Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help hooking up SleepyHead to S9 and CMS50
Help hooking up SleepyHead to S9 and CMS50
Hi All,

I am trying to figure out the HARDWARE cabling needed to interface my S9 to the computer (For SleepyHead) and also hooking up a CMS50[x] pulse oximeter to the computer [to SleepyHead]. Haven't received any of this stuff yet to look it over, so trying to anticipate what I will need to order it now.

I have never used an SD card or reader, so don't know what the connector looks like. I have USB ports on the computer and a 9 pin and a 15 pin ports. I don't see an SD port, but not sure what they look like.

I've read I need an SD adapter and then an SD CARD READER. Confused.

Exactly what will I need to connect the S9 SD card to the computer (usb port?) and also connect an outboard CMS50 on a separate cable? Should I get the CMS50D, E or Plus?

The S9 will arrive on Monday, so I'm trying to prepare cabling beforehand. I already have SleepyHead downloaded and ready to go.

Anything else I may have missed to get this system operational?

Thanks.

Tom
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help hooking up SleepyHead to S9 and CMS50
Tommy.. you are going to need a SD card reader. You simply remove the SD card from the CPAP and plug it into the reader. THen plug the reader into one of your (any one it fits) USB ports of the computer. The card reader is a very small (about 1/1/2 to 2 inches long) and can be purchased (go cheap) for about a couple of bucks at most places that deal with photography, walmart, drug stores, etc. Some of them come with a cord (not necessary) and some don't.

I know nothing about the attachments needed for your oximeter.
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply
You don't hardwire your S9 to sleepyhead. You take the card out of the machine and put it into a reader on your computer. It will be a little slot on the front of your desktop (usually at the top above the CD drive) or somewhere on a laptop.

If you have an external card reader, they connect via USB cable. It should have come with the reader. External readers are quite cheap. Take the card with you to the store (Best Buy, for example) and tell the salesperson you need a reader for it. Don't get the most expensive. The S9 uses a widely used memory card which most computers and external readers have a slot for. You may even be able to find a little USB reader that takes just that type of card.

(go to BestBuy's website, click on Products, click on (or hover the mouse over) Cameras & Camcorders. Then click on Memory cards and readers, then Card Readers and Adapters. They have a HUGE selection but it will give you an idea of what you are looking for. To narrow down the choices, go by brand. I like IOGear, Targus, and Kingston, but that's my personal preference.)

I doubt you'd need an adapter. If you ever see the tiny little card in your cell phone camera, those nearly always need an adapter to interface with the computer, even if it has a card reader. They are very small so the adapter makes them easier to handle (to insert and remove).

Consult the sleepyhead help site for how to import the data from the card into sleepyhead.

Here's how to use the data from the oximeter.
Import the data into Sleepyhead
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead
Using the software that comes with the oximeter.
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...2_software

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the info, Paula and Judge -

I just picked up an SD card reader so all set for the S9 into the computer.

Still trying to figger out what is the best choice for the CMS50 oximeter - the plus, E, F model or whatever. Anyone using one that works well with the S9?

I read that the CMS50[?] will allow for merging its oxi data with the standard S9 data for an integrated SleepyHead display. Any ideas which CMS50 model is best for this kind of use? ie, I'd like to keep the oximeter running all night and see the total results of both the S9 and CMS50.

Tom
Post Reply Post Reply
Any of them that record data will do. The trick is to turn on the recording at the same time you start the CPAP. Then, when you import the data into sleepyhead, the times will line up.

Check out the Reviews section of the forum for the different ones. Many of us has the CMS 50D Plus.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-11-2012, 06:00 PM)Tommy C Wrote: I read that the CMS50[?] will allow for merging its oxi data with the standard S9 data for an integrated SleepyHead display.
To have oximetery data recorded on the S9 SD card , you,ll need ResMed oximeter-adapter kit (expensive setup) and ResScan
http://www.resmed.com/au/assets/document...lo_eng.pdf

S9 oximeter setup video (2nd video)
http://www.apneaboard.com/resmed-s9-cpap-setup

Post Reply Post Reply
Which is why the separate oximeters are so popular. Sleepyhead software can put it in for free.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
OK, looks like the separate oxi unit and SleepyHead it will be then.

Yes, the Resmed setup looks more integrated but too expensive. I will add on the outboard oxi unit once the S9 is working well.

I wonder, for those using one, how valuable is the oxi info? Is the standard S9 info itself plenty good to fine tune with or does the % ox data really help the issue - is it worth the effort?

I mean, can the S9 show good apnea event readings, but there are still some remaining issues with low oxygen levels that could be hidden without using an oximeter?

Tom
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-11-2012, 07:48 PM)Tommy C Wrote: I mean, can the S9 show good apnea event readings, but there are still some remaining issues with low oxygen levels that could be hidden without using an oximeter?

The S9, like any good CPAP machine, can generate data that tells you how long your apneas and hypopneas last. Mine are rather short and infrequent, so I'm not concerned about my oxygen levels dropping. If they were longer and I had more of them I might be more concerned. Something only an oximeter can tell you.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
And my machine collects no data at all so an oximeter is my only way to figuring it how the treatment is working. I'm saving my pennies for another machine.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hooking up O2 to Dreamstation with Heated MusicmanCPAP 4 1,122 01-11-2022, 10:58 AM
Last Post: Ratchick
  CMS50 SpO2 bwexler 22 6,413 09-06-2018, 10:39 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
Question Hooking up the battery; a question. JVinNE 2 2,067 06-27-2015, 11:53 PM
Last Post: JVinNE

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.