Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset
CPAP Pressure: 8-16
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: Satisfied Resmed customer since March 1996

Sex: Male

RE: Help newly diagnosed with apnea
It took me 6 months before I could sleep through the night without pulling the mask off on my sleep. The old masks felt like you were trapped in something but the nasal pillows seem barely there.

Additionally the variable pressure that adjusts with every breath was a game changer. You used to get a fixed air flow all night which sometimes made you feel you were being inflated like a balloon.
11-05-2014 04:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
nunz4 Offline

Members

Machine: resmed airsense s10 autoset
Mask Make & Model: resmed swift fx pillow
Humidifier: included with s10 autoset
CPAP Pressure: 5-15

Other Comments:

I got the resmed airsense s10 autoset and used it last night for the first time, I guess it needs to be readajusted, I used the swift-fx nasal pillow and turned it on
I felt the pressure but had to exhale very hard and it was not easy , I had to stop cause it felt like I was not breathing with easy and it became very uncomfortable. I had to swicth to the other mask witch I had that was the swift -fx nasal mask and I reprogramed mask type on machine, at least i could breathe out with this one, i woke up several times but overall tolerated it all night, i could hear the air leaving from the escape port holes very powerfully and loud it was like a blowdryer , it felt as if it constantly is pushing air and not allowing me to exhale....need to call the rep today, i really cant tell what its set at, he said he programed it to my doctors request, he also said he was not too familiar with this machine, he has only delivered 1 in past few weeks. another thing he told me to keep ramp in off position.
(This post was last modified: 11-06-2014 07:49 AM by nunz4.)
11-06-2014 07:48 AM
brianwood619 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 16-22cm/h2o
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

To give you and idea.
It took me roughly three weeks to get used to the mask being on my face, sleeping maybe 3 hours a night
weeks 3 to 4 i started to sleep around five hours a night
and then going into week 5 i started sleeping 6 plus hours a night.
Today after three years on therapy I sleep roughly seven hours a night. I no longer snore, no longer am agitated, no longer have a short temper and the list goes on of what the old me was like. Make sure you follow all instructions and clean your mask and equipment. I clean my mask every morning with commercially bought mask cleaning wipes, then on Friday I take the mask apart and submerge it in mild soapy water and thoroughly clean and allow to air dry. Make sure the water reservoir is cleaned as well, usually i submerge it in mild soapy water about every two days and then allow it to air dry.

Good Luck to you, we'll be here for your questions.
11-06-2014 08:51 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
lab rat Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Airsense 10 Autoset

(11-06-2014 08:51 PM)brianwood619 Wrote:  To give you and idea.
It took me roughly three weeks to get used to the mask being on my face, sleeping maybe 3 hours a night
Today after three years on therapy I sleep roughly seven hours a night. I no longer snore, no longer am agitated, no longer have a short temper and the list goes on of what the old me was like. Make sure you follow all instructions and clean your mask and equipment. I clean my mask every morning with commercially bought mask cleaning wipes, then on Friday I take the mask apart and submerge it in mild soapy water and thoroughly clean and allow to air dry. Make sure the water reservoir is cleaned as well, usually i submerge it in mild soapy water about every two days and then allow it to air dry.

If you're like me you probably find you get a better night's sleep than your family and friends because the machine ensures every breath is uninterrupted.
11-06-2014 09:20 PM
nunz4 Offline

Members

Other Comments:

Thanks for the info Brianwood 619...im gonna follow your instructions last night was my second night and all went well, I did go back to swift nano nasal mask after about 2 hours using the pillow i had bad discomfort and mild irritation (maybe too tight but I was not in the mood to fiddle ) so I just switched and slept the rest of the night without problems, funny I think I feel real good today, and it looks like my dark circles under my eyes are getting better. I can hardly wait to feel 100%
gonna by clean wipes and mild liquid soap today to make sure all stays clean.Thanks
11-07-2014 10:00 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
nunz4 Offline

Members

Other Comments:

(11-06-2014 09:20 PM)lab rat Wrote:  

If you're like me you probably find you get a better night's sleep than your family and friends because the machine ensures every breath is uninterrupted.

Labrat, funny thats what my wife said this morning...she said she never heard me move....so I must have!
11-07-2014 10:04 AM
lab rat Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Airsense 10 Autoset

Well you either persevere or die. But the best feeling is waking up in the morning and realising you wore the mask all night.

Thats when you realise you have your life back.

I tried the nano but hated it. The swift fx pillows are so soft you barely know they are there. Years ago I participated in focus groups for Resmed here in Sydney when they were developing it and the prototypes were sticky taped together! But I realised the variety of people with apneas from housewives to truck drivers with full beards who had trouble getting a mask to seal on their face.

You picked a great time to start therapy because the new equipment makes it so much easier to "comply" as they call it.
11-07-2014 05:53 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
nunz4 Offline

Members

Other Comments:

(11-07-2014 05:53 PM)lab rat Wrote:  Well you either persevere or die. But the best feeling is waking up in the morning and realising you wore the mask all night.

Thats when you realise you have your life back.

I tried the nano but hated it. The swift fx pillows are so soft you barely know they are there. Years ago I participated in focus groups for Resmed here in Sydney when they were developing it and the prototypes were sticky taped together! But I realised the variety of people with apneas from housewives to truck drivers with full beards who had trouble getting a mask to seal on their face.

You picked a great time to start therapy because the new equipment makes it so much easier to "comply" as they call it.

True!...I got a score of 99 with the pillows last night on MYAIR dashboard with 8 hours 11 min of sleep, with the nasal nano mask it was 85 the night before, many leaks probably to side sleeping etc. i have to agree that the pillows seem to deliver the air much better, I do belive this will be my final choice, but gonna keep the nano for back up or when and if nose flares gets irritated , or any other problem.
11-10-2014 01:26 PM
Franklyspeaking Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Resmed S10 autosense
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Respironic blue gel mask
Humidifier: Resmed S10 autosense
CPAP Pressure: 4-18
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Female

(11-05-2014 08:36 AM)nunz4 Wrote:  Hi all, im a cpap newbie, I was just given my sleep study report AHI=29 RDI= 56 per hour...I have never used a machine.
the DME is delivering either a resmed 9s or airsense s10 autoset today, any sugestions on which of the 2 are better for me or which should I choose ? I will be using a swift fx nasal pillow. I live in miami. any help is appriciated , sorry I have not looked thru the links yet, dont mean to be asking repeat questions. thanks!

------------------
I have both, I like the S9 the best. My S10 is being replaced due to mechanical problems. the S9 was simple to use with no issues.
11-14-2014 01:51 PM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Ordered a Auto CPAP / Was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea jakthebomb 15 815 10-18-2016 08:00 AM
Last Post: southerndoc
  was diagnosed with apnea 10 years ago.... last sleep study came back negative LB1982 13 1,091 10-08-2016 07:34 PM
Last Post: lab rat
  newly diagnosed-resmed question mummadee 3 340 09-18-2016 06:48 AM
Last Post: cate1898
  Just Diagnosed - Starting Treatment SleepySleeps 30 1,261 09-12-2016 03:14 PM
Last Post: SleepySleeps
  [Diagnosis] Just Diagnosed, getting my CPAP next week bernerbits 21 980 09-09-2016 07:05 PM
Last Post: Maskup Sleepwell
  Just diagnosed Skittles3350 7 327 08-29-2016 10:22 PM
Last Post: Skittles3350
  Newly Diagnosed With Question ronsch00 9 788 08-29-2016 06:04 PM
Last Post: ronsch00