Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help me interpret my second Sleep Study results
RE: Help me interpret my second Sleep Study results
More oxygen drops today (same settings) - feeling similarly tired to always.

One thing I noticed is that the BiPap has completely removed all variance to my Inspiration Time:

CPAP: 

BiPAP:

Going with the advice by Gideon before re: keeping a low amount of CAs for the body to adjust to, which made a ton of sense for me. I think the way to go is to just keep at it with this setting?

That being said, my sleep doctor seemed to think keeping cranking the EPAP would help w/ the hypopneas the machine isn't flagging that he manually scored in the lab stufy, should I try that?
Post Reply Post Reply
If you're feeling rushed on inspiration, there is no problem in adding to Ti Max. None of your graphs show the Ti graph, and statistics do not show a problem, but if you want to move to 2.4-2.6 seconds, that will not be a problem. If you want to investigate SoO2 drops, you have to zoom in on them to see if there is a respiratory issue where they occur. There is not much to see from a mile-high point of view. While you're at it, get rid of the monthly calendar.

I've said before that higher EPAP (PEEP) generally improves oxygen perfusion. Higher PS results in higher ventilation and reduced CO2.  Your doctor's advise of increasing EPAP for hypopnea and oxygenation is not consistent with bilevel titration guidelines.  In the chart below, in increase in IPAP is equivalent to increasing PS on the Vauto, and increasing EPAP means EPAP min.  Keep in mind that for fine-tuning, you can increase or decrease pressures and support in increments of 0.2 cm.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=4203]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I changed "Trigger" to "Very High" last night and it eliminated all my CAs. There is one flagged (12 seconds), but there's some breathing junk right before it, so I assume it is not an actual CA.

Still getting 16.05 SpO2 Drops/h.

There are no hypopnes flagged, but I'll have to assume the SpO2 drops are caused by hypopneas, so I assume next step is to increase IPAP/PS by 1.0 until SpO2 drops diminish, is that right?

Could also play w/ inspiration time by increasing Ti Min and reducing Cycle sensitivity to Low.

Post Reply Post Reply
I don't recommend changes to Ti Min unless there is evidence of problems in triggering and sustaining inspiration. It's pretty unusual, and the signature is a marked start to inspiration with a brief drop to zero flow before inspiration resumes.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Bumped PS by 1.0 --> 8.0/14.0. 

Result:
- Lowest AHI (0.25) + ODI (3.31) I ever had
- Highest Minute Ventilation (6.88)

There are a few remaining SpO2 desats (hypopneas?), so I assume best next step is to raise PS by another 1.0.

That being said, two things I am struggling with:
1. Mouth Leaks: Starting to get some mouth leaks at the higher pressure. I have the F20 but I never got it to not leak at its edge. Thinking of trying the F30i.
2. Tickly Nose: I'm usually fine when I fall asleep, but then during the night there are clusters of my nose just continuously starting to tickle, me having to stop the machine, take it off, scratch my nose and put it back on, which keeps waking me up. I tried leaving my nose hair long, trimming it super short and also putting Lanolin in my nose, to no avail.

And here is a screenshot of all my SpO2 drops w/ flow rate throughout the night: https://imgur.com/a/2mteify

Does anything stand out from seeing these?
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm very sad - I went straight back to a terrible night today. 

Change: Increased IPAP/PS by 1 from yesterday.
Result: Increased ODI (12.3) and AHI (2.1)
Context: My wife woke me up several times complaining about mouth leaks. Since I also felt a bit stuffy, in an effort to fix this, at 2:20 I did a nasal rinse plus 1 spray of Afrin. She continued to report leaks and my mouth continued to feel dry.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, YouTakeMyBreathAway  Re tickly nose and discomfort, have you tried using the humidifier?  (I use both humidity and tube heat set to Auto.)

You're probably aware, but be careful with Afrin.  If you use it more than three days in a row it will cause a rebound effect that can take several days to go away.

My ENT recommended Flonase and Ayr Saline Nasal Gel.  Flonase doesn't take effect immediately like Afrin but rather after a week or two of use.  The Ayr Saline Nasal Gel helps moisturize the nose.

Neutrogena Hydro Boost is fantastic for dry skin.  I use the fragrance free version for sensitive and dry skin.  (More expensive than some other brands, but you need a lot less so a bottle lasts longer.)
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey Lucid!

Humidifier - Yep, tried humidifer, didn't notice a meaningful difference.
Afrin - Yes, not using Afrin frequently, I'd say maybe once a month when I'm super stuffy from being sick/having a cold and usually just that single day, not multiple days in a row. 
Flonase - I did do Flonase and Azelastine nasal sprays in the past, but got the sense that these make me overall more tired (separate from sleep apnea) and didn't help significantly w/ night time breathing.

Will give humidifying nasal sprays and that neutrogena cream a shot, thank you!

---

After the bad night yesterday I reverted to the previous settings (8-14, PS 6).

Appreciate any and all recommendations on how I can optimize my treatment!

One thing I noticed: My leaks consistently are worse during the second half of the night (at same pressure).
Post Reply Post Reply
My Minute Ventilation yesterday dropped to 6.00 and I'm back to the same pattern of good AHI (0.24), terrible ODI (20.96).

Please let me know what information would be useful to dig deeper.

Comparing a segment w/ many drops to one w/ few, I must say they look very similar: https://imgur.com/a/WXAyIXj
Post Reply Post Reply
Somehow Tidal Volume + Minute Ventilation are trending back to the level they were at when I used my CPAP w/ 3.0 EPR, maybe my body is adjusting?

Here's some of the drops:

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 247 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 78 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 535 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Can someone take a look at my OSCAR results? 3-4 weeks of CPAP & still improvements senseisaitama 5 133 03-24-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 193 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 120 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 149 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.