Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help severe central apena and dry mouth
Help severe central apena and dry mouth
Hi i am new to this forum and need help. I have central sleep apnea of 400 per hour and obstructive of about 80 per hour. 2 years ago i got a ressmart machine. The trial machine was fine so i brought it. Every time i used it i would wake up with a severe dry mouth and feel like im choking. Sent it back with no luck so i stopped using it. Fast forward till now and i have gotten worse. I am now trialing a resmed s9 it has the same problem. No matter how high i put the humidifier i get severe dry mouth. I tried boiling water in the chamber and some water in the tube which seemed ok for about 30 min then started to dry out. Please help.
My next step is to put a hole in the tube and have water drip into it some how. Everyone has told me they dont know what to do. I feel like im dying im a zombie all the time i can barely drive. Some times i cant get out of bed.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help severe central apena and dry mouth
Welcome
You have to start with the right machine.
"I have central sleep apnea of 400 per hour and obstructive of about 80 per hour."
That's mixed apnea; and the machine for treating it is called an ASV.
In the ResMed S9 series, that would be the VPAP Adapt or the ResMed S9 AutoSet CS-A. What does the machine you have on trial say near the start button?
There are a bunch of S9's; so what you've said does not pin down which machine you have on trial.

Are you still using a FFM? Dry mouth is a common complaint. Sometimes getting the correct therapy improves things.
Ask yourself if you have any other medical conditions or take any medications that could cause dry mouth...

Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Also check your level of mask leakage since an unusually high leak rate can cause dry mouth. I suggest you install software to get enough data for making decisions and changes. I recommend the SleepHead software that is linked at the top of this page.

Dude
Post Reply Post Reply
when you find the exact model your using click the link at the top of the page for a setup manual and then the link for sleepy head.

a problem with mask leaks can make dry mouth much worse than it would be otherwise.
check the data on the SD card to determine if your having an issue with leaks.

in a cold dry climate like where i live and my humidity setting maxed out the reservoir is empty in about 5-6 hours. i've found getting a good room humidifier allowed me to turn down the humidity setting on my S9 making the water last 8+ hours and no longer suffer from a dry mouth.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Drymouth,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Which Resmed machine are you trying?
Hang in there for more suggestions and much success to you in getting your problems straightened out.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Let's see, you got a CPAP to treat severe complex apnea. I need an analogy like, that's like driving a nail with a micrometer. You got the wrong tool for the job. A CPAP cannot treat complex apnea. We have helped get people get setup in ASV (adaptive servo ventilation), at bargain prices, but we're talking about $800 to get a machine valued at close to $4000.

I'll assume you don't have insurnace. It's time to hit the reset button and get the right gear. Let us know if you want some help, and what your parameters are financially.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
surferdude2 and RobS have good suggestions. You probably need an ASV machine but you can get a better idea of what you need from the Sleepyhead software and suggestions from this Board when you post some screen shots of what your machine is doing throughout the night. Quite a few members are being treated with ASV machines. The screen shots from the software can show if your machine is actually helping you. Mask problems, especially leaks, are very common. Read through some of the threads referencing dry mouth and mask leaks to get an idea of some solutions. Other members will be making recommendations here as well.

RichB
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-15-2016, 04:04 PM)Drymouth Wrote: I am now trialing a resmed s9

we don't know for sure if he has an ASV already or not.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-15-2016, 09:10 PM)Rob S Wrote:
(02-15-2016, 04:04 PM)Drymouth Wrote: I am now trialing a resmed s9

we don't know for sure if he has an ASV already or not.

The severe fatigue suggests he is untreated. The S9 series includes bilevels and ASVs, but I'd bet it's CPAP, and probably not even be one of the data capable units.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi,

Thank you for all your replies and help it means a lot. I have found the humidifier chamber that i used in the hospital its the HC150 Heated Humidifier With Hose, 2 Chambers and Stand. This worked fine in the hospital and in fact they had to turn it down a little. I have emailed <link deleted by moderator> to see if they can send one to australia. I have tried all the different humidification settings on the resmed r9 and no joy. All the professionals here have never heard of this item and tell me it does not exists. Also my original sleep study test i did 2 years ago would not give me my results. The sleep study test i did a few weeks ago did not give me a print out they only verbally told me. Upon first news i was told go straight to the hospital. I stayed there for a week had MRIs heart scan blood tests. My testosterone is down to 7 my white blood count is down my b12 is down my vitamin d is down. My body feels like its dying, On top of that i have had a double lumbar fusion which slows me down. They have no idea whats causing the central sleep apnea. I may have had this since i was a teenager. Thank you for all your help i dont feel so screwed.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 26 569 3 hours ago
Last Post: p4ncaketim
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 31 7 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 372 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,517 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,399 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 316 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.