Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help, new diagnosis
Help, new diagnosis
hello, I have told I have sleep apnea after my sleep test, I stop breathing 75 times an hour and my stats go down to 68% I don't see anyone until Thursday am
I going to die n my sleep, am so scared...any advice please.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help, new diagnosis
No Scared, you will not die in your sleep. You'll be fine.

The thing is, you've had sleep apnea for a long time even though you did not know that. So waiting for a little while for the medical stuff to catch up will be ok.

But I do understand your concern.

So, do this: First, when you go to bed, make sure the head of your bed is elevated some. Also do whatever you can to make sure you are sleeping on your side, not your back.

You'll be ok. I promise.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-04-2015, 03:47 PM)Scared Wrote: hello, I have told I have sleep apnea after my sleep test, I stop breathing 75 times an hour and my stats go down to 68% I don't see anyone until Thursday am
I going to die n my sleep, am so scared...any advice please.

Scared,

I have been where you are at, and understand the panic feeling that goes with this diagnosis. After my sleep test, I had to wait almost two weeks for a sleep doc. to read results and another three weeks to see him just to get a scrip for my CPAP.
Within that time span, I was scared and panicky. I felt what you describe as feeling like you might die in your sleep. I didn't want to sleep at night, that's how scared I was! I didn't find this forum until I had been on therapy for a few weeks, and got no support from Docs, DME, or sleep clinic.
I did however find articles that told me to sleep on my side and make sure I was elevated. So for all that time between sleep study and getting my machine, I found myself sleeping in my recliner most nights.
It's a shame that we go through such nonsense. There should be more compassion and support.

So until you see your Doc. On Thursday, try to relax....I know...easier said than done! Sleep elevated! You will be fine. Check back when you get your machine,
and please be sure your Doc. writes a scrip for a Fully Data Capable Auto machine.
OpalRose
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the board! What R_G said you've had apnea for awhile. So it's a good thing you're taking the steps now to get your apnea treated. Best of luck on your journey.
Post Reply Post Reply
You have been like this for a while I suspect,so don't worry about dying just yet. I would use extra cushions or pillows to prop you up to try to help blocked airway.You will get help very soon so hang in there and the best of luck to you!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Scared,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Just try to sleep on your side and elivate your head a bit, as others have said, you'll be ok.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you as you start your sleep apnea journey.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome.

Relax. Take a deep breath.

Think of not using CPAP as being like smoking a few packs of cigarettes a day, and you've been doing it for years. It's probably not going to kill you tonight, but there's a good chance it will kill you eventually. Stopping smoking today vs. stopping smoking in a few weeks isn't going to make a big difference in the long term odds.

If you're a newly diagnosed apneac, the chance you'll have some sort of new serious problem like a heart attack or stroke in the next few weeks is pretty small.

However, there's good news.

You got here before you got your CPAP machine. Read up on the tricks and tips for new CPAP users here. If you go into your doctor and DME (CPAP salesman) unprepared, there's a really big chance you'll get screwed in various ways.

Read the Useful Links in my signature line at the bottom of this post. It will help you deal with the DME and not get screwed with a bad machine that will make good treatment nearly impossible.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all so so much, I feel a little better knowing I am not alone, I have an electric bed so have raised it so I am nearly sat up.

Another question sorry... I live in France so do nit know what to expect, but has anyone any advice on what questions to ask and what machine to get, I suffer from a very dry mouth and throat, are they electric. also I am going on holiday do I have to notify the airline and can you carry them on the plane without being in your hand luggage?

No doubt will think of more questions ....Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Does Insurance cover any or all of your equipment? If so, you may be more or less bound to use whatever they will pay for. The rules in France may be wildly different than the rules in the US which is what I am familiar with Smile There are people on this board from a variety of countries and with a variety of coverages , maybe one of the others knows more about your situation than I do. If you have choices, go with
  1. data capable (not just compliance data, or ahi - but extended data
  2. auto titrating (bonus, these systems have the data too)
  3. resmed or respironics (that is what most of us have)

Archangle gave you links to tell you this and more. it's a lot of data!

yes they are electric.
they do not count as extra baggage, and can be added to the carryon count. there are several threads on here about traveling with cpap.

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Only thing I'll add to Daria's comment is in regard to your dry throat/mouth. That's another symptom of Sleep Apnea, usually caused by mouth breathing and snoring. So that will improve once you get started on your therapy. Usually the machines will come with a humidifier and that will make things nicer for you as well.

So study up a little, and just know that your life is getting ready to get a lot better.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 203 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Diagnosis question Timlondonparis 3 186 03-18-2024, 11:11 AM
Last Post: Timlondonparis
  New diagnosis, Vauto on the way, some questions SBTApnea 12 732 03-15-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
Thumbsup [Diagnosis] Didn't know this existed. Hi! And diagnosis please smgemd 6 253 03-07-2024, 10:23 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  [Diagnosis] WatchPAT sleep apena diagnosis low AHI higher RDI. Need advice godiego 22 3,434 02-28-2024, 02:39 PM
Last Post: godiego
  Doubts about my diagnosis? (Test results + First night with CPAP) IAXEM 14 884 02-26-2024, 03:46 PM
Last Post: IAXEM
Question [Diagnosis] NEWBIE Looking for first diagnosis assistance Gothenburg85 5 347 02-16-2024, 06:25 PM
Last Post: Gothenburg85

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.