Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help for a newbie....
Help for a newbie....
Hi.... 

I'm a newbie... 

Its been over 6 months sense I made an appointment with the pulmonologist and I just got diagnosed with mild sleep apnea (12.8). Still waiting for my script and the CPAP supplier is out another 3 weeks. So I bought a ResMed 10 normal CPAP and I got my hands on a N20 nasal mask. Everything feels fits and feels fine... no problem sleeping with the mask... hardly any leaking (4.8 leak rate). I am currently at a CPAP pressure of 8.4. I had a AHI of 8.83 this last night.... mostly caused by this event. 

I am using both OSCAR and SleepHQ.  Last night I had a 'clear airway' event. I don't know if the pressure is causing central apnea or I need to raise the pressure to help with some of the obstructive events. 

I also took a bit less than half of a xanax(.25m) before I went to bed. Which is a very low dose of less than .125 mg.  I take them on a as needed basis.... a few times a month. I heard that they can cause central apnea. 

I also had a B1 deficiency as a result of long Covid.... which caused insomnia.  So I take B1 everyday.

I understand that its a long game and we need more data... but it would be nice to get some input. 

Thanks.
RJ

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help for a newbie....
Hi,

Pressure is of no help for clear airway events. The airway is.... clear. It is open. The problem is the nervous system that does not trigger the action to breath. Usually, this requires a BiPAP instead of a CPAP.

Please, post the complete graphs with pressure, flow limitation, etc. Also, you can use EPR to try to help that. EPR will reduce the pressure when you exhale and re-increase it when you inhale.
Post Reply Post Reply
I saw a video from the Australian guy on 'CPAP Reviews' on YouTube.... He said that you can get central sleep apnea episodes if your pressure is too high because the pressure isn't letting you to exhaust your breath properly.
Post Reply Post Reply
RJ Thomas,

Post full OSCAR scan.

It is common to get Centrals at the beginning of therapy.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...pnea_(CSA)

What did your sleep study show?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 372 11 hours ago
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 128 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 199 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 476 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 263 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 292 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.