Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help no mask tonight
Help no mask tonight
So the small seal on the mask where the hose clips in came off.. Of course I can't get another mask tonight may be not even tomorrow as it's Sunday I did email the couple of local places that supply cpap machines and parts in the hope they happened to check it.... 

My question is any suggestions on what to do apart from sleep on my side or sitting in a recliner maybe?

I will be purchasing a spare mask this time so this doesn't happen again!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help no mask tonight
A mask broke with me once, right where it clips onto the straps.
I tried to do a repair, but it didn't really work, so what I did was to put something onto my head (I think it was a dish towel) and used insulation tape the first night as it was late and I didn't have time to mess about.
The next night I used a stretchy bandage, folded it long ways and wrapped it round my head to hold the mask in place.
The third night I found a smallish thing for putting round a case (not sure if it was intended for this or not) but I put this round my head and adjusted it to hold the mask in place.
If you try one of these, MAKE SURE the VENTS are CLEAR.

I tried supper glue, but it didn't work, however, I got Gell Superglue after I got a new mask and the Gell type did hold, but I don't know if it would take the strain for to long?
I changed mask types after that, but it is still up there, all yellow silicone and looking very tired.  I found it yesterday, but I think it is due to see a bin.  The repair is still holding even after all the knocks it get in the cupboard, but I don't know if it would take the strain of being used.  If you can get the Gel type of Super glue it might be worth a try.

When I used the bandage I folded it in half long ways, then wrapped it round twice, once above the vent, then below.  Funny feeling I had to twist the bandage so it would lock together to stop it slipping just after the vent.
Just spoke to the other half, she said I did twist the bandage just after the mask vent, then put the bandage round the back of my head and she fixed it in place.  She can;t remember if she used a pin or taped it, I think she used a safety pin, then put wide tape round above the bandage to the side of my head.  Didn't look very sexy, but it did the job.
You need to use thee bandage that stretches slightly, otherwise it end up to tight.  But if it is only for a night or two, you might be able to put up with it.

Wait for more suggestions.   Smile
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
I think I'd try the recliner if there was no way to use a mask. It won't be perfect sleep but it should be better than sleeping flat.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
It depends on how you're built. I have a compromised airway when in a recliner, even when awake! I also cannot use the cervical collar that everyone is so fond of, because I am a side sleeper and it presses against the side of my neck enough to cause a problem.

My vote is for side sleeping. If you tend to roll onto your back, it may help to place something heavy behind you so that you'll press up against it instead of rolling completely over. It needs to be something heavy enough that it will not move away from you without effort. I've used a heavy blanket, folded into a dense rectangle and also a large buckwheat pillow.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the replies... I am trying side sleeping had about an hour... And it's not great but no choice. I don't think I can fix the mask in a way I would feel safe using it. A friend has offered me a full face one (not just nose and mouth) she has spare... Never tried one and I don't know if I would use the same air pressure with it. Not sure if it is resmed either so will it even fit my hose but might go check it out
Post Reply Post Reply
There is a setting on the front of the machine (ResMed) that allows you to say which type of mask you are using. Set it to Full Face Mask. If you cannot see that setting, then a setting within the machine can be changed so that you can. Someone else will have to help you with that though. Hopefully they'll be along shortly. Best wishes!
Post Reply Post Reply
Maybe a cervical collar too if there is a place nearby to get one, I've found that helps to keep my neck straight to prevent obstruction.
Post Reply Post Reply
It would really help to know what brand,model of mask this is, or even better, a picture of the broken part. I'm a regular McGiver of fixing things like this. Does the seal look like a rubber ring? You might be able to get a serviceable o-ring at a hardware or DIY store.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
https://www.resmed.com/au/en/consumer/pr...r-her.html

this is the brand, its a small silicon looking ring that sits where the mask joins to the hose, I think it was on the inside of the mask which makes me concerned it will get sucked into my mouth if it falls off like it did.... I don't know for sure if I am putting it back on correctly. I could put a tiny bit of glue for one more night.... but not sure if it would be safe.
Post Reply Post Reply
Not sure if this attachment works but I tried to send a photo of the seal... Maybe it is meant to be loose on the hose end I just haven't noticed it before I can put it back on and it looks OK but seems too easy to come out... No instructions anywhere on it so frustrating.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  iNAP First Night Test Tonight (Running with APAP) Apnea23 4 1,219 01-21-2024, 10:32 PM
Last Post: scowell
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,532 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
Sad [CPAP] Need help tonight Chavonda67 1 431 11-01-2022, 09:25 PM
Last Post: KeepSmiling
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,219 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,758 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Came home to a surprise tonight! speed3914 7 1,239 09-20-2021, 10:21 AM
Last Post: factor
  Question re: Virtuox Ultra test with RemStar Auto A-Flex tonight. Help, please. Helena 2 824 08-30-2021, 06:57 PM
Last Post: Helena

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.