Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help to understand the numbers
RE: Help to understand the numbers
Zero problem with bumping here and please keep your posts in this thread so we can review from the start when you post something new.
Nothing "shocking" in your graphs, so no emergency, but yes people here will help you get you on the right machine (if that turns out to be an issue) and get it tuned for better sleep.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi PoolQ,
Last night was a bit better as far as sleep was concerned but I still had AHI of over 21 and had two wake ups where the pressure created such an uncomfortable feeling in my mouth that I decided I had to call the doctor.
I ended up speaking with the doctor's assistant and he agreed with you and said that my numbers might not be perfect but were not unheard of. The one thing he did arrange was a mask fitting as he felt that the masks I have been using probably do not fit correctly. That is happening on Thursday.
Wish me luck,
Don
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.
Thomas A. Edison

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-17-2015, 05:01 PM)DonC Wrote: . . .
I really do not think I am sleeping well and would like some guidance on what I can do to help the situation. The one graph that I have no idea about is the By Pressure one. Does it say that the higher pressures are causing the occurrences????
. . .

Hi DonC,
Welcome to this forum. You will find lots of folks here who are willing and able to help you find your way thru this process.

1) The Pressure graph shows the Inhalation pressure the machine is providing moment by moment. The machine analyzes your breathing and responds by raising the pressure when it sees patterns that suggest that you have (or soon may have) an obstructive event. It does this to try to prevent or shorten such an event. The conditions that cause the machine to raise pressure are Flow Limitation, Snore, and Obstructive events. The machine does not respond to Clear Airway events.

2) When the pressure and/or leakage wakes you up, just momentarily turn off the machine, then turn it right back on again. This causes the machine to drop back to its starting pressure, which should alleviate your chipmunk cheeks and other discomfort.

3) As others have said, your prevalence of Clear Airway events may be occurring because you are just beginning your CPAP treatment. These events may subside as you get more accustomed to the machine. If not, then a different machine may be indicated.

4) In the meantime, there are some things you can do. For MANY patients, the rate of Obstructive events is related to sleeping position. For these people, it is usual that sleeping Supine (on their back) is the worst position. In my own case, my apnea index is almost 20 times as bad supine compared to sleeping on either side. There are some simple things you can do to try to avoid back-sleeping. Search the forum for various suggestions: wearing a Tee shirt with tennis balls in pockets on the back, large pillows wedged behind you, wearing a backpack loaded with lumpy objects, etc. In my own case, initially I had trouble getting my AHI below the 10-15 range. Once I started trying various measures to avoid back-sleeping, my AHI is rarely over 2, usually below 1. These are basic things you can try to see if they have any effect on your numbers or your sleep.

5) I use a F&P Simplus FFM. There is a sizing guide for this mask. Go to one of the listed online suppliers (link at the top of every forum page), find one that sells the Simplus, and there should be a link to the Sizing guide. This is a PDF document, meaning that it will print to size accurately. Print a page with the guide, cut out the gauges, and see how they fit to your face. This isn't a substitute for a personal fitting with a knowledgeable Respiratory Tech, but it can help you evaluate what they are telling you.

6) Try using a mask liner. I use the RemZzz liners, and I like them. The most bothersome leaks for me occur around my eyes. The mask liner may improve the seal, but even if it doesn't, it helps diffuse any leak to make it less irritating. By the way, the RemZzz folks present their product as a use-once item. I use mine multiple times, then wash them, and use them again, repeatedly. The resultant cost per day is negligible.

I hope these suggestions and ideas may help you on your journey.
A.Becker
PAPing in NE Ohio, with a pack of Cairn terriers
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Becker44A,
I learned a lot from your post and will try a few things. I will sleep on my side even though this is not natural for me, I have spoken to RemZzz liners and have organized a mask fitting with the company that supplied the machine.
I did change back to my Amara View FFM last night due to a higher number of chipmunk cheek occurrences with the Simplus and had the best nights sleep so far. AHI of 8.7 with a CA of 6.3 and I have managed to stay awake all day. I have felt tired at times but nowhere near like normal.
I have come up with a couple of questions though:
1) Why is CA known as Clear Airways by some and Central Apneas by others?
2) Should I be trying to breath through my nose. I naturally breath through both nose and mouth together?
3) Do people wear a chin strap while wearing a FFM?
4) What is RERA? I didn't have high enough readings to take notice of this before but last night it was 1.26.
That is enough for now. Thanks for helping everybody.
Don
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.
Thomas A. Edison

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-20-2015, 08:18 PM)DonC Wrote: 1) Why is CA known as Clear Airways by some and Central Apneas by others?

Means the same. A central apnea is when the brain does not initiate a breath. The airway is open and there should be a breath, so it is also called an clear airway event.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-20-2015, 08:33 PM)justMongo Wrote:
(10-20-2015, 08:18 PM)DonC Wrote: 1) Why is CA known as Clear Airways by some and Central Apneas by others?

Means the same. A central apnea is when the brain does not initiate a breath. The airway is open and there should be a breath, so it is also called an clear airway event.

The distinction is due to the fact that you cannot definitively establish Central Apnea without an eeg attached. The Clear Airway is a *suspected* Central event. Smile
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-20-2015, 09:48 PM)DariaVader Wrote: ...without an eeg attached.

I really need glasses. I read that as "without an egg attached."
Time for sleep.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Machines can't read your brainwaves, which is what you have to do to prove a central apnea, that is a failure to breathe because the brain does not send the right signal.

The machines can tell if your airway is obstructed and they can tell when you stop breathing. If you stop breathing and your airway is not obstructed then you are probably having a central apnea event, but the airflow data provided by the machine is not enough to prove this, so they call them "clear airway" apneas just to be careful.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-20-2015, 08:18 PM)DonC Wrote: . . .
I did change back to my Amara View FFM last night due to a higher number of chipmunk cheek occurrences with the Simplus and had the best nights sleep so far. AHI of 8.7 with a CA of 6.3 and I have managed to stay awake all day. I have felt tired at times but nowhere near like normal.
I have come up with a couple of questions though:
1) Why is CA known as Clear Airways by some and Central Apneas by others?
2) Should I be trying to breath through my nose. I naturally breath through both nose and mouth together?
3) Do people wear a chin strap while wearing a FFM?
4) What is RERA? I didn't have high enough readings to take notice of this before but last night it was 1.26.
That is enough for now. Thanks for helping everybody.
Don

Hi DonC,
Congratulations on a better night!! I'll try to answer some of your questions.

1) Others have given this answer.

2) If you breathe through your nose, there is less "dry mouth" effect. I try to breathe nasally as much as possible. Sometimes this doesn't work too well if I'm a little congested. Often I find that breathing nasally with the machine running tends to clear up the congestion fairly rapidly. Then I can easily keep my mouth closed, at least while I am dropping off to sleep. Mouth breathing is optional with a FFM, but a definite no-no if using either a nasal mask or nasal pillows. In either of those cases, opening your mouth to breathe results in a massive leak, and therapy won't work.

3) Some have posted that they do or have used a chin strap with a FFM, in an attempt to control dry mouth. I don't use one, and the humidifier seems to control this adequately, or I am developing the mouth closed habit.

4) RERA stands for Respiratory Effort Related Arousal. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that this is an event where the effort to breathe thru a partially obstructed airway is great enough to cause arousal. Some question the ability of the machine to accurately score these events without a chest belt to measure chest movement.

Hope this helps. Keep reading and asking questions, and you'll make it thru.

A.Becker
PAPing in NE Ohio, with a pack of Cairn terriers
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-20-2015, 11:03 PM)justMongo Wrote:
(10-20-2015, 09:48 PM)DariaVader Wrote: ...without an eeg attached.

I really need glasses. I read that as "without an egg attached."
Time for sleep.

Looks like an egg to me...
[Image: EEG_cap.jpg]
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Switching to automatic raised AHI numbers Leitrim 4 118 03-26-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Leitrim
  New to OSCAR..Please Help me understand the data. *screenshots attached* Cowboys77 0 90 03-19-2024, 05:52 AM
Last Post: Cowboys77
  Help needed to understand chart SteveC 0 97 03-11-2024, 11:54 PM
Last Post: SteveC
  Just trying to understand this stuff Domino96 5 272 03-05-2024, 11:31 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Newby trying to understand what i am seeing WoodyV12 18 990 02-24-2024, 08:17 PM
Last Post: Macka
  Can someone help me make sense of my Therapy Numbers? kc90 6 353 02-21-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: kc90
  Frustrating insomnia continues despite numbers alienfrontier 10 605 01-27-2024, 02:04 PM
Last Post: alienfrontier

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.