Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Higher OAs with Full Face Mask?
RE: Higher OAs with Full Face Mask?
(04-08-2012, 10:27 AM)Sleepster Wrote: Well, if you're convinced you're not mouth-breathing, and you're getting a lower AHI with the pillows, it seems that's the way to go.

I'm starting to think that would be the best as long as some leaking is acceptable. The mask pressure is staying constant so maybe the therapy is not being compromised with the leaking. If the only issue is the possibility of obscuring Apnea events then I will probably just keep the full face mask the DME gave me as a backup mask and use the pillow mask I bought as the main mask.

Quote:
Is this boil&bite mouthpiece the device used to prevent teeth grinding, a night guard? You can get one made for you by a dentist that'll hopefully be more comfortable. I wear one, but it didn't stop me from mouth-breathing.

The device is made from 2 sports mouth guards but the more expensive night guard for grinding would probably work as well. Basically a tongue tray (to position the tongue) is fabricated from one and attached to the second guard (that fits the teeth as normal). It then keeps the tongue positioned back in the mouth which in turn helps to create a seal greatly reducing leaks, (The instructions can be found with a search for "mouthleaks solution, cheap DIY oral appliance" written by frequenseeker). It has been very effective for me but sleeping with something in my mouth is somewhat uncomfortable. Having a dentist make one was a suggestion mentioned in the original "How To". Might be a good option if the result is more comfortable.

I also might be able to get used to wearing the device/guard with time but if some leaking is acceptable I may just skip it.

Quote:
Taping is dangerous, but I don't understand how you were able to mouth-breathe with your mouth taped shut!

Too-funny Actually I only taped with a single strip from the chin, over the middle of the lips and onto the side on my nose. I think it did keep my mouth closed and stop the leaking but was so uncomfortable I pulled it off after about 45 minutes.

Thanks for the input Steepster!
"Goodnight Chesty wherever you are!"
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Higher OAs with Full Face Mask?
(04-08-2012, 11:37 AM)pssnn Wrote: Actually I only taped with a single strip from the chin, over the middle of the lips and onto the side on my nose.

There's a product called Chin-Up Strips. After watching the video on how to apply them, I fashioned my own from three separate strips of tape. They work quite well, and are marketed as snore preventers. They are uncomfortable, though.

I no longer use my chin strap or anything else designed to prevent mouth-breathing because I no longer wake up in the middle of the night doing it.

On many mornings, though, I wake up to find my humidifier tank half empty. I guess I must still be mouth-breathing!
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Can pressure wanting to go higher actually be due to leakage? richapple 1 107 03-15-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 527 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 16,611 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  [Diagnosis] WatchPAT sleep apena diagnosis low AHI higher RDI. Need advice godiego 22 3,432 02-28-2024, 02:39 PM
Last Post: godiego
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 702 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 399 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 448 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.