Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help finding a mask
Help finding a mask
I have a Phillips Respironics system one -560p with a Res Med Mirage Fx wide. I tend to sleep on my back and side.
My doctor started me at 8 to start off with. I did ok and adjusted pretty good to using the cpap overall. On my titration study it was decided I needed to be at 12 to 13. My machine has now set to 12 with c-flex 1. I am having all kinds of problems with air blowing into my eyes now. I have had nights so bad that I never fell asleep the whole night.

My DME is going to come out tomorrow to talk about other options. I may have to buy this mask on my own because I am past the first month. Any advice would be very helpful.
thank you
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help finding a mask
HI BS170, glad to see you here.

There are about as many opinions as to what is the best mask as there are kinds of masks. If you are having problems with air blowing in your eyes, I would suggest you look into a "pillows" mask. If you are able to use a nasal mask you should be able to use a pillows mask just fine. I use the Resmed Airfit P10 and it works very well for me. I do have to use a chinstrap to keep my mouth shut though. If you don't have to do that with your nasal mask that should not be an issue with a pillows mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum BS170.

This mask is made for people with flatter nasal bridges. It sounds like the new pressure is too much for this mask on your face. See what your DME has to offer. If you can get a different mask, see if you can try it out one way or another.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome bs170, in my opinion you have asked one of the hardest questions going.
The world of masks is like a minefield!
There are so many types, shapes and sizes to choose from as you will already know.
I am using the pillows retired_guy mentioned, ResMed Airfit P10 and after a bit of adjustment I am finding it a very comfortable, suitable mask.
I also had good success with ResMed Swift FX, a mask that doesn't take up a lot of face space.
Hang in here and I am sure plenty of other people will give you their tried and tested suggestions.
Best of luck.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi BS170

In the past I tried the Res Med Mirage , and Res Med Mirage Fx, and had problems with air blowing in my eyes.
Currently I am using the ResMed Swift FX & ResMed Swift FX Nano, both of which work well for me. The only disadvantage with Swift FX & Swift FX Nano is the noise level at high pressure, & the airstream blowing from the vent. This problem is solved with the ResMed AirFit P10, which I have not yet been able to try. The ResMed Swift FX Nano works well for people who have issued with nasal pillow masks, or have a sensitive nasal bridge.

;-> gjw
Post Reply Post Reply
Sometimes people just have the wrong size mask.
I use a ResMed Quattro Full-face mask like PaytonA.
Mine is marked "M" on the mask cushion.
A small or Large just would not work for me.

Now, a DME that makes home visits -- that's news to me.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
It can take a lot of masks to find the right one. Ask them about their mask trial period. Most of them have this where you get to try a mask for a time period before being charged for it.

The mask is the most important part of CPAP treatment. You can have the best CPAP in the world but it is useless if the mask doesn't fit or you hate it or, worse, it leaves sore spots.

Many of us went through a LOT of masks until we found one that works. And we continue to change them as newer and better masks keep getting made.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all the help. I am working on trying a few different masks.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Finding right mask- 1 week in GOIRISH65 3 223 03-02-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  If you're finding your CPAP uncomfortable ... Dr.Bob 4 592 11-10-2023, 11:55 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  [CPAP] Unique finding? Looking for recommendations and any expertise. gold3n 5 662 11-04-2023, 01:47 PM
Last Post: paulag1955
  [Pressure] Need help finding the right pressure. kidchameleon 57 4,968 07-28-2023, 08:16 PM
Last Post: kidchameleon
  Help finding my Bipap machine taken by mistake on airline orthoal 6 603 06-16-2023, 03:55 PM
Last Post: orthoal
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,525 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Struggling finding the right settings for flow limitations snakewrestler 20 1,941 01-25-2023, 09:47 AM
Last Post: snakewrestler

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.