Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help With Camping plz!
Help With Camping plz!
I am mentally handicapped. I tried to look at the other posts on this but since the accident I can not focus on something very hard. I am hoping someone here can help tell me what I need to go camping. My nephews want me to go and I am dreading not being able to sleep without my maschine and I am I dont want to say no to them.

So what I have is a PR System One Bipap Pro

100-240 VAC 50/60 Hz

it has a heated humidifier and my pressure number is 14... if that matters.

I have only the cable that plugs it into the wall normally. I dont have any attachments or converters. I have almost 200.00 and I can buy hopefully what i need with that much,.

If i could order them on Amazon it would be nice, but I can also have a friend drive me to Walmart if i need to.

So can someone help me/.? and link to me the things that i need to buy. Pictures are helpful is why I am asking for links. Plus i can copy and paste them to buy it online if possible.

I am thankful to anyone who can help me
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help With Camping plz!
I was looking for something similar.

Compact Portable 12V Super CPAP Battery Pack

do a search and you will find it.

I will love for some real life experiences with it before I buy it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Bigmurph762,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-02-2013, 09:51 PM)dangar Wrote: I was looking for something similar.

Compact Portable 12V Super CPAP Battery Pack

do a search and you will find it.

I will love for some real life experiences with it before I buy it.

Personally i use a 12v inverter. They are 40 dollars from Walmart or any other retailer and will run off any 12v battery.

The dedicated cpap batteries are very expensive and will not last long (8 hours is a real push)

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-09-2013, 03:18 PM)smallwoodst Wrote: Personally i use a 12v inverter. They are 40 dollars from Walmart or any other retailer and will run off any 12v battery.

The dedicated cpap batteries are very expensive and will not last long (8 hours is a real push)

An inverter is actually the worst of all worlds. Most modern CPAP machines can accept a direct 12V input. By running through an inverter, you are experiencing the power loss not only of the inverter (converting 12VDC to 120VAC) but also of the power brick (converting 120VAC back to 12VDC). That's like talking to someone by talking to a English->French interpreter, who then talks to a French->English interpreter, who then talks to your conversation partner in English.

A battery has a certain energy capacity, and the CPAP device has a certain power (energy per time) requirement. Whether you run through an inverter or as a direct 12V input, the power requirements (and therefore energy drain from the battery) for the CPAP unit do not change. The difference is the additional energy drain because of the inverter losses and power brick losses.

Any battery that survives the night running through an inverter will last even longer if used as a direct 12V input to the machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-09-2013, 04:49 PM)RonWessels Wrote:
(07-09-2013, 03:18 PM)smallwoodst Wrote: Personally i use a 12v inverter. They are 40 dollars from Walmart or any other retailer and will run off any 12v battery.

An inverter is actually the worst of all worlds.

For efficiency yes. for cost No.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-10-2013, 01:33 PM)smallwoodst Wrote:
(07-09-2013, 04:49 PM)RonWessels Wrote:

An inverter is actually the worst of all worlds.

For efficiency yes. for cost No.

I don't follow. If it's less efficient won't it cost more in the longrun?
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-10-2013, 01:33 PM)smallwoodst Wrote: For efficiency yes. for cost No.

Really? A quick google search turned up the Respironics 12V power cord on sale various places for around $25. Add another $10 (max) for the cigarette lighter socket adapter for the battery and you are still less than your $40 inverter.

(07-10-2013, 01:45 PM)Paptillian Wrote: I don't follow. If it's less efficient won't it cost more in the longrun?

In this case, efficiency relates to the amount of time that any given battery can power the unit. If the lower efficiency is still sufficient for your purposes, there is no reason not to spend more for the less efficient solution.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quite true.

I was reponding to the "real" battery pack.

12V fron car battery is ofcource even cheaper.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-11-2013, 10:18 AM)smallwoodst Wrote: 12V fron car battery is ofcource even cheaper.

Don't use your car battery. It's not designed to deep-cycle like a hybrid 12-volt Marine Deep Cycle battery or true Deep Cycle battery is. Car batteries are designed for a lot of amps delivered in just a few seconds (like starting a car)... they're not designed for extended periods of low-amp draw. Yeah, you might get a good night's sleep, but you might not be going anywhere in the morning 'cause your car won't start.

Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lowenstein Prisma 20A - how can I work out energy usage for camping? JamesD0079 4 625 02-15-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: JamesD0079
  Camping with CPAP - any tips? SuperSleeper 43 7,630 10-16-2023, 07:08 PM
Last Post: Hintertux
  [Equipment] CPAP and Camping Dogberto 2 571 07-16-2023, 05:41 PM
Last Post: Dogberto
  CPAP Substitute While Camping or Traveling Liegeinski 10 2,627 01-23-2023, 01:09 AM
Last Post: RainbowFish
  Dry Camping with CPAP ApneaticBill 2 787 06-08-2022, 01:25 PM
Last Post: ApneaticBill
  [Equipment] Cold-weather camping? tundranapper 4 877 05-26-2022, 07:23 AM
Last Post: RNeil
  Small camping CPAP + battery system recommendations Greg_R 0 1,008 10-18-2021, 04:27 PM
Last Post: Greg_R

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.