Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help looking at my numbers?
Help looking at my numbers?
Hey there, I've been using various different APAP machines for about 12 years now.  I've recently switched from a Phillips Dreamstation to a Resmed Airsense (because of the recall).  I also switched to a P10 nasal pillow mask from the Swift FX.  I'm loving the fact that the P10 doesn't blow air everywhere and bother my wife.

However, I'm not feeling great after the switch.  I feel exhausted during the day.  I'm trying to hone into why.  Is it just a question of getting used to the new machine?  Is my leak rate bad?  Does anyone have any thoughts about my results?  I've never really been able to (ever) get my AHI below 2 in general, which is also mildly depressing especially since I have relatively mild sleep apnea.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help looking at my numbers?
Many times when I hear this I look at the flow limits. You did not include that chart. If it show many flow limits, that is helped by using EPR (exhale pressure relief). Yours is turned off - I would try EPR 3 and raise the min by 1. 

If the flow limits are ok then I don’t have a better suggestion.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
There ya go - are these high?  Will do some research myself also to understand more.

Post Reply Post Reply
Flow limits are apnea. Look at my signature it breaks down how apnea is categorized. They disrupt sleep not allowing deep sleep or even waking you up. 

Are your bad?  I have see. Much worse but I would give it a try for a couple days and see how you are feeling. 

EPR subtracts from the min for your exhale pressure. So it should make the therapy more comfortable also.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Here's it zoomed in.  When you say "this" in "many times when I hear this", what are you referring to?  Me not able to get an AHI under 3?  Or feeling crappy despite having a good AHI?  Or something else?

Thanks for your reply.  I replied before I saw your post.

Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds good.  Why not - I'll try it.  I had disabled EPR because I didn't like the feel of A-Flex when using the DreamStation.  I'll put my min pressure at 10 and turn on EPR to 3.  I'll try that for the next few nights and post how I feel.  Thanks for the help!
Post Reply Post Reply
Yesterday looked a lot better from a flow limit standpoint, but my AHI went up.  I felt really good yesterday, though.  I forgot to use my SD card today but my AHI today was 3.9.  Also, I feel more tired today than I did yesterday, but it feels less caused by apnea, if that makes any sense.  <shrug>

Should I bump the min pressure up a bit?  Or just stick with this for now?

Post Reply Post Reply
I felt EPR would help and it looks like it did.  The next thing I think I see (hope others will see if the agree) is a possibility of positional apnea. I’m not as sure of this one but I think you are sleeping in a position where you are cutting off your own airway. It LOOKS to me this is chin tucking where the chin drops to your Sternum cutting off your airway. 

There is no settings that can help this you need to stop getting into the position. If you sleep on your back or on high pillows try changing position or pillow height. 

Your charts are not conclusive you are having positional apnea but I would look into it. Many people have found that they will do much better using a collar. I have a link to that in my signature.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was thinking it looked like positional but wanted you to post first.  I agree try a thinner pillow or follow the Cervical collar link in SB's signature.
Thank you,
Brent aka Factor

Just a Regular guy.
My untreated AHI was 87.  You can do it hang in there.
"You can if you will"   Jerry Kramer

Got OSCAR?
Organize Charts
Optimizing Therapy

My Story
Post Reply Post Reply
Stacey has some pretty good advise here. The use of EPR to help with the flow limitations, will also reduce the amount that pressure varies through the night. In both charts you posted so far, we see apnea clustered into groups which suggests what we call positional apnea or chin-tucking. Here is your reading assignment:
Positional apnea http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...onal_Apnea
Soft Cervical Collar: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...cal_Collar
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Switching to automatic raised AHI numbers Leitrim 4 118 03-26-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Leitrim
  Can someone help me make sense of my Therapy Numbers? kc90 6 352 02-21-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: kc90
  Frustrating insomnia continues despite numbers alienfrontier 10 604 01-27-2024, 02:04 PM
Last Post: alienfrontier
  Central Sleep Apnea AHI numbers too high chathamite 12 1,017 11-19-2023, 07:47 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Numbers are better but I feel worse LikeaGlove90 2 509 09-24-2023, 12:10 AM
Last Post: LikeaGlove90
Sad Waking up around 4-5am every night. Occasional Aerophagia. Good numbers? jkang9080 3 537 08-22-2023, 11:58 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [CPAP] AM97 Therapy Thread: Help me interpret OSCAR and get my numbers right am97 6 778 07-14-2023, 12:30 PM
Last Post: Dormeo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.