Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

mild sleep apnea
mild sleep apnea
What do you think would be the minimum events per hour level to get much benefit from a CPAP? I was just below 6 events per hour and it's pretty borderline.. Would it be worth it to get a CPAP now or maybe do everything I can to lose quite a bit of weight and maybe not need one at all? In other words, with all the awkwardness of trying to get used to the machine and fittings and money and all, is it really worth it with such a low events per hour rate?

Thanks for any replies! I am grateful that it isn't worse however, I have recently been diagnosed with Diastolic Dysfunction, Grade 1. I remember I tried a CPAP once before and had a terrible time with it.. but would try again if it could helpful until I lose the weight..

Thanks,

LG
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: mild sleep apnea
Welcome LGF1, the minimum is 5 per hour, between 5-15 is mild sleep apnea which it looks like what you have, all be it borderline. You could try other options in the short term and weight loss may help to bring you under 5 but the only way to tell would be to have another sleep study, good luck with it and keep us posted on your progress.
Post Reply Post Reply
5 events per hour, but how low does your oxygen go? If you had 5 events per hours and it drops to 88, you could resolve some of your problem by sleeping on your side (some use a tennis ball to train themselves). If it is dropping down to the 70s, then I would say you really need a cpap.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi LGF1,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Losing weight is a good thing for your over all health, but it doesn't mean that you'll necessarily get rid of sleep apnea.
It would probably be better to get started with CPAP therapy and get used to it.
Hang in there for other suggestions.
Good luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all for the replies! I think I will go in for the new sleep study so I can get the bi-pap at least for a while. I also experienced a central apnea during the last study which concerns me. I'm not sure what could be causing that and if I should be concerned or not by it..
thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
LGF1, your profile shows you're using a System One machine, and I assume it is auto based on a pressure range of 4-6. What kind of treated results do you get? Do you feel better using CPAP, compared to without? I suspect you are the best qualified to answer your own question. That is some of the lowest CPAP pressure I have seen. Welcome and good luck.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
And what are the symptoms that led you to ask for a sleep study? I have only mild-to-moderate apnea, but my complaint was that I was always sleepy, and could fall asleep at a red light, if I permitted myself. To me, that was worth learning cpap, because now I don't have that complaint!! Yay!!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 225 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 349 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 609 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 287 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 74 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 124 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 551 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.