Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help for New cpap user, dreamstation bipap s/t
RE: Help for New cpap user, dreamstation bipap s/t
Brilliant, I will get that to you ASAP, just waiting on a humidifier to turn up so I can start using it. Thank you for all your input
Post Reply Post Reply
Whoever owned the machine previously, those settings are set up for someone with respiratory problems. You definitely don't want to use anything remotely similar if your diagnosis is sleep apnea. 

As stated already, for now just use S mode and a modest start point of 10/6 or 12/8, and see what happens. I'd sell the machine though, and then buy a ResMed VAuto.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your advice, I will be trying the S mode for now and see how I get along with it, seems that it will do the job for now, I’ll start looking for a new bipap auto to replace this with eventually.. only bought it cause I got it ridiculously cheap and it’s basically brand new.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-06-2019, 05:58 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: My suggestions for obstructive apnea are:
Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset (auto CPAP)
Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto (Auto bilevel)
Dreamstation Auto CPAP DSX500
Dreamstation BiPAP Auto DSX700

Preference goes to Resmed over Philips for most applications due to better response and comfort.  A fixed pressure machine is better for some, but in general auto is more user friendly for self-titration.  Don't worry about it and I'm sure you will succee, sod and may eventually move to a different machine.  The NHS is not a very easy system to navigate, and it's best you have gotten started.

Hi there, so managed to finally get everything up and running, got my hands on a brand new Dreamstation Apap Auto DSX500 with a humidifier. So I’m up and ready for my first test result with the Oscar program.

Now a few questions I would appreciate some help with, the APAP I've set to 12 on high and 8 on low, is this an good start off point? Also I’m hearing conflicting information on the APAP vs bipap thing, some people are telling me I’m better off using the bipap as it’s “better” but I think you made it pretty clear that APAP is the Better choice so just want to double check.

Thank you in advanced for your input! 
Post Reply Post Reply
Your issues appear to be obstructive sleep apnea. I have a pretty strong preference for Resmed over Philips Machines, and if auto bilevel is available, then that is usually better than CPAP. So in order my preference would be Resmed Vauto, Philips Auto bilevel, Resmed Autoset, Philips CPAP auto. The S/T was apparently the wrong machine, so using a pressure from 8 to 12 in auto CPAP with data capability, will let us better see what your needs are. Your S/T machine was setup to provide extremely high pressure support, and inappropriate pressure. You have not shared any data with us and without more information on what you're trying to treat, it is difficult to be more specific. For Auto CPAP, I think I would set the minimum pressure at 8.0 and maximum pressure at 16.0, and we can narrow in on more appropriate settings.

I would have really appreciated hearing more from you before just learning you have another machine. I have no idea why you were on a S/T machine with those extreme settings unless perhaps you suffer from hypoventilation in addition to obstructive apnea. I feel like you may have drawn some premature conclusions from things I was saying in order to learn more about your condition and needs.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-16-2019, 07:30 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Your issues appear to be obstructive sleep apnea.  I have a pretty strong preference for Resmed over Philips Machines, and if auto bilevel is available, then that is usually better than CPAP. So in order my preference would be Resmed Vauto, Philips Auto bilevel, Resmed Autoset, Philips CPAP auto.  The S/T was apparently the wrong machine, so using a pressure from 8 to 12 in auto CPAP with data capability, will let us better see what your needs are.  Your S/T machine was setup to provide extremely high pressure support, and inappropriate pressure.  You have not shared any data with us and without more information on what you're trying to treat, it is difficult to be more specific.  For Auto CPAP, I think I would set the minimum pressure at 8.0 and maximum pressure at 16.0, and we can narrow in on more appropriate settings.  

I would have really appreciated hearing more from you before just learning you have another machine.  I have no idea why you were on a S/T machine with those extreme settings unless perhaps you suffer from hypoventilation in addition to obstructive apnea.  I feel like you may have drawn some premature conclusions from things I was saying in order to learn more about your condition and needs.
Hi, I really tried hard to find a resmed aircurve 10 v auto and I managed to come across one and was 1500£ which is out Of my budget specially since I managed to get both the dreamstation s/t and auto for 150£ each so it was a no brainier to get them just biased on the bargain factor.

I have not actually had the chance to use either one yet hence the lack of data but hopefully planning to use the apap tonight at the recommended settings you’ve made, so I will get the data to you as soon as I can. And as I previously mentioned I have not been diagnosed with sleep apnea by a dr or anything, only got into the cpap scene as I’m a bodybuilder at a body weight of 125kgs and it came to my attention that if you snore heavily you need an cpap which I do and after some research it’s pretty obvious that I do suffer from some form of sleep apnea for sure since I have all/most of the related issues with sleep apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply
One thing I've found over the years is that if you chop and change, different machines, different settings every night you will never find the cure. For now, just work with the machine you have, follow Sleeprider's advice on settings and let us see some data. So far everybody is guessing, as we haven't seen a single bit of data. Once we have that, then we'll be in a much better position to understand what the underlying problem is, what's the most appropriate machine, and the most appropriate settings.

In the old adage, σπεῦδε βραδέως, hasten slowly.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-17-2019, 03:46 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: One thing I've found over the years is that if you chop and change, different machines, different settings every night you will never find the cure. For now, just work with the machine you have, follow Sleeprider's advice on settings and let us see some data. So far everybody is guessing, as we haven't seen a single bit of data. Once we have that, then we'll be in a much better position to understand what the underlying problem is, what's the most appropriate machine, and the most appropriate settings.

In the old adage, σπεῦδε βραδέως, hasten slowly.

Yes your correct, thins can get confusing. I will be using the apap to start with and if I need the bipap then will change over and eventually sell the one I don’t need. Hopefully I will be able to get some data for you guys tonight and upload tomorrow. Really appreciate all the help!
Post Reply Post Reply
hi guys, I've managed to get my first night with the recommended settings 8min/16max) I have uploaded the data to Oscar but not sure what part of the data is relevant for here so if someone could advise me what I should screen shot and upload for you to take a look at and give me some feedback on hopefully. thank you
Post Reply Post Reply
Please read through the links in my signature. below.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 53 1,634 04-18-2024, 05:25 PM
Last Post: Pawpri
  [CPAP] New CPAP User - Help Understanding CPAP data and Pressure Spikes Sleepin 3 199 04-12-2024, 06:36 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  Which machine to get for initial self treatment - Auto CPAP vs. BIPAP ST MVoltaire 8 250 04-04-2024, 04:01 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New BiPAP user with UARS(?) tk2234 23 894 03-24-2024, 08:11 PM
Last Post: tk2234
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 404 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Newer CPAP User, still snoring Warnick13 45 1,807 03-11-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Warnick13
  [Pressure] New CPAP user - Please help interpreting graphs fsdx2004 40 2,261 03-07-2024, 08:01 AM
Last Post: fsdx2004

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.