Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help re new Travel Machine
Help re new Travel Machine
We are taking an overseas trip and I purchased a new Transcend Auto machine thinking it would be easier for the travel. Have tried to use it but it requires me to breath in much harder which is uncomfortable and also is noisy when I inhale. We checked and the pressure is set to the same level as my regular machine - but with that machine I can just breathe normally and there is virtually no sound. I asked a local dealer and they just said smaller machines don't work as well in terms of generating air but I had purchased it online and they did not handle Transcend machines so maybe it was not a fair question to ask them. We called the company and all they did is send us instructions for adjusting the pressure.

So - my question is does this sound like something that might be fixed by adjusting the pressure? If so would I increase it to provide more airflow? (My current machine is set at 7.0 and ramps up from 4.0 I think).

Or am I just out the money I spent on the machine because as it stands I would much rather lug my primary machine along than try to sleep with this one the way it is working now.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help re new Travel Machine
It would help if you told us what your current machine is?

I'm not familiar with the Transcend, but I don't think it has any exhale relief and your other machine probably does. That's most likely the difference. However, If the Transcend does have exhale relief then turning it on will make a difference.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your pressure is only 7 to start, perhaps the new machine is a little low and/or the hose is a little more restricted.

You might try the simple test of upping your pressure to 9 or 10 and see what that does.

I don't think the lack of EPR is LIKELY to be the reason for trouble inhaling (many of us turn off EPR anyway -- personally I can't tell the difference.)

For me, having the machine set below 8 means it feels like I am breathing through a small straw. Lot's of people report something similar at low settings.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
Changing his pressure will not make a difference. Most likely it is he is used to his exhale relief setup from his usual machine, whatever that is. Having him jump 2 - 3 cm in pressure is a little risky bit of advice.

Husker, sit up with the machine on and the mask on during the day to get used to the sensation. Especially if the Transcend does not have any exhale relief capabilities. You should, with time, get used to it. You may also want to start sleeping with it at night to get used to it for extended periods of time.

As for the noise, that is quite possibly something that cannot be helped. It is a very small machine and not much room for much else.

There is also a review of the machine in our review section. Actually, there's two since there's now a new one out. Reading those may offer better advice.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...scend-CPAP
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-with-EZEX
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I recently came back from a two week trip using mine.
I have a rant about the "multi night" battery elsewhere. It does make strange sounds and the lights are idiotic, so it's understandable that there's confusion. The vendor who sold it to me was quick to answer my question before I finished. They were pretty clueless. I did describe the sounds to the mfgr and he said they sounded correct.
It has weird whining sound that mimics your exhale and at some point in the night it makes a blowing sound as if you have a leak. I checked by making a leak and it was a different sound. I thought maybe it was working hard to open me up after an incident but even after a few minutes, the sound is still loud as if it's working. I turned it off and it started the mimicing wheeze again. I think it just makes weird noises.
I do know I felt good after using it until the morning with the battery failed and I felt like crap. So as long as you can plug it in, I think it's an ok machine. It's super light which is fun for actual travel. Once you plug it in, the lights flash and then go off and it's apparently in stand by mode but it seems as if it's not on.
re the breathing, it seemed ok to me. Maybe you don't want the ramp up time?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi HuskerBB,
WELCOME! to the forum! and have a nice trip.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the transcend 2 with the on head humidification kit, and it is louder than my regular machine (which lives on my nightstand). I sleep with silicone earplugs, like Mac's, whenever I use the travel machine.

The lack of exhale relief on the transcend 2 was a little tough to get used to. Isn't the Auto supposed to have that? I used to wake up with air in my stomach from my machine. I'm at 9cm pressure. I sleep halfway between my side and stomach- with a pillow under my stomach and shoulder propping me at a 45 degree angle, and that tends to help. Haven't been bothered by it in a while.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,045 Yesterday, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  Is there a quiet travel CPAP? mcman56 1 71 Yesterday, 12:21 PM
Last Post: sauerkraut
Cool Smallest travel CPAP setup w/ Transcend Micro kotaKat 5 1,887 04-02-2024, 11:44 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  Any experiences with BMC M1 Mini travel Auto CP?AP DrJelly 4 740 03-15-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: DrJelly
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 6,213 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  Small travel bag for ResMed 11 + Laptop? NelsonM 9 2,591 02-08-2024, 10:28 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Travel CPAP Concerns cyleclayton 3 506 01-18-2024, 12:32 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.