Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help getting my AHIs back down below 3
Help getting my AHIs back down below 3
Hi!

I was diagnosed with OSA twelve years ago and in a sleep study last August, I was diagnosed with Complex SA and CSA. Initially, I was prescribed with a Resprionics Bipap ST, which brought my AHIs down to the 20’s and after another sleep study in April, my pulmonologist prescribed the PR System One Bipap Auto SV Advanced which I’ve been using since early May. After increasing my EPAP to 8 mid-June (my Rise Time is 3), I have had relatively low AHIs (below 4) but over the past two weeks, I have had 9 days of AHIs above 6 and as high as 13! I haven’t done anything differently except getting a new mask cushion, which helped for a day or two. Does anyone have a suggestion in helping me get my AHI’s back down to 3 or below?

Thanks!!

Jeffo1

http://i64.tinypic.com/2hy9krc.jpg[/IMG]

http://i67.tinypic.com/2elwgbd.jpg[/IMG]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help getting my AHIs back down below 3
The PR ASV... I think we need user Sleeprider to help you.
He knows PR machines inside and out; plus knows how the ASV works.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the vote of confidence JM, but much of this game is trial and error.

Jeffo1, you're still showing obstruction as a major feature. You're going to need to increase EPAP by 0.5 increments until that reaches acceptable levels. I'd leave other settings the same. Can you list your settings mode. It looks like you have plenty of pressure support to deal with centrals. FWIW the Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV seems to be easier for some people to get in sync with. If your doctor or supplier is open to trying something else, that's what I'd do.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, Sleeprider!

I've increased my EPAP minimum to 8.5 so we'll see how the next week goes. What is the highest one could go regarding EPAP minimum?

Here are my settings, as you requested. Maybe there's something that might eventually need adjusting?

Max Prep 25
EPAP min. 8.5
EPAP Max 15
PS Min 3
PS Max 15
BPM 14
Ti 1.4
Flex Type - none
Rise Time 3
Ramp Time 0
Tubing Type 15H
Humidity Level 3
Tube Temp 3

Is there anything I'm missing?

Thanks for your help!

Best,

Jeffo1
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi!

I thought maybe this copy of my Sleepy Head statistics might shed some light on why my AHI continues to recently be high:

[Image: 2wo9jea.jpg]

Jeffo1

Post Reply Post Reply
Everything looks good. We don't know medical history so my only comment is on Ti max (inspiration time), with a median respiratory rate of 14-15 bpm as shown in your data, normal Ti max would be 2.0-2.1. Shorter Ti max at that respiration rate would be appropriate for restrictive or obstructive respiratory issues. You might want to try a longer Ti max and see if that keeps you from feeling cut-off and results in better sync.

Note you are also using the slowest rise time (time it takes for machine to reach IPAP pressure from EPAP), so the longer Ti may help. Both rise time and Ti are comfort features and you can experiment with what works best.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks! I'll try going to a 2.0 Ti and see how I do.
Post Reply Post Reply
Reading this thread it looks like BiPap machines need far more finesse than ordinary CPAP/APAP and Sleeprider knows his stuff!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,954 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Wake and can't get back to sleep hydra 11 514 02-23-2024, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Lucid
  [Symptoms] Help my symptoms got better at first but then they came back after a month LordofthStrings 14 930 02-22-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: LordofthStrings
  Side sleeper vs. Back sleeper readings Bob Cali 4 395 02-21-2024, 09:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Help figuring out why symptoms are back Jess2117 1 293 02-21-2024, 06:39 PM
Last Post: MikeR20
  Back at it after a few years HomerJ 7 539 02-18-2024, 12:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Trouble Breathing, take off mask and put back on, then no trouble? mogulman 0 233 02-13-2024, 06:10 PM
Last Post: mogulman

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.