Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help please for a new Resmed user.
RE: Help please for a new Resmed user.
As a rule, in most cases you can trust what the machine tells you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the replies - it's the free airway apneas that worry me most - she has a few each night, usually no more than 15 seconds, but sometimes more than 20 seconds.

I'm worried that one night they may last longer . . .
Post Reply Post Reply
Honestly, I wouldn't worry, monitor yes, but not worry. I and others have requested that users contact their doctors asap several times, you are nowhere near that threshold.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good suggestions above. I am not concerned with the CA events flagged for your wife, or I would not suggest the full EPR settings of 7/4. I do think this is going to be much more comfortable, and especially if the leaks are controlled. The main reason a data-recording CPAP might get the apnea type wrong is leaks, It is very subtle whether the pressure sensors that determine CA or OA are detecting an open airway, or a leaking circuit.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all the advice - maybe I worry too much, but it's unnerving when your spouse stops breathing in the middle of the night.

Last night we tried upping the pressure a bit (5.0/7.0 instead of 4.0/5.8) and the humidifier set at 2.  The figures are very good for the night: 2 small hypopnea and one clear airway of 12 seconds, but she slept badly, and when she woke up there was dried blood around her lips   Sad .

The technician came round to-day and has reset the machine at 5.0/12.0 in Autoset and no humidifier.  I don't think that she will sleep very well with that, but we'll give it a try tonight.

Has anyone an idea for the blood ?

Here are a couple of charts for the night:

Post Reply Post Reply
EPR setting is important for her.
If the 'tech' didn't give you marching orders I'd say keep the fixed 7 and set EPR = 3.
This will better with the flow limitations and allow a lower average pressure.

I just checked and you already have several recommendations for these same settings. These settings can't provide better efficacy, your numbers are as good as they get, but should provide better comfort.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Fred, we'll give it a try .
Post Reply Post Reply
The OSCAR charts look good and most of us here would be very happy with an AHI of 0.37. Leak rates look OK as well.

What hasn't been mentioned here is the cumulative effect of using PAP therapy. I suspect that it's because most of us here have a hazy memory of those early days. My experience was that when my AHI numbers eventually came good I didn't initially feel better and I suspect that this is true for most PAP users. The good news is that I did eventually feel better and I can remember driving to work one morning thinking "this is the best I've felt in a long time". It will happen for your wife.

Listen to and apply the very sage advice from the experts on this forum but she's already doing very well with her therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Holden,

I know that's good advice - maybe I'm too impatient, wanting a miracle cure the first night  Rolleyes
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 53 1,401 1 hour ago
Last Post: Pawpri
Cool [Pressure] Finally a Resmed user!!! Need Help!!! :) mrsleepyhead2001 2 171 04-01-2024, 01:48 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  QQ: Looong time BiPAP user, new to ResMed/This forum haemaker 1 225 02-26-2024, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] User interface nightmare - Resmed Airsense 10 edsela 4 673 09-15-2023, 07:23 PM
Last Post: edsela
  new resmed user - question about Myair and airview wooders 4 1,089 08-20-2023, 12:40 PM
Last Post: krsattler
  New user, want to get data from Resmed p10 ksomauroo 1 365 04-19-2023, 12:03 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  New Resmed Autoset 10 User - OSCAR & Settings Can80an 3 699 02-08-2023, 01:28 AM
Last Post: Melman

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.