Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help needed with VPAP III ST-A treating Central Sleep Apnea
Help needed with VPAP III ST-A treating Central Sleep Apnea
After 2 years of a referral <waiting> sleep study <waiting> doctor visit <waiting> titration, disastrous CPAP trial <waiting> doctor discovers sleep lab didn't send all the data and diagnoses CSA <waiting> 2nd sleep study <waiting> doctor visit...

I received a ResMed VPAP III ST-A to treat Idiopathic Central Sleep Apnea (free through a special program in Ontario). It's almost completely CSA and I had 86 events per hour in my sleep study.

However after 7 months I am still having problems
- I can rarely fall asleep with a mask on.
- The machine is almost too loud to have in the room
- The only mask I can tolerate is the Airfit P10 but I am still not used to it
- I am trying out a Wisp, even though it is the best of all the nasal masks i have tried, after 3 weeks I have not been able to sleep with it
- I am always tired
- My blood pressure and blood sugar has not improved

Furthermore, when I was diagnosed and treated, I was working in another city 3 hours away. Now I am working close to home again and my doctor is far away.

I am not sure what the problem is but I am wondering if it is the machine. Local CPAP stores I visited here have not heard of it, and don't know how to get the data off of it.

If I can't get data off of it, how can anyone know if it is working or not?

I also want to know if the VPAP III ST-A is actually suitable for treating CSA. I am not sure they have any other machines available.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help needed with VPAP III ST-A treating Central Sleep Apnea
A quick Google search comes up with it. It's "not sold in all counties."
I believe this is a bilevel machine with a timed backup rate; and capable of pressures as high as 30 cm-H2O. It would seem a cable is required to get data off of it.

Bilevel machines with timed backup are a step below the best machine for treating CSA.
The ASV is considered best. The ASV operates as a bilevel machine; but has the ability to deliver a pressure pulse on a breath by breath basis to inflate the lungs.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I am not up to speed on ASV model numbers, but the model you posted is discontinued, and by appearance, long discontinued. Still you should be able to get the clinicians manual for it using the links at the top of the page. You should download sleepyhead software or rescan software and use it to import the data off of the sd card that is located on the back of the unit. You will need a card reader; not sure if this model uses a proprietary format or not.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-08-2016, 07:08 PM)Mike.Somerville Wrote: After 2 years of a referral <waiting> sleep study <waiting> doctor visit <waiting> titration, disastrous CPAP trial <waiting> doctor discovers sleep lab didn't send all the data and diagnoses CSA <waiting> 2nd sleep study <waiting> doctor visit...

I received a ResMed VPAP III ST-A to treat Idiopathic Central Sleep Apnea (free through a special program in Ontario). It's almost completely CSA and I had 86 events per hour in my sleep study.

However after 7 months I am still having problems
- I can rarely fall asleep with a mask on.
- The machine is almost too loud to have in the room
- The only mask I can tolerate is the Airfit P10 but I am still not used to it
- I am trying out a Wisp, even though it is the best of all the nasal masks i have tried, after 3 weeks I have not been able to sleep with it
- I am always tired
- My blood pressure and blood sugar has not improved

Furthermore, when I was diagnosed and treated, I was working in another city 3 hours away. Now I am working close to home again and my doctor is far away.

I am not sure what the problem is but I am wondering if it is the machine. Local CPAP stores I visited here have not heard of it, and don't know how to get the data off of it.

If I can't get data off of it, how can anyone know if it is working or not?

I also want to know if the VPAP III ST-A is actually suitable for treating CSA. I am not sure they have any other machines available.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Hi Mike,
Reading through the description of the VPAP-III ST-A, I cannot find any reference to the type of therapy appropriate for CSA. This machine appears to be a lower end machine appropriate for bi-level treatment of Obstructive Sleep Apnea. OSA is what most patients have and what most Sleep Docs treat. Idiopathic CSA is different from OSA especially when not accompanied by OSA. Treatment with an OSA specific machine can make things worse because periodic breathing Hypopneas can be converted to CA events. Most of the people on this Board with Idiopathic Central Apnea are being treated with ASV (auto servo ventilator) machines. An example would be the ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV machine. You need to check your prescription and talk to your provider and Doc about this. The Apnea Board has many members with considerable experience using ASV machines. You will certainly hear form more of us regarding your situation. Stay in touch. You have found the source for help and encouragement.

RichB
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the replies.

I got my hands on a USB Null Modem Cable to attach to the old 9 pin serial port on the VPAP Machine. But the ResScan software doesn't seem to have an option to access the data from a serial connection.

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-08-2016, 07:59 PM)Mike.Somerville Wrote: Thanks for the replies.

I got my hands on a USB Null Modem Cable to attach to the old 9 pin serial port on the VPAP Machine. But the ResScan software doesn't seem to have an option to access the data from a serial connection.

All that you are going to find out is that your machine does not treat CSA. If you can't access data you can't even use that machine for comments on the data. How is your Doc supposed to know if that machine is doing you any good?

Rich B
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
Mike, you got an ancient machine. The current version is the Resmed Aircurve 10 ST, and the previous generation was the S9 VPAP ST. So seriously, the state of the art has changed. What in the world is Ontario doing distributing a 10 year old machine?

What you want is the Aircurve 10 ASV or S9 VPAP ASV or Philips Respironics SV Auto. Tell these doctors to knock the dust out between their ears and start treating you. We outgrew the iron lung shortly before your machine was manufactured. If you have to self finance without insurance, check out Supplier 2 in our list at the top of this page.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Mike.Somerville,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Talk to your doc about this and I hope they will get it together and start treating you with a more up-to-date machine.
Much success to you and keep us posted on your progress.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the advice.
I am in a program that will provide machines free for life, but I will try to get an ASV machine from them.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-09-2016, 01:06 PM)Mike.Somerville Wrote: Thanks for the advice.
I am in a program that will provide machines free for life, but I will try to get an ASV machine from them.

Sticking with a standard CPAP or Bi-Pap machine is not healthy if you have significant Central Apnea. Using the wrong machine could be worse than no machine at all.

RichB

Download Sleepyhead
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Treating low grade CA with ASV tossinandturnin 18 459 4 hours ago
Last Post: tossinandturnin
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 12 2,671 04-13-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Cannabis treating central apneas? ashwa 17 2,573 04-12-2024, 01:39 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Medicare and Sleep Apnea Equipment chzuck 12 229 04-10-2024, 01:47 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  APAP Titration Help Needed dosertg07 2 153 04-09-2024, 11:45 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Treatment] Most events are Central Apnea / Clear Airway joeblough 7 214 04-08-2024, 04:00 PM
Last Post: joeblough
  Chart help needed SteveC 4 177 04-07-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: SteveC

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.