Mask Make & Model: resmed
Humidifier: unsure
CPAP Pressure: 6 - 16
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed

Help please new user Resmed auto 9 VERY loud
Hello-
First allow me to introduce myself... I'm actually not the patient but the spouse. I'm trying to trouble shoot for my husband who just purchased a resmed autoset 9 with humidifier without heated hose.

He did a trial with a local company for several months which went well. The machine was quiet and helped both of us sleep better! Unfortunately the price was astronomical!

I found the same machine with an online retailer for $2000 less! We've had his machine for a week now. The retailer was very easy to deal with and I will contact them on Monday but in the meantime perhaps we can get some suggestions...

This machine is SO LOUD. It's not the gentle whistle I've heard in online videos. It's not the mask - it's the actual machine. It makes this horrible loud hissing noise - so loud I can hear it in another room. My husband has also mentioned that in the morning it smells like a dryer vent... I'm assuming he means wet heat so something with the humidifier? It's set at 3 for humidity.

Because we aren't working with a local retailer we had to guess a bit at what to set it at. The APR is good now after trial and error and youtube, the ramp is fine, the levels are those of his prescription - the only thing I'm not sure about is the humidity and the NOISE. Oh also he's gotten sick now. It "could" be a cold but certainly nasal congestion which may be related to the machine not being set right. He's sleeping better than he did without it, so that is good, but it's so loud with this hissing that we are both struggling... I just stay up until 3am so I can collapse in bed as I'm so tired I can sleep with the noise. ANY suggestions are appreciated!
09-18-2016 02:59 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
cate1898 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: PR System One 560BT Auto
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: P10's/backup-DreamWear
Humidifier: PR attached
CPAP Pressure: 8.5 - 13. A-Flex 3
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Began CPAP Therapy Sept. 11, 2015. Hx Hypertension, Post Graves Disease, chronic migraines.

Sex: Female

RE: Help please new user Resmed auto 9 VERY loud
Hi mom1mg and welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear about the problem you are having with your hubby's new machine. Only thing I can think of is creating some more 'white' noise, like fans, or using a smartphone sleep app with gentle music or sounds to help drown it out. I sure hope the online retailer will quickly change out your machine for a non-defective one. Sounds like there is something wrong with the one you have.

Good luck and keep us posted!

APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!! Rolleyes

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
09-18-2016 06:23 AM
OpalRose Offline

Monitors

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto 560 with A Flex
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10 For Her
Humidifier: REMStar heated humidifier with heated hose
CPAP Pressure: Auto Cpap 10-13 AFLEX 1
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Started CPAP Therapy October 23, 2014

Agree, sounds like the machine is defective. You should have received a warranty which is usually 2 years. I would call the online retailer, and try to get a replacement.
Sleep-well

OpalRose
09-18-2016 07:01 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
edfreeman Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed S10
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10, Amara View
Humidifier: ResMed S10
CPAP Pressure: 9-12
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

The S9 should be quiet as a mouse. When mine made any noise, it was because the humidifier lid wasn't fully closed and latched. Were it me, I'd run the mask fit routine (mask on) and feel around the machine, especially the humidifier to unit junction and humidifier lid, hose, etc, for air leakage. You may have a seal in the unit leaking (or missing).
09-18-2016 08:13 AM
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

Check the gasket in the top of the humidifier. It's removable for cleaning; and has to be reseated just right.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
09-18-2016 08:23 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
chill Online

Advisory Members

Machine: DreamStation X500
Mask Make & Model: Walk-in Mask Closet
Humidifier: DreamStation
CPAP Pressure: 13-16

Other Comments: CPAP True Believer

Disconnect the humidifier from the blower. Attach the hose directly to the side of the blower. Turn the machine on. Do you still hear the noise? If so, the machine is defective (or maybe the hose has a large leak). If not, you have isolated the noise to the humidifier. This is not uncommon. Carefully check and re-seat the seals. If you press down on the humidifier lid, does the noise reduce?
09-18-2016 11:49 AM
Sleeprider Online
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: Resmed Climateline
CPAP Pressure: Auto Bilevel 18/9, PS 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

This noise most likely is from a loose fit on the humidifier container, or even a mis-aligned silicone gasket in the humidifier tray. Take the humidifier container out of the humidifier and inspect all the seals. Try re-inserting it firmly, and turn on the unit keeping the outlet tube blocked. A leak in the unit will be noisy. If the noise continues, remove the H5i humidifier from the blower unit and hook up the hose directly to the blower outlet. If the noise continues, the blower unit has a problem. If the noise goes away, then again, it is the seal where the blower outlet goes into the humidifier.

Your unit is under warranty, but this sounds like a problem that can be solved with some simple troubleshooting and reassembly.

09-18-2016 12:07 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
trish6hundred Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

Hi mom1mg,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
AS others have said, make sure the gasket in the humidifier lid is in correctly and it is closed snuggly. If it isn't closed tight, it will be loud.
I have had this happen to me and it is because I didn't press down firmly enough to close the lid.
Good luck to your husband with his CPAP therapy and to you with getting good sleep.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.

trish6hundred
09-18-2016 03:22 PM
JohnGrimes Offline

New Members

Machine: Resmed S9 Elite
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage FX
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 10

Other Comments:

Make sure the lid is fully closed and latched. It will still run when the lid is loose and when that is the case it makes a much louder sound. Also, make sure the hose is properly attached. May sound like a dumb answer, but my respironics is very quiet EXCEPT when I have added water and the lid did not latch and seal properly. While this may sound too obvious, it is the only thing I could think of that would make this loud noise.

JOHN
09-19-2016 06:50 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
klv329 Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Resmed s9 Adapt
Mask Make & Model: Resmed LT
Humidifier: 80
CPAP Pressure: 8.2, 1.4-10.0

Other Comments:

Sounds like something is wrong...

I'm pretty sure all resmed s9 machines have a little bit of air coming out the front.

If you unplug the machine and take off the humidifier and the filter cover and filter, you can plug the intake hole with one finger and blow into the out take hole and hear the air coming out of the front of the machine like a very slow leak. If you hear air escaping any where else, such as on top or on the sides, then something is wrong.

If it's the motor, well, I don't know what a defective motor sounds like. Does the sound change on exhalation or inhalation?
09-19-2016 09:53 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Long time CPAP user now with a problem PrkChps 5 209 12-07-2016 09:07 PM
Last Post: PrkChps
  New User Having Trouble Staying Asleep and more SnoreGalore 9 547 12-06-2016 08:00 PM
Last Post: SnoreGalore
  New User Problem with BiPAP AVAPS - Part 1 jmayer180 35 1,341 11-27-2016 09:50 AM
Last Post: jmayer180
  Resmed S9 Escape, loud noise on inhale alacardkane 8 297 11-26-2016 06:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  ResMed Airsense 10 Auto Set...Runaway Pressure Abnormal86 14 587 11-22-2016 11:39 PM
Last Post: sonicboom
  New User! SKClay 3 284 11-21-2016 08:52 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  new user wants advice Gazz 3 246 11-19-2016 11:06 AM
Last Post: trish6hundred