Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help deceasing flow limitations
Help deceasing flow limitations
I am using a airsense 10 autoset.  I recently raised my minimum pressure to 10(from 8) as recommended by the forum.I am using an EPR of 1.  I have always had a large number of flow limitations and even though my AHI on this night is very good,is there something I can do to decrease the fl?
Thanks for your advice.
I am using the for her algorithm since my last sleep study showed a significant residual and RERA  events.
RERA  101
RDI     17.9

I don't wake up refreshed at all.

https://i.imgur.com/93gS4Ez.png
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help deceasing flow limitations
Yankees, what we are going to do is treat your CPAP like a bilevel. Set EPR at 3, and add 3 cm to the pressure that stops obstructive apnea. It appears your current median EPAP of 9.8 does a very good job, so this means your minimum pressure would be set to 12.8 with EPR 3.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks sleep rider.  I already raised my min pressure from 8 to 10.  Going to 12.8 seems like a large jump.  Also an 
EPR of 3 might raise my CA's? 
Really appreciate your help, would more screenshots of other days help?
Post Reply Post Reply
You're fine. We just use the minimum EPAP pressure on Autoset as a starting point. It is the pressure difference between EPAP and IPAP that gives you the pressure support to deal with flow limits and hypopnea. I'd rather that you use the information and make your own decision, than to just take a suggestion I make verbatim. Let us know how it works out.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider,  Just to understand you,do you usually start with epr of 3 and add it to the median EPAP pressure to get to the minimum pressure (IPAP)and then see how you do? Then if CA's appear then you would reduce your epr?
Right now with my median EPAP of 9.8 and my epr at 1, my ipap of 10.0 is too low I am thinking.I think I understand what you mean that my starting pressure is too low to respond to flow limitations.  Am I thinking this clearly.
If so,how do you determine the median epap to use?  Do you take an average of a weeks data of median epap's or do you look at the ahi over time to determine this number? Really want to understand this as my sleep doctor is no help.
Post Reply Post Reply
That is a pretty accurate description of what I'm doing. Your case is a little more difficult because we are yet to find a consistently good solution, and the approach I describe really only works if centrals don't become an issue. I try to think of the Autoset as a limited capability bilevel (aircurve). EPAP needs to be set at a level that controls OA. If we still see hypopnea and flow limits, then add 3 cm to that EPAP for the minimum pressure. That protects EPAP when EPR of 3 is used. The result is an effective EPAP for OA with pressure support of 3-cm for the flow limits...convoluted thinking, but it works more often than not.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Really appreciate your help and advice.  I will get back in a few days with more data.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Adjusting for flow limitations jane2911 10 293 03-25-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: jane2911
  [Equipment] HELP - BIPAP-ST Restricting Inhalation/Exhalation Air Flow / Tidal Volume PAPPER101 3 107 03-24-2024, 09:29 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  flow limitations acceptable levels yankees123 27 1,600 03-23-2024, 02:41 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 140 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 134 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  What is that spike in Flow limit? urachan 7 497 03-16-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: urachan

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.