Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help for my first week please (includes OSCARs)
Help for my first week please (includes OSCARs)
Hi all, a couple of weeks ago I was finally sent an APEX Auto XT  by my DME supplier. I could not tolerate it more than 2-3 hours of use for a few days , due to feeling like I could not expel enough air. Well I found this board and realized I needed to advocate for myself. DME is working on getting me an Airsense 10 Autoset. This is the unit that I tested during the second half of my sleep study with great results. I felt so refreshed after the study, that I knew CPAP was going to change my life. Unfortunately, the DME sent me a cheap unit that wouldn't even interface with OSCAR.

I am lucky to have found a friend that had an unsused Airsense 10 Autoset. I am now borrowing it while the DME finds one for me. The first 2 nights (Sep 30 and Oct 1 OSCAR reports attaced) were just like the sleep study night- excellent! I woke up about 2 hours earlier than usual and felt absolutely great. The great feeling went on throughout the day (no more fogginess, no headache, no mid day crash, just pure happiness and productivity). However, the next few nights went back to problems. I mainly found that I was waking up very often for the first couple of hours. I even questioned if I had actually fallen asleep of not. I finally decided to pull off the mask and fall sleep without it (Oct 2 and Oct 7 OSCAR reports attached).

So I spent the day yesterday trying to figure out settings and OSCAR. I read up on threads and decided to try the Autoset mode with pressure settings 4-10 (I was prescribed CPAP with pressure at 9). I also set EPR to 3 and Auto Ramp at 4. Unfortunately, I actually had more problems last night with these settings (Oct 8 OSCAR report attached). Again I felt like I wasn't sure if I ever actually fell alseep. After about 3 hours in, I started feeling like I was gettin enough air, as well as feeling like my exhales were labored. At this point, I abandoned the mask at remained awak for about 3 hours, feeling like I couldn't catch my breath easily. 

I know I'm throwing a lot out here for a beginner with only 1 week into therpay, but I'm hoping someone can help me by looking at the OSCARs. I'm desparate to make this work, and I know its possible (based on my sleed study night and the Sep 30 and Oct 1 nights). I need to feel alive again    Oh-jeez

Here are the other 2 OSCARs that wouldn't fit on the first post...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help for my first week please (includes OSCARs)
I'm not an expert, so can't speak to all your settings. 

But... your machine can't go lower than 4cmw, so with your minimum pressure at 4cmw your EPR is not functioning at all.

That could make your exhales feel labored.

Your minimum pressure needs to be at least 7cmw to get the benefit of EPR 3.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help for my first week please (includes OSCARs)
Brazen is absolutely right: you don't get the benefits of EPR with a pressure of 4, and a lot of people feel air-starved at 4. Definitely use EPR of 3, and definitely don't set a minimum lower than 7. While you're at it, I'd suggest turning off the ramp.

October 2nd you had some obstructive apneas, which can't have helped you sleep, and on the 8th you were dealing with pressure swings and those low pressures.

We all have good nights and bad nights of sleep. You did very well with that fixed 9, so try going back to that. Stick with it for at least three more nights; one night does not a trend make.

A few other remarks. It's GREAT that you're insisting on a ResMed machine -- stick to your guns! And it's also great that you've come here, are using Oscar, and are educating yourself. I think you'll soon have all this licked; you're off to an excellent start.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New user OSCAR data after one week Everlong 2 103 03-26-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Everlong
  First week with CPAP Oscar - Adjustments phillyfan24 5 484 03-09-2024, 10:27 PM
Last Post: phillyfan24
  [NEW USER] First Week - Help Getting Oriented rarmstrong26 4 202 03-05-2024, 09:33 PM
Last Post: rarmstrong26
  Finding right mask- 1 week in GOIRISH65 3 222 03-02-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  First week - One "good" night and waking up with mask off most nights ghost10 9 682 12-15-2023, 11:56 AM
Last Post: ghost10
  My Mother did an In-Lab sleep study last week. Phaleronic 4 503 11-22-2023, 05:03 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  First week CPAP. Had such high hopes...advice tuumi2000 2 563 09-16-2023, 07:47 PM
Last Post: tuumi2000

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.