Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help needed with VPAP III ST-A treating Central Sleep Apnea
RE: Help needed with VPAP III ST-A treating Central Sleep Apnea
Not sure about Canada's programs, but the ASAA does *not* deal with ASV machines. Won't accept donation of one, anyways...
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the comments, this has been an interesting week.

I found out a few things this week.

1) No place has been able to pull the data off my VPAP III, even the places the 'Ventilator Equipment Pool' told me would be able to do it. In fact they have never seen or heard of this model before. And the ResScan software has no option to access data through a serial com port as previous version have.

2) Ontario's Assistive Devices Program explicitly excludes ASV, so the Ventilator Equipment Pool will never issue them.

3) My new employer's insurance will actually cover 100% everything I need, even a $5000 machine. All they need is a prescription

4) After playing phone tag with a 3rd party my doctor's message was
- As of last July I was not compliant with using the Bilevel machine
- Use it consistently then call back for an appointment.
- The sleep study suggested BiLevel was effective
- I can't have an ASV

5) My doctor knew I was moving away when I last saw her and requested that I send the data for her to analyze. But I cannot access the data. I told them I can't take a whole day to drive halfway across the province and back again for a 10 minute appointment, especially if the machine provides no information.

Pretty P*ssed. I have no way of knowing if the treatment is working

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-12-2016, 02:16 PM)Mike.Somerville Wrote: Thanks for the comments, this has been an interesting week.

I found out a few things this week.

1) No place has been able to pull the data off my VPAP III, even the places the 'Ventilator Equipment Pool' told me would be able to do it. In fact they have never seen or heard of this model before. And the ResScan software has no option to access data through a serial com port as previous version have.

2) Ontario's Assistive Devices Program explicitly excludes ASV, so the Ventilator Equipment Pool will never issue them.

3) My new employer's insurance will actually cover 100% everything I need, even a $5000 machine. All they need is a prescription

4) After playing phone tag with a 3rd party my doctor's message was
- As of last July I was not compliant with using the Bilevel machine
- Use it consistently then call back for an appointment.
- The sleep study suggested BiLevel was effective
- I can't have an ASV

5) My doctor knew I was moving away when I last saw her and requested that I send the data for her to analyze. But I cannot access the data. I told them I can't take a whole day to drive halfway across the province and back again for a 10 minute appointment, especially if the machine provides no information.

Pretty P*ssed. I have no way of knowing if the treatment is working

You need a new Sleep Doc and probably will require a new sleep study. It took me 5 sleep studies to finally get an ASV machine. As far as compliance it is your word vs theirs since they have no data. Start over. I was directed to my University Medical Center (teaching hospital). I found a Sleep Doc who was familiar with Central Apnea. I still had to undergo 2 sleep studies to get my ASV machine. It works. There are lots of people on this Board using ASV machines. It is the only real non-medication treatment for Idiopathic Central Apnea not associated with Congestive Heart Failure.

RichB
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
I finally have an update.

A manager from Medigas came to my house and got the data for me. It turns out that I have zero AHI when I use the VPAP III ST/A for Central Sleep Apnea.

My next step is to find a new machine. My current machine is huge, very noisy, with a panel so bright I have to cover it, and it is difficult to get data.

I can get a prescription for a new Bilevel ST plus all accessories at no cost through my work.

What is the best Bilevel ST machine on the market?

Post Reply Post Reply
IMHO, it would be the ResMed AirCurve™ 10 ST. I'm sure Phillips-Respironics makes a fine machine is this class too.

For CSA, I wonder why they are not providing Cadillac of machines for CA -- an ASV.
That would be the ResMed AirCurveTM 10 ASV.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-05-2016, 02:56 PM)justMongo Wrote: IMHO, it would be the ResMed AirCurve™ 10 ST. I'm sure Phillips-Respironics makes a fine machine is this class too.

For CSA, I wonder why they are not providing Cadillac of machines for CA -- an ASV.
That would be the ResMed AirCurveTM 10 ASV.

I agree with JM. I also use the Aircurve 10 ASV.

Rich
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
And to think I was discouraged after a process of referral/consult/study <waiting> that lasted only five months or so. You've been through the wringer and still don't have what you need! I hope the final step to ASV is faster!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 27 602 Yesterday, 04:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 248 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,525 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 356 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,406 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 617 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 294 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.