Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help [trying to understand data]
RE: Help [trying to understand data]
The reason for using a pressure of 6.0 is based in part on your sleep test which did show a minor obstructive component. Low, fixed PAP pressures generally do not exacerbate central and complex apnea, while resolving obstruction, and sometimes actually improving CA. I think a trial at the lower pressure is a worthwhile effort, however the fact remains you have been prescribed an ineffective therapy device, never intended for the treatment of central apnea and hypopnea. Your goal should remain obtaining ASV, however using low fixed pressure CPAP may be viewed as a bridge to that therapy, and establishes your attempt at therapy compliance.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi everyone.  So, since my last post I took some of Sleepriders advice and went to a lower fixed pressure. That did lower my AHI from 30-40 to 15-20. The problem is that those numbers are not better than my sleep test so I'm not sure im better off trying to use it at all.  Also, with pressures low enough to keep the centrals at bay makes it feel like I want more air. it makes it hard to fall asleep but if I raise pressure above 7-8 central apneas increase.  So, for now I try to wear it a little bit each night to get used to having a mask on and also to see if my numbers are consistent, but usually it lasts less than half the night before I convince myself that I can breathe better without it. This machine just wasn't meant for this.
       I bit the bullet yesterday and bought a lightly used Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV. It is on the way as we speak from vender #2.  before it gets here I want to already have a game plan as far as some sensible starting points for pressures and setup.  I had no problem setting up the Airsense 10 autoset I have but I understand the bi level machines have a few more numbers.  If anyone who has this or similar machines could give me some pointers as to where to start regarding pressure and why. I have very little if any obstructive events even at 7cmH2O so im looking forward to finally being able to do something about my central events. I want to thank everyone again for their help!
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-01-2018, 05:29 PM)TheMacGyver Wrote: Hi everyone.  So, since my last post I took some of Sleepriders advice and went to a lower fixed pressure. That did lower my AHI from 30-40 to 15-20. The problem is that those numbers are not better than my sleep test so I'm not sure im better off trying to use it at all.  Also, with pressures low enough to keep the centrals at bay makes it feel like I want more air. it makes it hard to fall asleep but if I raise pressure above 7-8 central apneas increase.  So, for now I try to wear it a little bit each night to get used to having a mask on and also to see if my numbers are consistent, but usually it lasts less than half the night before I convince myself that I can breathe better without it. This machine just wasn't meant for this.
       I bit the bullet yesterday and bought a lightly used Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV. It is on the way as we speak from vender #2.  before it gets here I want to already have a game plan as far as some sensible starting points for pressures and setup.  I had no problem setting up the Airsense 10 autoset I have but I understand the bi level machines have a few more numbers.  If anyone who has this or similar machines could give me some pointers as to where to start regarding pressure and why. I have very little if any obstructive events even at 7cmH2O so im looking forward to finally being able to do something about my central events. I want to thank everyone again for their help!

See my sidebar for my settings. I'm not indicating you ought to duplicate mine BTW.

The AirCurve 10 ASV Auto machine has 3 or 4 pressure settings, depending upon which Mode you're running it in. There are 3 modes: CPAP, ASV, and ASV Auto.

Skipping CPAP...

ASV settings are: EPAP and Pressure Support (PS) Min and Max.

ASV Auto: EPAP Min and Max
And PS Min and Max. This is the mode I'm running mine in.

IPAP Min and Max are controlled by the algorithm and based on EPAP and PS and from the past few breaths I'm thinking.

PS I'm not including comfort settings like heated hose, ramp, humidity.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Dave. I’ll look into the epap and ps settings and operation. I figure the rest of the comfort settings will be similar to my airsense
Post Reply Post Reply
Your problem was never obstructive apnea, so we don't need the pressures Dave is using to prevent OA.  I'm going to recommend that you go by the book in this case, starting with ASVauto mode, and EPAP min of 4.0, EPAP max of 15.0 (I don't think you will ever go above 7.0), PS min 3.0 and PS max 15.0.   We will quickly take a look at the results and make some fine-tuning.  One exception, is if you feel lower pressure left you wanting more, then EPAP min at 5.0 is just fine. Pressure support should avoid that feeling.  Here is the "book". 

[Image: attachment.php?aid=4210]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Awesome! Thanks Sleeprider, that titration protocol was exactly what I was looking for. I know if I get some baseline data then with everyone’s help I should be able to get it dialed in. Hopefully I will have the machine by this weekend.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-01-2018, 07:17 PM)TheMacGyver Wrote: Thanks Dave. I’ll look into the epap and ps settings and operation. I figure the rest of the comfort settings will be similar to my airsense

Welcome and that's true on comfort stuff.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to OSCAR..Please Help me understand the data. *screenshots attached* Cowboys77 0 120 03-19-2024, 05:52 AM
Last Post: Cowboys77
  Help needed to understand chart SteveC 0 124 03-11-2024, 11:54 PM
Last Post: SteveC
  Just trying to understand this stuff Domino96 5 336 03-05-2024, 11:31 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Newby trying to understand what i am seeing WoodyV12 18 1,091 02-24-2024, 08:17 PM
Last Post: Macka
Question [CPAP] Help to understand current situation and OSCAR data 3dkid14 0 278 01-18-2024, 04:21 AM
Last Post: 3dkid14
  Help to understand results, please Olis001 5 455 11-30-2023, 12:04 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  [CPAP] Please help me understand why therapy is not showing results Paradox97 22 1,653 10-04-2023, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Paradox97

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.