Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help me interpret my second Sleep Study results
RE: Help me interpret my second Sleep Study results

Post Reply Post Reply
Tonight: Same same but different.

Questions I have:
1. No flow limitations: My flow limitation p99.5 was 0.01 today and 0.00 yesterday. Does that mean any remaining breathing issues are unlikely to be obstructive/restrictive? Does that mean they would be central?
2. Root cause: What other causes could be waking me up throughout the night if it is not obstructive/restrictive? 
3. Arousals: How many arousals per night are normal? Clearly I woke up/moved almost every 15 minutes last night judging by movement and heart rate. I count roughly ~30 distinct movement clusters and heart rate spikes above the p95 for each. These also come w/ segments of breathing junk on the flow rate (+ increased Minute Vent), so clearly I am waking up.

Post Reply Post Reply
YouTakeMyBreathAway,

My knowledge only goes as far as the first 6 graphs in the OSCAR standard view.

I couldn't see the sleep study page properly. What was the SpO2, baseline, during the night. Has your SPO2 been monitored while on a machine to see if your oxygen level stays up when there no events? Has your oximeter been calibrated or tested against another oximeter?

On post #31, SD at 06:42:45, if you expand that section you may see some flatish tops,

Nov 20, - look at scans, Flow Limit shows some flow limitations. Expand the flow rate are the peaks flatish?

in OSCAR there is an Events tab, if it shows SD or PC, expand each event and look at flow rate, were the tops flatish, what came first, movement, mask leak, flattish top, were you awake ect. This may help you understand your body.

There maybe more than one issue going on.

For me to get deeper sleep/less arousals:
Lately I have been battling a leaky mask. I found wetting the cushion, that goes around my mouth, with water just before putting it helps. Did you notice if you got deeper sleep with the full face mask vs the pillows?

Covering my eyes got me to a deeper sleep. I am about to try a weighted blanket.
Post Reply Post Reply
KeepSmiling; 
1. Yes the peaks are flat when the flow limitations are flagged
2. SpO2 was 96% (the same value each) for Awake, REM and NREM during the sleep study. They did not report a "baseline" specifically.

I feel more tired today and also struggling a bit to read (brain fog / forgetfulness). Here's my chart for the night:

[Image: hWZHV7w.png]
(https://i.imgur.com/hWZHV7w.png)
Post Reply Post Reply
Desaturations seem to track respiration rate rather than tidal volume. When resp rate drops so does minute vent. There isn't much we can do to regulate the respiration rate because the Vauto does not have a backup rate to trigger a breath, so we are reliant on spontaneous effort. My best guess is that with the high pressure support you are using, you become somewhat hypocapnic (lower CO2) and the respiration rate and even volume drops. The reduction of SpO2 inversely tracks your CO2. I'm seeing some variable breathing as this apneic threshold cycle occurs, but you seem to rapidly recover without any respiratory events. I think the root cause is PS a bit too high.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=45876]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Let me reduce PS by 1 and see how it goes.

It seems like whenever my respiration rate reduced, my tidal volume increases and minute vent stays more steady.

Here is my nights on SleepHQ, this should allow you to zoom in I believe, but unfortunately it seems like no way to share SpO2 there…

Nov 19: https://sleephq.com/public/ac3fbfbf-65e3...612444e74e

Nov 18: https://sleephq.com/public/81a0f060-2807...ba9ea9f46d

Nov 17: https://sleephq.com/public/93d06f95-78fa...5093dc64cc

Nov 16: https://sleephq.com/public/083b7ab7-8f57...e40b0cd8ae

Nov 15: https://sleephq.com/public/21b71afb-1927...31ec45c444 (best night!)
Post Reply Post Reply
It is normal for minute vent to remain the same, while respiration rate and tidal volume have an inverse relationship. Mv is the best metric of your respiratory needs and the average should not change a great deal from night to night.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Is there any way to increase my Minute Ventilation more consistently? The nights w/ my highest Minute Ventilation were the ones where I woke up the most refreshed (and also had the fewest oxygen drops).

--

Reduced PS by 1 this night, no obvious change in outcome (tidal volume reduced a bit, but made up by respiration rate increasing):

[Image: 59Kl6Oy.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
The body's respiratory regulator is a marvelous thing, and as long as we are relying on spontaneous respiration, it's tough to increase Mainlv due to the complex interaction of respiratory gasses and chemistry, your experience of decreasing respiration rate with increased tidal volume, and vice-versa is pretty common. In hospital respiration, a higher PEEP (positive end expiratory pressure) is used to recruit more lung volume and improve gas exchange to increase oxygenation.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Is it true, then, that we can achieve a higher PEEP by increasing our EPAP? Not beyond comfort, of course... Or am I missing something?
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Oscar CPAP Optimization Results-Awesome!? SeePak 18 341 2 hours ago
Last Post: SeePak
  My sleep study (starting out) sabletaurus 2 77 Yesterday, 08:12 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Treatment] Help with interpreting OSCAR results 6bez8dF5lf 7 182 Yesterday, 10:13 AM
Last Post: 6bez8dF5lf
Question Please help interpret data to improve treatment length during the night GalaxyPast 3 122 04-14-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: GalaxyPast
  First night with new Bipap after sleep study and 37 AHI mostly CA PandaZA 87 1,336 04-13-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: PandaZA
  Test results Kmzizzle 18 1,521 04-12-2024, 10:36 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  can someone help me interpret these? Mshull 4 199 04-11-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Jay51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.