Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Starting my ASV journey
RE: Sleep doctor visit today
(05-30-2018, 05:58 PM)gwc2795 Wrote: Had my 90 day visit after getting new bipap.
I informed the doctor that I was no longer using the Aircurve 10 S she prescribed, that I have purchased an Aircurve 10 Vauto to try and improve my treatment and that I did not feel any better. I told her that I had an AHI <5 with both machines but did not feel rested. I told her I had purchased an ASV VPAP Adapt and was feeling much better after treatment. She explained that the ASV helps people breathe regularly. I showed her a close of of a sleepyhead chart and she said I have CSR's with CA's. She entered that in my chart and said the next time I needed an machine she would write the prescription for the ASV; none of the other machines would do.

I talked with her about problems with mask that the F20 airfit closed my nose and I could not adapt to the P10. She said the P10 would not work for me because my type of breathing would cause it to leak when the machine responded. She said she was writing a prescription for a mask that might be better and to call her if it did not work so we could try others.

I feel much better about it now.

Oh and I am returning the Aircurve 10 S to the DME.

That is fantastic! I love the stories of patients taking their doctors for some schoolin'!
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sleep doctor visit today
(05-30-2018, 06:36 PM)JesseLee Wrote: That is fantastic! I love the stories of patients taking their doctors for some schoolin'!

In this case, though, it sounds much more like a collaboration between doc & patient, with the doctor co-operating and being quite reasonable and intelligent, which is certainly refreshing. I'd love for my doc to be like that. Fortunately for me, I don't need anything special (my case is average), so it's not a problem. But I suspect that the typical response of a typically egotistical sleepydoc to what gwc2795 said & did would be more along the lines of "I didn't approve that, and you're doing things that have not been prescribed and going behind my back by getting your own machine and changing your therapy. Shame on you! I won't condone this headstrong behavior of yours."

gwc's doc does seem to understand, bless her, that what we mostly need from docs is their prescription-writing function, preferably customized (ASV machine, better mask) as he described. Insurance and Apnea Board should take care of most of the rest.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Starting my ASV journey
Glad to see the improved results on ASV. You are in the higher range of EPAP pressures for members that use this technology, so the complex aspect of your apnea is asserting itself. The UA you zoomed into is clearly obstructive, and the machine was doing its best to supply breaths based on your respiratory rate preceding the event. Your results are great. I'm wondering if your insurance might cover ASV now that you have demonstrated efficacy and are returning the VPAP S machine. There are a number of examples in your graph where the machine is augmenting the respiratory rate, where you might otherwise be experiencing hypopnea or apnea.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,352 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Journey to cure UARS. OSCAR data attached gzaw 5 929 03-19-2024, 03:39 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Slept fully twice in 3 months since starting CPAP for CSA redking2436 13 672 02-18-2024, 08:30 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP journey start - please help (thread) Negligee1136 48 4,276 01-29-2024, 03:54 AM
Last Post: zaienk
  Seeing large number of clear airway events after starting new medication PapaColin 5 323 01-20-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Dr. Steven Park details his UARS journey gainerfull 3 622 12-18-2023, 12:01 PM
Last Post: srwilsn3
  heart palpitations starting CPAP: temporary? acordeon 4 630 12-14-2023, 08:49 PM
Last Post: acordeon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.