Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Tried Everything
RE: Tried Everything
Yes-- I agree on the 18 inch hose extension, I use one also and I have the machine just below mattress level to solve several problems . Helps with rainout and hose cleaning. I clean the 18 inch extension close to the mask more often than the 6 foot hose. And I have a straight swivel fitting between the hoses to help cope with my tossing and turning. I previously thought just to keep things simple but sleeping tethered requires more than I originally expected. Whatever it takes to get good sleep is worth it .
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi dustyrose, welcome to the forum!

I often use the Mirage Quattro with a Gecko gel pad, but it does tend to bruise my nose bridge.

Recently, I mostly use the Quattro FX Full Face mask with a RemZzz mask liner. This bruises my nose far less. I plan to try the Pad A Cheek liners also some day. I use high pressure (often above 20 cmH2O) so I need to keep the straps fairly tight, but one needs to be careful not to over-tighten the straps to the point that the straps are uncomfortably tight. The mask liners make the leaks less noticeable and bothersome, so I don't need to tighten the mask as tightly as otherwise.

I use the FitLife Total Face Mask occasionally, whenever my nose bridge needs a rest, but I find it tends to pull my lower jaw back, inward which slowly pulls my lower teeth back, out of place. I have been meaning to make a mask liner for the FitLife TFM to see if it would enable me to wear the mask less tightly, less uncomfortably.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Fitting a mask sitting up in a chair is not productive. Laying on your back, when you drop off to sleep, your facial muscles will relax and your face tends to fall away from the mask, and the farting sounds start.

I started six years ago at 15.2 fixed with a Quattro mask. Since the leak sounds will keep me awake or wake me up, I have to keep the mask very tight. The Quattro did wear an open sore on the bridge of my nose but with careful tightening of the straps, I could go all night sometimes without leaks.

I am convinced that the tight mask caused my four bottom from teeth to get loose, for which I now have a permanent six tooth crown to replace those lost four teeth.

I tried mask after mask after mask and nothing worked as well as the Quattro, nose damage and all. About 2.5 years ago I tried a fitlife complete full face, eyes and all, and am still using any one of the four I have.

The mask is large but I have to use the small headgear to keep the geometry tolerable, and may have to try an extra large. The mask tends to drop down over my eyebrows a little and then shoots air up across my forehead. the extra large may alleviate that and also the leaks just beyond the corners of my mouth.

What I am trying to say here is that I like the fitlife better than the open sore on the bridge of my nose, but I do not seem to sleep as undisturbed through the night, although I still do NOT get up during the night to urinate. I may be sleeping better than it seems.

My new machine does run up to 19.6 during the night. I will be downloading the software to be able to look at the charts myself.
Jim Quarles
hosehead
Illegitimus non Carborundum
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-29-2013, 09:10 PM)FS560 Wrote: About 2.5 years ago I tried a fitlife complete full face, eyes and all, and am still using any one of the four I have.

The mask is large but I have to use the small headgear to keep the geometry tolerable, and may have to try an extra large.

Hi FS560, welcome to the forum!

I have the new Extra Large size Fitlife Total Face Mask that became available about a year ago.

I made the big mistake of accepting the standard Extra Large size headgear that came with it, which is ridiculously, incredibly, incomprehensibly huge.

Understand, I have a big head. I often have trouble finding a cap or hat which can fit me. But I wish I had taken back the Extra Large headgear right away. I suspect the FitLife medium size headgear (not Large) would probably work much better for me.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Jeez, I feel terrible for you. Many good replies from caring people on this site that take the time to help others. I will offer one feeble piece of advice.

Can you try to loosen the mask as much as possible. Lay on your back on try to go to sleep on your back. Then maybe you could fall asleep and end up waking up in the morning without have moving an inch. It happened to me almost exactly that way and I turned a major corner. Hang in there.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.