Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help in understanding AHI & Leak Rates.
Help in understanding AHI & Leak Rates.
Still fairly new to the Forum & the software.

I am attaching the sleepyheads report from last night

I see the total Leaks going as high as 62(In fact I have noticed them to be pretty consistent from day one). Is it too high. Can anyone help me in understanding how the leaks work.

Thanks.

[SleepyHead report removed per poster request]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help in understanding AHI & Leak Rates.
Yes, that is way high. From the length of them, I'd say you were opening your mouth while sleeping. Or the mask is coming off.

Each mask has a different intentional leak rate. You can usually find that on the manufacturer's web site. An intentional leak is what normally happens through the venting.

Unintentional leak rate is what is above that number. So if a mask's intentional leak rate is 27, anything over that is not good.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-15-2013, 01:45 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Yes, that is way high. From the length of them, I'd say you were opening your mouth while sleeping. Or the mask is coming off.

Each mask has a different intentional leak rate. You can usually find that on the manufacturer's web site. An intentional leak is what normally happens through the venting.

Unintentional leak rate is what is above that number. So if a mask's intentional leak rate is 27, anything over that is not good.
Thanks. I do wake up many times during the night with extreme dry mouth & choking feeling. I believe that it is because of my mouth opening.

I should be trying the Chin Strap as I do not like the full face masks.
Post Reply Post Reply
You might want to edit your PDF file to remove your personal information.

Or maybe not. It's up to you.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-15-2013, 01:33 PM)Realtor 1 Wrote: Still fairly new to the Forum & the software.

I am attaching the sleepyheads report from last night

I see the total Leaks going as high as 62(In fact I have noticed them to be pretty consistent from day one). Is it too high. Can anyone help me in understanding how the leaks work.

Thanks.

I was told today by the DME that with a ffm opening my mouth wouldn't affect leaks. How true that is, I have no clue. will research when I get the chance. With your attachment, I can't tell the median, maximum, 95% but I just glanced at it. Will look at it more later.
Post Reply Post Reply
There's a lot of different chin straps out there. You can try to make your own to see if one would work. Take an ace bandage and wrap it from your chin to the top of your head and back again. You want it tight enough that when you relax, your mouth does not fall open, but not so tight you cannot chew (with some effort). Putting it on top the mask will also help hold it on. Do this for a few nights to see if the leaks improve. If it does, then you can invest in a real chin strap that would be more comfortable and safer.

Quote:I was told today by the DME that with a ffm opening my mouth wouldn't affect leaks.
Yes, that is the job of a FFM. It is covering the mouth. If the mouth opens, there's no leak since it is still within the atmosphere of the mask.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Keeping your nasal mask and adding a chinstrap should be tried before switching to a full face mask or hybrid mask. If the chinstrap keeps your mouth from falling open, and that stops the mouth-leaking like it does for lots of us, then you'll have less chance for a leak than you would with a ffm or hybrid. And you're more comfortable especially if you are a side or stomach sleeper like me.

I would hate it if I had to give up my nasal pillows because of mouth-leaking.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Realtor 1
Unlike F&P ... ResMed tell us that unintentional leak above 24 L/m can affect the accuracy of data and sleep quality
your machine F&P Premo is fixed pressure machine, pressure set at 8, Escape CPAP air thru mask or/and mouth (instead of keeping airways open) would reduce the effectiveness of the treatment
Some like SensAwake but others find it annoying as pressure drop when machine sense you,re awake
Have you tried saline nasal/sinus rinse, I use Nelimed or Flo (Aussie brand). Do you have Thermosmart, provide better humidity and reduce rainout
Its essential to keep mouth closed using nasal/pillows masks, chinstrap can help keep mouth closed and minimize mouth leaks also full face mask is worth consider as allows you to breath thru nose or mouth

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-22-2013, 04:34 PM)zonk Wrote: Hi Realtor 1
Unlike F&P ... ResMed tell us that unintentional leak above 24 L/m can affect the accuracy of data and sleep quality
your machine F&P Premo is fixed pressure machine, pressure set at 8, Escape CPAP air thru mask or/and mouth (instead of keeping airways open) would reduce the effectiveness of the treatment
Some like SensAwake but others find it annoying as pressure drop when machine sense you,re awake
Have you tried saline nasal/sinus rinse, I use Nelimed or Flo (Aussie brand). Do you have Thermosmart, provide better humidity and reduce rainout
Its essential to keep mouth closed using nasal/pillows masks, chinstrap can help keep mouth closed and minimize mouth leaks also full face mask is worth consider as allows you to breath thru nose or mouth

how important is the maximum if your median and 95% is within normal range?
Post Reply Post Reply
I have found with some full face masks when I open my mouth ( yawn) I move the mask enough to cause leaks and may need to adjust the mask after I close my mouth. The bottom of one mask would wind up in my mouth, like a bit in a houses mouth.
I am also a side sleeper and do not like most FFMs I have tried.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 231 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,407 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  [Pressure] Understanding Pressure Settings on ASV Suzee 85 3,545 03-19-2024, 03:17 PM
Last Post: Suzee
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 139 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Large leak panic sleepingbetterinFl 3 147 03-19-2024, 07:48 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 4 132 03-18-2024, 08:05 AM
Last Post: chronic
  Poor Sleep Quality/ Respiratory Rates flyingg103 3 246 02-29-2024, 08:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.