Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help hooking up SleepyHead to S9 and CMS50
RE: Help hooking up SleepyHead to S9 and CMS50
(08-11-2012, 08:51 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: And my machine collects no data at all so an oximeter is my only way to figuring it how the treatment is working. I'm saving my pennies for another machine.

Interesting.

Paula, do you take periodic measurements throughout the night or do you record the whole night and view the data on the computer?

My Oxi level dipped to as low as 83% during the sleep study. I wonder what your study showed and what ranges have you been able to pull it up to with the CPAP therapy?

Sleepster- Glad your events are short duration. Yes, my apneas are rather long, as much as 45-60 seconds, so that's why I'm considering the oximeter. However, I imagine if the AHI gets down below 5, the oxi levels will average much better. But what if those 5 events spike the oxi down low - maybe we will not know about it without the oximeter. Five events may sound good, but what happens during those events is what matters, no?

I guess since they use oxi for the sleep studies, it's just more valuable data that can add clues to what is going on in more detail.

Tom
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-11-2012, 09:04 PM)Tommy C Wrote: Zonk - Glad your events are short duration. Yes, my apneas are rather long, as much as 45-60 seconds
Sleepster is the lucky guy you,re referring. Me too at times get 40 sec apnea and when talked to my doctor about it, he said he,s not concerned bc we cannot tell if I was awake or asleep

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-11-2012, 09:56 PM)zonk Wrote:
(08-11-2012, 09:04 PM)Tommy C Wrote: Zonk - Glad your events are short duration. Yes, my apneas are rather long, as much as 45-60 seconds
Sleepster is the lucky guy you,re referring. Me too at times get 40 sec apnea and when talked to my doctor about it, he said he,s not concerned bc we cannot tell if I was awake or asleep

Whoops, yes, I meant Sleepster, sorry.

Zonk - I also get some CA when half awake, so maybe this is the same thing.

It will be fun fine tuning everything as the data comes out. I really get into this kind of tweaking thing, being an electronic/radio builder over the years.

If someone really wanted to push it further, a camera that responded to motion could show the awakenings and leg thrashing, etc., with clock times to match to the S9 events. A voice recorder with VOX could also show the TYPE of snoring, gagging, snorting or buzz saw. The S9 wud not show this snore discrimination. I'm dedicated to licking this thing and good. :-)

First the S9 data - and we'll see what needs to be done next, if any.

T
Post Reply Post Reply
I use it all night. Else I have to wake up enough to turn it off. I only use it when I feel as if I am not getting enough sleep or when starting/stopping a medication.

One night's worth of data is not enough. You need about two weeks worth. Then you look for trends. Since I have no data to compare it to, I only look at about when the drops happen. If I wake up for some reason, I look at the clock and hope I remember it when I wake up.

But, really, with your data capable machine, an oximeter will add to the general picture but not much. If you find you have long events (according to the data) you could use the oximeter for a while and see how low the O2 saturation goes. If you are concerned that even with the CPAP you are not getting enough oxygen, then the oximeter will help with that. One forum member discovered his wife, while getting decent sleep according to the machine, was not getting enough oxygen. Armed with the data, he convinced the doc to prescribe O2 for her to use at night.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-11-2012, 10:11 PM)Tommy C Wrote: First the S9 data - and we'll see what needs to be done next, if any.

T
Don,t worry and get some sleep Too-funny

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-11-2012, 10:16 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: If you are concerned that even with the CPAP you are not getting enough oxygen, then the oximeter will help with that. One forum member discovered his wife, while getting decent sleep according to the machine, was not getting enough oxygen. Armed with the data, he convinced the doc to prescribe O2 for her to use at night.

So the solution was external O2 fed into the mask.... interesting.

Yes, that's something that does concern me - the machine shows no events, while the Ox sat is low. There may be many ways that we don't get enuff OX, like the lungs not expanding and contracting fully. (Flow) How about LOW blood pressure? Mine has always been rather low and I understand this can be a cause of low Ox. Just imagine how much Ox wud circulate if the BP was 50 over 10... :-)

And how about smoker's lungs? They may be very inefficient even though there is lots of air flowing with zero apnea events.

So, I'm convincing myself that the oximeter is worthwhile, I guess.

T
Post Reply Post Reply
They're cheap enough. If I had a data capable machine, I'd not use the oximeter every night. I'd use it if I started seeing an increase in events or, like I said, there's a medication or whatever change.

Currently, I cannot seem to get my mask to stay on right. I am waking up multiple times a night to adjust it. I will start wearing the oximeter for a few nights and compare it to previous data. If I see the O2 is dropping, then I'll know it is off for longer than I think and will get serious about figuring out what is wrong.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
First day with S9 autoset - 20 minutes of use so far.

I'm having trouble getting this short sample of data to import from the SD card.

After trying a data import, SleepyHead says : "There is no data to import"

I ran the S9 for a real mask breathing test of about 20 minutes. I see the AHI at 4.0 and the mask says "good"

Do I need more time on the S9 for SleepyHead to import data? Or do I need to manually download the S9 into the card before pulling it out and putting it into the SD reader?

I'd rather know it is working before sleeping a whole night and finding the data was not recorded.

BTW, maybe this is the problem - I am using only E:/ as the file in SleepHead. (SD card reader) It does ask for the file extension. How do I find this?

I see STR.edf and STR.crc on the SD Reader file, but when I type this into the file request, SleepyHead grays out the file and I cannot load it...

SleepyHead shows the S9's serial number and the model, so it IS reading the ID file. But I still see the "No data" box floating around.

What does an S9 sleep data study file extention look like?

Tom
Post Reply Post Reply
Found the problem...

In SleepHead, under preferences, there is an adjustment that will allow you to ignore short sessions. This can be set in minutes. I set it to zero time and the data came in fine.

So evidently, if I did a whole night's session, the data would have read OK. The short day session test was not long enough with the previous setting.

T
Post Reply Post Reply
Just remember that one night of data is not enough. You need about two weeks to start seeing trends. No two nights are alike. You will start seeing trends in pressure, etc.

When I used the oximeter, if I went by that first night, I would say I was getting adequate treatment. But looking at the ten days, I was not. It varied depending on when I took my nightly meds, what I had to eat, how late I stayed up, etc.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hooking up O2 to Dreamstation with Heated MusicmanCPAP 4 1,121 01-11-2022, 10:58 AM
Last Post: Ratchick
  CMS50 SpO2 bwexler 22 6,412 09-06-2018, 10:39 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
Question Hooking up the battery; a question. JVinNE 2 2,066 06-27-2015, 11:53 PM
Last Post: JVinNE

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.