Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help please for a new Resmed user.
Help please for a new Resmed user.
Hello everyone.

My wife had a sleep study in June which came up with an AHI of 32.2/H with no central apneas. The longest OA was 72 seconds.

She was immediately prescribed a CPAP/APAP machine -a Resmed 10 autoset set to 5 -15 cm H2O in APAP mode.

This brought her AHI down to 7/H, but kept waking her up, due to the air pressure opening her lips with a resulting (noisy) gale.
Since then, the visiting technician has brought the pressure down to 4 - 6 in CPAP mode.

She now sleeps better, although her lips are still forced open from time to time (even when taped up) and her AHI varies between 1 and 3.5 / H.  Which sounds good, but she has a lot of small apneas (<10 seconds) which aren't logged and then, typically, a packet of 20 -30 second apneas usually between 4 and 6 o'clock in the morning.

I've read some very interesting posts on the forum and have been trying to understand the results on ResScan and Oscar but some nights I can't make head or tail of them . . .   Dont-know

Could someone offer advice on how to proceed, please ?

PS she'll be 74 this year.

Thanks in advance.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help please for a new Resmed user.
It would be very helpful if you would post some daily screenshots.  For information on chart orginization and how to post them, please see the links in my signature.

PS: I bet she doesn't know that you posted her age.  Big Grin
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Controlling mouth leaks can be challenging. The mechanism by which we exclude pressure from the mouth is the tongue, and it is effective as long as it is firmly sucked into the roof of the mouth behind the front teeth. If your wife's jaw tends to relax during sleep, then the tongue can fall and open a path for air to escape. We either learn to keep the tongue in place, or we can use something to support the jaw to keep it shut, or use a full face mask. Things to consider in supporting the jaw are a small C-shaped roll pillow, soft cervical collar, or even pulling a soft feather pillow between the shoulder and jaw. There is no single answer, and members have done many things from the "tongue suck technique" to taping.

The pressure range of 4 to 6 is very low,, and may not be the most effective approach to avoid leaks or optimize therapy. It also will make exhale pressure relief very limited or impossible. If you post a daily details chart from OSCAR we can give you some opinions on efficacy and perhaps comment on whether she should consider going the full-face mask route.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your rapid replies   Smile

@ Crimson Nape,     I shall try to post up a few charts - something that puzzles me however is that on ResScan, I only get 8 charts, whereas on Oscar I have 14.  Is this normal ?  (I did check the "all data" box when loading from the SD card).

And yes, Idid get permission from Mrs Partner for her age (although not in writing Rolleyes  ).

@ Sleeprider,   The problem is definitely not her jaw dropping (which I suspected in the beginning) - at the higher pressure her cheeks were puffed out like a chipmunk and then out came the air.  It's better now at the lower pressure, but still happens.
You're probaly right about the tongue-control, but I'm not sure what the solution is . . .   The technician installed a humidifier to solve the problem, but she hasn't used it yet. 

Just tried to post last night's results, but I need 4 posts !
Post Reply Post Reply
I've never used Rescan but it is normal to have 14 charts in OSCAR. You don't need to post them all. The important ones are event flags, flow rate, pressure (not mask pressure), leak rate, and flow limits.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

Post Reply Post Reply
While ResScan and OSCAR theoretically provide the same data, the way OSCAR displays this information provides a better understanding of the data. OSCAR is the preferred program here on the forum. You will need at least 4 posts in order to attach the screenshots.

Looking forward to seeing the charts.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
I've prepared the screenshots for last night, using Resscan, but I've only just realised that it's all in French   Rolleyes 

I'll re-do them with Oscar . . . which is in English !
Post Reply Post Reply
The use of the humidifier should help with comfort, and may help in sealing out leaks. First, thing you will notice is that the machine is much quieter with a humidifier. The more humid air can help keep the mouth and throat from drying,and of course our noses are very sensitive to unconditioned air. I think you should start using it tonight!.

OSCAR is available with French language (or English if you prefer), and we will know what we are looking at regardless of the labels. Instructions for posting charts are in my signature links.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
From DariaVader:

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practicing during the day can help you to keep it at night
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
We'll give the humidifier a try   Smile 

Your suggestion of teaching Mrs Partner to lightly suck her tongue between her molars made me think of teaching Granny to suck eggs . . .   (sorry).

Next post should be the charts . . .
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 26 492 3 hours ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  QQ: Looong time BiPAP user, new to ResMed/This forum haemaker 1 190 02-26-2024, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] User interface nightmare - Resmed Airsense 10 edsela 4 621 09-15-2023, 07:23 PM
Last Post: edsela
  new resmed user - question about Myair and airview wooders 4 1,049 08-20-2023, 12:40 PM
Last Post: krsattler
  New user, want to get data from Resmed p10 ksomauroo 1 351 04-19-2023, 12:03 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  New Resmed Autoset 10 User - OSCAR & Settings Can80an 3 668 02-08-2023, 01:28 AM
Last Post: Melman
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,217 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.