Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help me understand how humidifier levels are managed by the xPAP
Help me understand how humidifier levels are managed by the xPAP
For the last 10 days or so I've been plagued with rainout, at different levels.  Happened mildly once or twice over a year ago for a day or so but now I wake up with a water blocking sound, heavy!

Same machine, mask, environment, machine position vs. tube.  Set my dreamstation down to "1" on the humidifier level, kept minimal water level, still happening, can't figure it out.

My one good night in the last few days was when I left the reservoir empty.  But that is not ideal in terms of a rough throat.

So question:  if I set the humidifier level to 0 or 5 (relative to a Dreamstation), but keep some water in the reservoir, what exactly does the DS change?  There are no flaps past the pre-humidifier out that could control, so does the base unit sense humidity or vary the airflow towards the water if on?

At this point curious to understand:  on a Dreamstation with a humidifier attached, what mechanically happens when selecting 0 through 5 on the humidifier?

Maybe 0 and water can still take the edge off?

Thanks in afvance.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help me understand how humidifier levels are managed by the xPAP
Try hanging up hose in a nshape while you are sleeping.
Post Reply Post Reply
Are you using a heated hose? Also try a fleece cover on your hose? This really does help with rainout.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Resmed uses heat to control the amount of humidity, going up in settings raises the level of heat and thus the humidity. Not sure about PR machines but I suppose similar. If the rainout happened about the same time you turned on your air conditioning you may be getting condensation due to temp. differences. Do you have a heated hose or hose cover, if it is condensation, insulating the hose will help. It also helps to have the machine lower than your head; any droop in the hose will allow water to accumulate.
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you tried turning on the adaptive setting on the humidifier? It may help. You would still be able to set the humity level in the same manner as before.

If that doesn't work I would also suggest a heated hose. I bought one when I first started cpap, due to rainout. After the first few nights I found I didn't have to run the heat on the hose. I have been running my DreamStation with the heated hose and using the adaptive setting. Haven't had rainout since. I think the humidity sensor in the mask end of the hose detects the moisture in the hose and adjusts the humidity level accordingly as long as the humidifier is running on the adaptive setting.

Some people are able to turn the heat off on the humidifier and use passive humidity. Passive humidity isn't enough for me.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you are using a heated hose, and after two years it is starting to fail, that could explain the symptoms you describe. The only other thing I can think of is a change in in environment such as a new air conditioner, but you say there are no environmental changes. So the failure of the heating element in the heated hose, if you have one, is all I can think of.

By the way, fill the tub all the way to the maximum level. If you have less water in there it will heat up faster and cause more rain out.

Oh, I just thought of another possible cause. The control circuit for the heated humidifier may have failed and the heater for the reservoir (not the heater in the hose) is now on full blast. Some detective work with a temperature sensor may be needed.

The heater in a heated hose prevents rain out, the heater for the reservoir causes rain out (when set too high).
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
At least for now, until you can implement some of the other suggestions, place your xPAP on the floor, at least lower than your mattress, that way condensation will drain back to your humidifier.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the info.

Should have mentioned that I do not have a heated hose.

Also, had been using the "adaptive" option since the start, changed it now to see if it would make a difference - it did not.

For the short term will take the advice of lowering the machine (placing it on the floor) / reshaping the hose. Will still try to figure out what changed all of a sudden.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-21-2017, 08:20 AM)DanPrado Wrote: For the short term will take the advice of lowering the machine (placing it on the floor) / reshaping the hose.  Will still try to figure out what changed all of a sudden.

If you have the patience, measure the temperature of the water when the humidifier is set on its lowest setting and again when its on its highest setting. If you don't get a significant temperature difference that could indicate that the heater control circuit has failed and the heater is on full blast all the time.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-21-2017, 10:44 AM)Sleepster Wrote:
(05-21-2017, 08:20 AM)DanPrado Wrote: For the short term will take the advice of lowering the machine (placing it on the floor) / reshaping the hose.  Will still try to figure out what changed all of a sudden.

If you have the patience, measure the temperature of the water when the humidifier is set on its lowest setting and again when its on its highest setting. If you don't get a significant temperature difference that could indicate that the heater control circuit has failed and the heater is on full blast all the time.

Ah, maybe this is a piece of the puzzle that I am missing:  I bought a plain Dreamstation without a heated hose (and forget if there was a heat option that modified the AC adaptor, if there was I skipped it as well).

Does even a plain DS still use heat to manage the humidifier level?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  flow limitations acceptable levels yankees123 27 1,608 03-23-2024, 02:41 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  New to OSCAR..Please Help me understand the data. *screenshots attached* Cowboys77 0 90 03-19-2024, 05:52 AM
Last Post: Cowboys77
  Help needed to understand chart SteveC 0 97 03-11-2024, 11:54 PM
Last Post: SteveC
  Oxygen levels below 90% for 7% of night and below 94% for 34% inspite of Bipap bhavintu79 14 678 03-08-2024, 05:06 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Just trying to understand this stuff Domino96 5 272 03-05-2024, 11:31 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Newby trying to understand what i am seeing WoodyV12 18 990 02-24-2024, 08:17 PM
Last Post: Macka
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 768 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.