Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help Understanding Leak Rate & Statistics
Help Understanding Leak Rate & Statistics
I'm trying to understand what the leak rates mean. 

-First, what is an acceptable level?

-Median vs 95% leak rate:  I know that median is in the middle, and 95% means that there are 5% higher and 5% lower, but that is about it.

On a few nights my median leak rate was 0, while the 95% leak rate was 21.6, I even had a night of 0 for median and 30 for the 95% Dont-know how can that be, and what does that mean?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help Understanding Leak Rate & Statistics
Median is the exact midpoint of all recorded values, after organizing them in an increasing order.  An example would be having 7 values: 0, 0, 10, 25, 0, 0, 15. First, place in order: 0, 0, 0, 0, 10, 15, and 25. The Median (or 50 Percentile) would be "0" (zero) since it falls in the middle of all the recorded values.  This also means that you didn't have any leaks for at least half of your sleep session,  The 95 Percentile (21.6 in your case) means that your recorded leaks were at this value or lower for 95% of your sleep session.  A major leak is defined as exceeding 24L/min.  At this leak rate the blowers in some CPAPs will start to loose pressure efficiency and will be unable to supply the proper pressure support for therapy.  A large leak rate will also make it difficult for the software to accurately recognize an event.

I hope this may help.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help Understanding Leak Rate & Statistics
Here read the Leaks section of Beginners Guide to SleepyHead     http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

It explains how tracking leaks work.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Understanding Pressure Settings on ASV Suzee 77 3,204 19 minutes ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Large leak panic sleepingbetterinFl 2 50 2 hours ago
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 0 44 7 hours ago
Last Post: xaid
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 2 49 8 hours ago
Last Post: FriedRice
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 4 77 Today, 08:05 AM
Last Post: chronic
  Help with spotting flow rate RERA's apnea505 3 140 03-14-2024, 02:57 PM
Last Post: apnea505
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 8 130 03-14-2024, 01:15 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.