Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: unsure
Humidifier: unsure
CPAP Pressure: 7.0
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Sex: Male
Help re new Travel Machine
We are taking an overseas trip and I purchased a new Transcend Auto machine thinking it would be easier for the travel. Have tried to use it but it requires me to breath in much harder which is uncomfortable and also is noisy when I inhale. We checked and the pressure is set to the same level as my regular machine - but with that machine I can just breathe normally and there is virtually no sound. I asked a local dealer and they just said smaller machines don't work as well in terms of generating air but I had purchased it online and they did not handle Transcend machines so maybe it was not a fair question to ask them. We called the company and all they did is send us instructions for adjusting the pressure.

So - my question is does this sound like something that might be fixed by adjusting the pressure? If so would I increase it to provide more airflow? (My current machine is set at 7.0 and ramps up from 4.0 I think).

Or am I just out the money I spent on the machine because as it stands I would much rather lug my primary machine along than try to sleep with this one the way it is working now.
05-16-2014 01:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Bama Rambler Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: Respironics System One DS460TS
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: DS6T
CPAP Pressure: 15 cmH2O
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: xPAP, Best thing since sliced bread!

RE: Help re new Travel Machine
It would help if you told us what your current machine is?

I'm not familiar with the Transcend, but I don't think it has any exhale relief and your other machine probably does. That's most likely the difference. However, If the Transcend does have exhale relief then turning it on will make a difference.
05-16-2014 02:21 PM
herbm Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed AutoSet S9
Mask Type: Oral
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Airfit P10 Nasal Pillow
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 11-16
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Backup Mask: Innomed Hybrid FFM -- Oral+Nasal Pillows

Your pressure is only 7 to start, perhaps the new machine is a little low and/or the hose is a little more restricted.

You might try the simple test of upping your pressure to 9 or 10 and see what that does.

I don't think the lack of EPR is LIKELY to be the reason for trouble inhaling (many of us turn off EPR anyway -- personally I can't tell the difference.)

For me, having the machine set below 8 means it feels like I am breathing through a small straw. Lot's of people report something similar at low settings.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
05-16-2014 02:40 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

Changing his pressure will not make a difference. Most likely it is he is used to his exhale relief setup from his usual machine, whatever that is. Having him jump 2 - 3 cm in pressure is a little risky bit of advice.

Husker, sit up with the machine on and the mask on during the day to get used to the sensation. Especially if the Transcend does not have any exhale relief capabilities. You should, with time, get used to it. You may also want to start sleeping with it at night to get used to it for extended periods of time.

As for the noise, that is quite possibly something that cannot be helped. It is a very small machine and not much room for much else.

There is also a review of the machine in our review section. Actually, there's two since there's now a new one out. Reading those may offer better advice.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-Somnetics-Transcend-CPAP
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-with-EZEX

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
05-16-2014 02:58 PM
sjssf Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Remedy s9 autoset
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: FP eson nasal maskS L
Humidifier: h5id
CPAP Pressure: 4-20
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments:

I recently came back from a two week trip using mine.
I have a rant about the "multi night" battery elsewhere. It does make strange sounds and the lights are idiotic, so it's understandable that there's confusion. The vendor who sold it to me was quick to answer my question before I finished. They were pretty clueless. I did describe the sounds to the mfgr and he said they sounded correct.
It has weird whining sound that mimics your exhale and at some point in the night it makes a blowing sound as if you have a leak. I checked by making a leak and it was a different sound. I thought maybe it was working hard to open me up after an incident but even after a few minutes, the sound is still loud as if it's working. I turned it off and it started the mimicing wheeze again. I think it just makes weird noises.
I do know I felt good after using it until the morning with the battery failed and I felt like crap. So as long as you can plug it in, I think it's an ok machine. It's super light which is fun for actual travel. Once you plug it in, the lights flash and then go off and it's apparently in stand by mode but it seems as if it's not on.
re the breathing, it seemed ok to me. Maybe you don't want the ramp up time?
05-16-2014 02:59 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
trish6hundred Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

Sex: Female

Hi HuskerBB,
WELCOME! to the forum! and have a nice trip.

trish6hundred
05-16-2014 03:31 PM
StarkismyDog Offline

Members

Machine: Transcend 2 Travel CPAP Machine
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: unsure
Humidifier: Transcend On-Head Kit for Waterless Humidification
CPAP Pressure: 9cm

Other Comments: central sleep apnea, restless legs syndrome, periodic limb movement disorder

Sex: Undisclosed
I have the transcend 2 with the on head humidification kit, and it is louder than my regular machine (which lives on my nightstand). I sleep with silicone earplugs, like Mac's, whenever I use the travel machine.

The lack of exhale relief on the transcend 2 was a little tough to get used to. Isn't the Auto supposed to have that? I used to wake up with air in my stomach from my machine. I'm at 9cm pressure. I sleep halfway between my side and stomach- with a pillow under my stomach and shoulder propping me at a 45 degree angle, and that tends to help. Haven't been bothered by it in a while.
06-04-2014 01:25 PM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Travel CPAP holden4th 5 279 11-13-2016 03:06 PM
Last Post: bill-e
  Travel CPAP that will run on 12V - 2016 update? ;-) NCZzzz 11 1,394 11-12-2016 12:07 AM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Looking for advice on new machine, good for travel - and adapting to life without PAP Hazel 8 472 11-08-2016 05:59 PM
Last Post: PsychoMike
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 2 5,996 10-12-2016 11:37 AM
Last Post: DariaVader
  Travel Sized CPAP Machine billkenney 11 1,430 09-28-2016 11:46 AM
Last Post: bill-e
  Travel to Australia with Apap. Newbee2016 10 528 09-24-2016 12:06 PM
Last Post: SharonN
  Battery for Airplane Travel EmilySleeps 5 498 09-16-2016 02:00 PM
Last Post: PoolQ