Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help me understand CA
Help me understand CA
So I have been noticing some CAs (0.08 central AHI over the last 10 days since i started therapy) and I have some questions. Latest SH data posted below.

1. Considering the higher pressure and leak rate at around 9.30 AM, would you say that this was a central or a case of mistaken identity.
2. Is it normal for most people to get some centrals or is this something I should be concerned with.

I can deal with OSA, but centrals worry me a little as I keep thinking maybe somethings wrong with my heart or brain. I know the rates are extremely low but a second opinion.

[Image: fFBQ71j.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help me understand CA
You only have one. It's not something to worry about. Everyone has one or two from time to time. I'll let someone smarter than me explain in more detail.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm only here because I'm smarter than Walla Walla, but I have the same observation. If you roll over in bed, it can cause you to hold your breath long enough to score a CA. Your treatment effectiveness is better than 99% of the people here, including myself. About the only thing left is not having therapy breaks.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you both. I know I can get a bit obsessed about small things. I will try relax and keep my mouth shut (pun intended).
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm too much of a newbie but I agree, and if you zoom in to the actual event, it could show us (and you), what may have transpired that caused the CA; moving or rolling over in bed.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm glad you posted this question, taha. I was wondering about the very same thing.
Especially since I have COPD, the Centrals are of most concern to me. It's good to know that the few of them I have nightly could be attributed to change of sleep position. Assuming they are unrelated to any other event.

I can rest a little easier now.
My get-up-and-go musta got up and went.  Cool

Download OSCAR for your sleep data.  
https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR

Post Reply Post Reply
If you'd like a look "up close and personal" at what central events look like on a sleep study, look at Sleep Rider's analysis in the thread, "What's with this newbie data?" Then look at your own and see how it applies to you.
Post Reply Post Reply
More centrals than Obstructive. Please help me understand whats going on?

[Image: wUjquYu.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
Taha -

1 or 2 events is nothing to be concerned or alarmed about.  It could easily be positional.    Also remember that your CPAP therapy is not a sleep lab so there is always the possibility that the machine did not score the event correctly even though research has shown that the most popular current CPAP machines score events fairly well.  For a good explanation of the difference between the apnea events see this article:

http://www.alaskasleep.com/blog/types-of...tral-mixed
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
taha,
I see nothing unusual with your data.  In fact, it looks very good.  The few Clear Airways you see are nothing to worry about.  We all get a few now and then.  Unless you see the CA count rise above 5 and they are a significant portion of your AHI, they are not anything to worry about.  

The few graphs you’ve posted all show low AHI numbers, but doesn’t look like you are getting enough sleep.  This is what you should be working on.  

I know easier said than done.  Rolleyes  I’ve been there!  When I first started therapy, I had high anxiety and didn’t sleep well with the machine.  I had to “talk” myself into “trusting” the machine and that it would do the job.  You can do this!  Don’t fret over a couple CA events.  

Ok, if you don’t trust the machine, listen to the good folk here.  Most of us have suffered through adapting to the machine, finding the right mask and just simply getting used to a forgein object attached to your face.   Dreaming
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to OSCAR..Please Help me understand the data. *screenshots attached* Cowboys77 0 125 03-19-2024, 05:52 AM
Last Post: Cowboys77
  Help needed to understand chart SteveC 0 125 03-11-2024, 11:54 PM
Last Post: SteveC
  Just trying to understand this stuff Domino96 5 339 03-05-2024, 11:31 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Newby trying to understand what i am seeing WoodyV12 18 1,093 02-24-2024, 08:17 PM
Last Post: Macka
Question [CPAP] Help to understand current situation and OSCAR data 3dkid14 0 280 01-18-2024, 04:21 AM
Last Post: 3dkid14
  Help to understand results, please Olis001 5 457 11-30-2023, 12:04 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  [CPAP] Please help me understand why therapy is not showing results Paradox97 22 1,655 10-04-2023, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Paradox97

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.