Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help me lower my AHI
Ohmy 
Help me lower my AHI
Need some advice to help lower my AHI. Original sleep study my AHI was 4.3. I feel better when it is around 2 or under, but the 3-4+ leaves me feeling tired, and foggy all day. I use a headstrap to control mouth breathing, sleep on my back,and side, treat sinus problems with prescription steroid spray. Tried tweeking my pressure up with no effect. Tried a full face mask, and that helped nothing. Hopefully the 3 screenshots I attached appear.I need advice. Thank you[attachment=6322][attachment=6322]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help me lower my AHI
You have quite a few things going on and none of it is terrible but if it is the AHI you want down I would allow the machine more pressure, a max of 16 and turn on your EPR, then raise the lower pressure a little to 8.  See how that works out, but it might cause some others to rise, so keep an eye on that and post another chart in a couple of days to see what happens.
On the whole you are not that bad, do you feel fatigued at all?
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Your median, 95% and maximum pressure is all the same at 9.4 cm. Your range of 8.0 to 9.4 is simply ineffective in stopping the obstructive apnea and hypopnea you are experiencing. A more effective range would be 9.0 to 12.0 and I would strongly suggest adding some EPR for better comfort and to help reduce hypopnea. You may end up needing a higher maximum pressure than 12.0, but we know your current maximum pressure is insufficient. If you can tolerate no ramp, or ramp that starts at a higher pressure, that would be a good adjustment to make. I would suggest starting ramp at 7.0.

Consider turning off the pie chart in the menu at File/Preferences/Appearance. The use of the pie chart is hiding a lot of the therapy statistics.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi NanaPainter,
Currently your max pressure is 9.4. If you look at your Pressure Graph you'll notice that the machine is keeping you at or near the max pressure for the whole night. It needs a larger pressure range to be able to lower the AHI.
I recommend increasing the max pressure to 10 and see if you get better results.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes I feel fatigued.
Post Reply Post Reply
It would help us if you arranged the charts the way it suggests in my signature. This gives us a liitle more info to help you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes I feel fatigued.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-03-2018, 09:24 AM)NanaPainter Wrote: Yes I feel fatigued.

Then change the settings as suggested in post #3.

Good luck!
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
[attachment=6411][attachment=6410]Increased max pressure to 10 ( going up slowly as needed). Not sure if I've set ramp, or EPR correctly. Using a neck pillow to help my leak problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
EPR is in the clinical settings of your machine (control knob + Home) in the Comfort settings. You will need to set EPR to ON, Full Time, at a setting of 2. Right EPR is set to Ramp Only at a setting of 1. The EPR should help with the flow limitations and hypopnea. I think you're taking the right approach but your pressure is at the maximum setting of 10 most of the time. EPR is going to make that more comfortable, but I think you will need to continue to increase the maximum pressure.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feel worse on lower EPR even though AHI seems the same? LarkinM 10 324 03-14-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  How can I lower my AHI? jstro84 26 2,476 01-13-2024, 12:13 PM
Last Post: jstro84
  Advise requested: Should I LOWER my pressure? Aknakon 21 1,134 12-22-2023, 08:25 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Can I lower the pressure? GaspForAir 11 917 12-11-2023, 08:31 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Idea [CPAP] Lower AHI on firmer mattresses? Jeads95 9 629 10-26-2023, 01:58 AM
Last Post: ivorpetkov
  [Treatment] AHI lower than ever, still struggling in my late 20s davigalindo 31 2,412 10-18-2023, 10:25 AM
Last Post: davigalindo
  Raise Lower pressure setting crmarks4 10 933 10-09-2023, 09:45 PM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.