Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help - my hose is kinky
Question 
Help - my hose is kinky
I switched hoses a few weeks ago. The newer one is thicker than the older one and still has the kinks from where it was folded. I thought these would fall out with use and cleanings, but they are still there, although not as tightly kinked as before. I have my hose suspended from my headboard but there is a part that lays on the bed. This wasn't a problem with the old hose, but with the new one whenever I turn over, the new hose will twist and kink, sometimes slapping me in the face. It's definitely not a pleasant sleeping experience.

Is there something I can do to get the hose to lose that kink from where it was folded quicker than waiting for Father Time to do it?
RE: Help - my hose is kinky
(02-02-2013, 09:35 PM)iSnooze Wrote: Is there something I can do to get the hose to lose that kink from where it was folded quicker than waiting for Father Time to do it?

I had the same problem with a cheap aftermarket hose a few years ago, I found the genuine ResMed hose to be the most pliable, your original Respironics hose was probably the same way.

You can either soak the hose in hot (mine is 135 F) water for 15 minutes, you'll be able to tell when the kink is gone, then hang it to dry.

Or, you could put several clean towels into the dryer along with the hose for around 5 minutes on medium heat, check on it after a couple of minutes. The plastic melting-point should be around 430 degrees F, the dryer doesn't get that hot - especially on medium heat.

Either method will remove the kinks, it won't make it any more flexible though.

Ren
I have had that issue, too. The hot water soak worked.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Thanks, Paula and Ren.

I'll give the hot water soak a try.
My kitchen faucet will fit the end of my hoses. I just slip the end of the hose over the faucet and run hot water through it to clean the hose. You might find that will soften your hose enough to straighten out.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
(02-02-2013, 09:35 PM)iSnooze Wrote: Is there something I can do to get the hose to lose that kink from where it was folded quicker than waiting for Father Time to do it?

Don't worry about it. Hoses are no more kinky than the person using them. Big Grin
(02-03-2013, 04:59 PM)Ugly Wrote: Don't worry about it. Hoses are no more kinky than the person using them. Big Grin

Dielaughing
I'm not going there....

Laugh-a-lot
(02-04-2013, 09:33 AM)Shastzi Wrote: I'm not going there....

Laugh-a-lot

Ah but when I saw the subject line I couldn't resist. Licklips
I-love-CPAP Hate-cpap
Well, I suppose it's a personal thing. If your hose is kinky *and* it's a problem, then you should discuss it with your therapist on the next visit.

Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Hose volume Willw 4 235 02-26-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Willw
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 228 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111
  How often to replace mask, hose, etc. bigla6940 6 577 12-30-2023, 07:00 AM
Last Post: bigla6940
  Do I have to "clean" my heated CPAP hose? Labromaniac 13 1,287 12-28-2023, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Palmtrees
  Oxygen into CPAP hose when at high altitude Lfmichel 4 543 12-20-2023, 09:39 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Equipment] Airsense 11 Heated Hose MJLeveille 3 638 12-12-2023, 05:18 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Top Hose vs. Bottom Hose Jose Castro 19 1,553 11-03-2023, 10:33 AM
Last Post: Jose Castro

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.