of money).

However, OSA doesn't go away so you will eventually have to bite the bullet and get your own machine.

In the meantime....

I started with the Icon and it was not the machine for me. I switched to an autoset (the S9) and have never looked back. It brought my numbers way down but not to a point where I could feel comfortable. I then used the members of this forum to guide me to experiment with my settings so that I could have an even bigger improvement. They all said that once you change your settings give them time to work and time for your body to adjust. This has proved to be excellent advice as I now have AHIs regularly below 2.0 and feel so much better when I wake up. It's not perfect yet but every day takes me closer. The most important point is that I now feel insecure if I don't put on my mask before I go to sleep. It's become a part of my sleeping pattern.

I was diagnosed in November 2015 and started therapy in December with the Icon. I switched to the Resmed S9 in March. It's now August, I have been on therapy for about 8 months and it's working. It took time at first but it's working. I'm reminded of that when, on the odd occasion, I can't use my machine. I feel so bad when I get up the next morning and this tells me that my therapy is working for me. Maybe, after a couple of years I'll feel absolutely wonderful after a nights therapy. That's the goal.

Keep at it, give your body a chance to adjust to your settings before making changes, post Sleepyhead data here and this forum can help you like it helped me.
Thanks for the encouragement, it sounds like CPAP is working well for you. I will keep trying.
Cheers
Steve.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-28-2016, 08:10 AM)stephennic Wrote:
(08-26-2016, 05:23 AM)holden4th Wrote: Hello Stephennic, fellow Aussie here.

I am assuming that if you have tried a few machines over a short period of time then you are working with a company who does rentals. This is a good move as you work out how you can work with CPAP therapy. This is what I did, (two grand is a lot of money).

However, OSA doesn't go away so you will eventually have to bite the bullet and get your own machine.

In the meantime....

I started with the Icon and it was not the machine for me. I switched to an autoset (the S9) and have never looked back. It brought my numbers way down but not to a point where I could feel comfortable. I then used the members of this forum to guide me to experiment with my settings so that I could have an even bigger improvement. They all said that once you change your settings give them time to work and time for your body to adjust. This has proved to be excellent advice as I now have AHIs regularly below 2.0 and feel so much better when I wake up. It's not perfect yet but every day takes me closer. The most important point is that I now feel insecure if I don't put on my mask before I go to sleep. It's become a part of my sleeping pattern.

I was diagnosed in November 2015 and started therapy in December with the Icon. I switched to the Resmed S9 in March. It's now August, I have been on therapy for about 8 months and it's working. It took time at first but it's working. I'm reminded of that when, on the odd occasion, I can't use my machine. I feel so bad when I get up the next morning and this tells me that my therapy is working for me. Maybe, after a couple of years I'll feel absolutely wonderful after a nights therapy. That's the goal.

Keep at it, give your body a chance to adjust to your settings before making changes, post Sleepyhead data here and this forum can help you like it helped me.
Thanks for the encouragement, it sounds like CPAP is working well for you. I will keep trying.
Cheers
Steve.
Just checking - it looks like you use a Philips 60 series machine on your heading but you said you use a resmed S9 or do you use both.
Cheers
Steve
(08-26-2016, 08:51 AM)garrettmcc Wrote: m a newbie too about 6 weeks in I have been experimenting with mask size and tyoe and also pillow positions etc and I am starting to get a few good night in a row, still have a bad one every 4-5 days but I am getting there, I guess you have to keep tinkering with it to get it right.
Great to hear, I hope I get more good nights like you are - you are doing better than me.
Cheers
Steve
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-26-2016, 09:08 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Hi garrettmcc!
Welcome

As you are learning, CPAP therapy quickly leaves the world of basic rules and enters the realm of an art form. You will have your good and bad days with this therapy. Stay with it and you will reap its rewards.

You might consider downloading the free analytical software, SleepyHead. SleepyHead provides the means to see what is happening while you sleep and areas that need to be addressed.

Good luck!
Thanks for the encouragement.
Cheers
Steve
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi all,
At last I have had three nights in the row with some sleep on CPAP.Smile The best in nearly 3 months in trying CPAP. I have been exercising each night doing about 1.5 kmh on the treadmill to try to increase my lung capacity, no chocolate, avoiding eating late etc. Trying to relax before bed. My AHI is still around 7-8 each night, half are centrals.

I have downloaded sleepyhead an encore pro, I have worked out how to view sleepyhead but not encore pro. But I do not know how to post some results on this forum from sleepyhead (please let me know how to do it step by step). I would love some feedback from the results Also how do I set up encore pro as I have it now on the computer but it doesn't show any results even though I have put the sd card in the computer.

Best night: Friday night Measurements: 6 Hrs 42 mins what is each one?
AI: 1.04 HI:2.98 CAI: 4.62 REI: 0.45, VSI: 0.00, FLI: 0.75 and PB/CSR:0.00%
Many thanks for everyone patience and encouragement too.Thanks
Cheers
Steve
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-05-2016, 08:49 AM)stephennic Wrote: . . . I do not know how to post some results on this forum from sleepyhead (please let me know how to do it step by step).

To make life easier, Use the F12 key while in SleepyHead. Then post the screenshot (located in the SleepyHead Data /Screenshot directory) to either photobucket or imgur. You can then insert the link to one of these.

Here is the the link for posting images:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...g-an-Image

Here is a link for "How do I . . .":
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-How-to-HOW-DO-I
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Try not to think about it. CPAP is just another activity on the way to sleep. I admit that the first month was difficult, but I am three years in now sailing along.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep know the feeling I have the same trouble, and mine has been going on for
Over 8 moths of more, tried about everything to fall a sleep, its a real pain in
The butt. Just can't shut off my mind, I will fall a sleep for maybe an couple of
Hours with mask on, they wake up and feel a little bummed out with the whole
Ordeal,then the mask comes off, and have no problem going back to sleep with
Out the mask.
I know I need the machines help,but I do think it's all just me , but some days
Iam just ready to give it up and chuck it in the trash,so damn fustrating.
It got so bad with me I did not use the machine for at least 3 months or so, but
Now Iam giving it another chance, trying to keep my self calmed down and
Trying not to think about it. Iam up to maybe 3 hours top of sleep with mask
On and then here we go again. It might take me another 8 mths to finally get it
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can someone take a look at my OSCAR results? 3-4 weeks of CPAP & still improvements senseisaitama 5 133 03-24-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Question Oscar Help - Analysis after 3 Weeks, Improvements! ef8mk 7 321 03-24-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: ef8mk
  Trialing a Dreamstation (2?) for 4 weeks NeedSleepPlease 46 1,502 03-12-2024, 05:05 PM
Last Post: NeedSleepPlease
  2 weeks in. Mask leak and flow limit Jojo1982 11 672 02-22-2024, 01:51 PM
Last Post: Jojo1982
  [Pressure] I just started apap therapy 3 weeks ago and I feel worse.Should I change settings? AndreiChivu 1 323 02-03-2024, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] 5-6 Weeks into CPAP Therapy, Sleep Getting Worse of Late SleepyLP 17 911 01-16-2024, 06:32 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  3 Weeks in the World of APAP MaskedOne 2 312 01-16-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: MaskedOne

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.