Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help please for a new Resmed user.
RE: Help please for a new Resmed user.
Got four posts, but the forum is still telling me "I'm sorry, brand new members are not allowed to post images until they have 4 posts."    ? ? ?
Post Reply Post Reply
Here are the charts for last night - I hope they are useful for you:

Complete night:

30 minute view of OAs

2 minute view of OAs

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-01-2019, 12:42 PM)Partner Wrote: Got four posts, but the forum is still telling me "I'm sorry, brand new members are not allowed to post images until they have 4 posts."    ? ? ?

Those are 4 U.S. posts but being in France, you have 4 metric posts and you know there is a conversion factor. Big Grin Seriously, it takes the server a little while to recognized that you have obtained the required number. Wait a little while and try again.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-01-2019, 12:30 PM)Partner Wrote: We'll give the humidifier a try   Smile 

Your suggestion of teaching Mrs Partner to lightly suck her tongue between her molars made me think of teaching Granny to suck eggs . . .   (sorry).

Next post should be the charts . . .

I had to laugh at that, but seriously...it really works.  I was lucky and found that method very easy to use.  

I also used this exercise before starting Cpap to help strengthen the muscles in the throat area and help maintain control of the tongue:

With mouth closed and tongue at roof of mouth behind front teeth, slide the tip of tongue slowly from front to back, keeping the tip of tongue to roof of mouth.  Hold for a count of 8, then slide
tongue slowly forward again.  Hold for a count of 8.   Do 6 sets a few times a day.

You can do it anytime, and no one knows you are doing it.  Smile
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
We'll give it a try - thanks for your help.

I must have been too slow posting the charts, because they've appeared in post No. 12.  Or maybe it's a time-zone thing   Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
I call myself a tapist.  I haven't managed to master the tongue-suck technique, and I have gone to the next quickest control for mouth breathing or leaking, and that was to tape vs. the collar.  So far, so good.

It's not for everyone, and not really recommended.  All I ever do is say that I have done it since Night #2, and that it has worked well ever since.  Your nickel, your choice.

But what I wanted to address mostly is the cheempunk syndrome....sorry...chipmunk syndrome.  Dont-know   If you are taping effectively, and are a slack-mouthed sleeper (wow, THERE'S a hefty label for ya!), your cheeks will puff as much as mine under even minor pressures delivered via PAP regimens.  However, you mentioned that your tape has let you down at times, and that's as bad as any RERA or full arousal...it interrupts your sleep pattern.  I don't know what you're using, but I have found the 3M Corp's Nexcare white 2.5cm wide 'water resistant' tape to work very well.  At any pharmacy worth visiting, and probably at Wally's as well, it comes in a white plastic spool, usually with a tub-like enclosure to slip over the flanges of the spool.  I take pains to press mine into place everywhere on its surface once applied, and that works very well.  

I believe, to address aerophagia, that if it happens, it's probably going to happen while sleeping supine...on your back.  At least, that's when I am more likely to experience it.  It happens that many of the unwanted events related to apneas take place when sleeping supine.

As a tip, in case it's news to you, sleeping in the 'recovery' position, curled up fairly tightly on one's LEFT side, will help to express 'pressure' from either end of the alimentary tract.  Just ask the nurses at the endoscopy clinic.  I get a thumbs up for that one.  The point is, while you are hoping to deal with the bloatedness at zero-dark thirty, and would rather not head to the toilet, if you turn over on your left side, knees drawn up quite a ways, you'll soon find yourself back asleep (while your partner will be wide awake and fuming).
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-01-2019, 12:57 PM)Partner Wrote: Here are the charts for last night - I hope they are useful for you:

Complete night:

30 minute view of OAs

2 minute view of OAs

Partner, this chart helps a lot.  Your wife is using a fixed CPAP pressure of 5.8 cm (almost 6.0) with EPR (exhale pressure relief) of 1 CPAP mode.  This results in an inhale pressure of 5.8 and exhale pressure 4.8.  What stands out for me is the Flow Limitation which is persistently high and is the reason her pressure would rise using autoset pressure.  I know there is a lot of concern here for high pressure causing leaks, but I really think your wife will be more comfortable with a pressure setting of 7.0 with EPR 3.  This will result in a higher inhale pressure of 7.0, but lower exhale pressure of 4.0.  This difference in pressure between inhale and exhale is called "Pressure Support" in bilevel, and it can have a very therapeutic effect on flow limitation, which is caused by a restriction in the upper airway.  If you can set the machine in either Autoset mode Autoset mode with minimum and maximum pressure at 7.0, or in CPAP mode with pressure at 7.0, and set the EPR to 3 in Comfort Settings, then your wife will have pressure of 7.0/4.0.  This should be more comfortable, will treat hypopnea, and should not significantly increase leaks. This should also help a lot with the problem between 06:15 to 07:15 where she is inhaling through the nose, but exhaling by mouth. 

The AHI is pretty acceptable at her current pressure, but increasing EPR is going to improve comfort, should reduce the hypopnea and may help her relieve the flow limits which can be very disruptive to sleep. Here is a link to a Wiki article that discusses why bilevel pressure is beneficial for upper airway resistance syndrome, which appears to describe your wife's problem best http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ome_(UARS)

[Image: attachment.php?aid=15095]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank-you for your advice Sleeprider   Smile

The machine was set up in June at 5 min 15 max in APAP, but this caused so much air loss through her lips that she couldn't sleep.

The pressure was dropped to 5 min 8 max in APAP in July, which improved things, although she still had a lot of hypopnea and central apneas (which she didn't have in the sleep test).  In both cases the technician set the EPR at 1cm during the ramp.

When on a pressure of 8, there seemed to be even more flow limits than she has now on 6.

I've included the charts from 10/07/2019 as an example:

10 July, complete:

10 July, 10 minute:

It seems that she has less problems with lower pressure; which is counter-intuitive (?).

I'm pretty sure that most of her apneas/hypopneas now occur when she sleeps on her back, so we are currently working on this problem and reducing the leaks (which I presume reduce the efficacity of the machine ?).

A little bonus question if I may: last week I tried out the machine to see what it felt like (and was agreably surprised !). However when I held my breath for 15 seconds, it was flagged up on Oscar (and Resscan) as an OA.  Can we trust the distinction between OA and CA made by these machines ?
Post Reply Post Reply
regarding the bonus question: I just held my breath. the way that feels like the 'default' method is to close my throat; it's easier than holding my breath with throat open. chances are you closed your throat and if so, it properly identified it as oa.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 44 1,290 04-05-2024, 08:17 AM
Last Post: Pawpri
Cool [Pressure] Finally a Resmed user!!! Need Help!!! :) mrsleepyhead2001 2 168 04-01-2024, 01:48 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  QQ: Looong time BiPAP user, new to ResMed/This forum haemaker 1 222 02-26-2024, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] User interface nightmare - Resmed Airsense 10 edsela 4 672 09-15-2023, 07:23 PM
Last Post: edsela
  new resmed user - question about Myair and airview wooders 4 1,087 08-20-2023, 12:40 PM
Last Post: krsattler
  New user, want to get data from Resmed p10 ksomauroo 1 364 04-19-2023, 12:03 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  New Resmed Autoset 10 User - OSCAR & Settings Can80an 3 692 02-08-2023, 01:28 AM
Last Post: Melman

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.