Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help Understanding my Numbers and Being Tired
Help Understanding my Numbers and Being Tired
So for the past 2 months or so, I have been feeling very tired in the mornings. Lots of brain fog an my eyelids feel very heavy. Took a blood test, my thyroid TSH is up to 2.5 from 1.5.

Decided to check my data. I have a weinman somnobalance, so I can pull the card and read the csv, but the sleepyhead software doesnt work with my machine.

So I have total sleep time and RDI. My sleep hours vary from 5 to 8 hours.

My rdi varies from 1 to to 14 (mostly its under 10)

So what does all this mean? What is a good range of rdi numbers to have.

Cants stand this brain fog anymore or this tiredness I feel in my eyes!!

I should note, I am also a runner, and run about 3.4 Km not flat by hills in about 30 minutes.

I have been losing weight from 110 Kg to now about 98 Kg (target is about 90Kg).

I am also 197 Cm tall

Anyone help with interpreting these numbers and what can I do about this tiredness? Any supplements? I have Gaba and melatonin, but havent taken them

Thanks

Larry
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help Understanding my Numbers and Being Tired
I know nothing specific about your machine, I am assuming that "some" things are common among all machines.

your pressure is VERY low, I find I feel starved for air below 6 and you never even get that high. I spend most of my time around 9-10CM. I would try to understand why your machine is set so low. I can only assume that your machine specifies pressure the same as ours across the pond, cm H2O?

I have no idea what comfort settings are available to you, but this can make a huge difference, if your not comfortable then you wont get good sleep.

I have no idea if there is a professional version of software for your machine that the Doctor uses, perhaps you can get hold of that so you can see the nightly detail. If it graphs the results and you can take a scree shot, my guess is that that would be close enough for people here to look at
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree. Increase pressure and use trial and error if you don't have good data. You should feel the difference. None of the machines sold in the U.S. are capable of pressure less than 4.0 cm, and very few people can use that low pressure.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
This thread suggests that SleepyHead might work a bit with your machine:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...g-New-data

That might be enough to get some good data.

My AHI is below 1 most nights and my RDI below 3. Note that I am still sleepy so something else is affecting my sleep. Keep in mind this might be the case for you. I do agree that I would start increasing my pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the feedback.

I can take the machine to the clinic on Tuesday to get it check with the Weinman software.

I believe my pressure is around 5 with an auto ramp up feature.

I can increase it, but just curious what makes you guys think my pressure needs to be increased? I am using a nasal pillow and am just worried I will make a problem if I increase pressure.

Thanks,

Larry
Post Reply Post Reply
I felt the same way, with auto CPAP, let the machine do the work. In my case I started at 4, moved to 5, then to 6. In each case My max pressure stayed around 9. Also, in each case my sleep quality improved greatly. It seams I am sensitive to the change in pressure.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-23-2016, 04:05 AM)larrygreg Wrote: Thanks for the feedback.

I can take the machine to the clinic on Tuesday to get it check with the Weinman software.

I believe my pressure is around 5 with an auto ramp up feature.

I can increase it, but just curious what makes you guys think my pressure needs to be increased? I am using a nasal pillow and am just worried I will make a problem if I increase pressure.

Thanks,

Larry

Larry, you said your RDI is around 10 most nights. That is really plenty of indication that you still have enough obstruction to cause respiratory event related arousals. Playing by the averages, very few people have pressure as low as what you are using, because it does not work to keep the airway open. The auto algorithm should increase pressure until obstruction is cleared, and not increase any more. So usually the minimum pressure is important to prevent obstructive events. In your case, the maximum pressure is probably too low to allow the machine to do its job.

Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi larrygreg,
In your first post, you state that you can't stand the brain fog or the tiredness.

That statement alone plus the high RDI would indicate that your current pressure setting is not optimal to take care of apnea events. Sleeprider has given you excellent advice.

You also need to get your thyroid in balance.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK,
So checked my settings. The startup pressure was 4 and I increased it to 5. Normal pressure was 5 and I increased to 6.

Will keep you folks posted as to what the results are and how I feel

Thanks,

Larry
Post Reply Post Reply
Larry:

I use nasal pillows with pressures on the lower side of normal: 4.6-7.6. At these pressures there are no problems with the pillows creating any problem at least for me. I agree with what everyone else has stated. You likely need a pressure increase to lower RDI. RDI is a combination of AHI and RERAs. If the software available to you can tell you how much is AHI versus RERA that would be helpful. RERAs disrupt sleep as much as apneas since by definition they are arousals.

Keep us posted as to the effects of your changes in pressures. Hang in there.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 3 173 8 hours ago
Last Post: Abhi
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 164 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Pressure] Switching to automatic raised AHI numbers Leitrim 4 115 03-26-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Leitrim
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,958 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Pressure] Understanding Pressure Settings on ASV Suzee 85 3,551 03-19-2024, 03:17 PM
Last Post: Suzee
  Need help... Brain fog and constantly tired pulseoximeter 4 174 03-18-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: pulseoximeter
  tired during the day kwolsen 3 130 03-17-2024, 02:58 PM
Last Post: Big Guy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.