Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help understand, please
Help understand, please
I am a long time CPAP user for mild/borderline OSA, but stopped being followed a long time ago.  This was after I stopped using a rental company for a fixed unit and purchased an autoset unit (ResMed S9).  I have used this for approximately 7 years, and in all that time haven't bothered to look at the data. I know! The point of the story is, I just purchased a DreamStation autoset unit and decided to have a look.  I set up the Sleepyhead software and downloaded the first night's data.  Uh oh.......... 

[attachment=3423]

My understanding of the data is primitive.  I don't understand how my AHI could be elevated while using an autoset unit.  I don't know if the problem can be seen in the data posted above, but would appreciate it if one of you can advise me.  Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help understand, please
Welcome

Your pressure graph is all over the place, which is to be expected when using the default 4-20 settings. Most of the time, it's running at a pressure that doesn't treat your apnea well. It's best to set the minimum pressure about 2 (or possibly 3) below your 95% pressure from the data. Since your 95% pressure is 9.0, a minimum pressure of 7 would work better.

Click the CPAP setup manuals link at the top of the webpage to find out how to do the setup and order a copy of the clinician's manual.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the quick response.  I'll give your suggestion a try.  Previously, on my prior machine, I had the range set from 10 - 20, for idiotic reasons having nothing to do with actual review of the data.  I tolerated it well but I have no idea what my AHI was or how the graphs looked.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi eLPete!

Big_dave is correct, you have the machine set to wide open. P-R's don't respond as fast as a Resmed does to OA's.  I would adjust your lower pressure up to around 7.5cm.  This will be at or above your median pressure and in your treatment range.  You topped out at around 10.5cm so, to allow for a little fudge factor, I'd set it at around 12cm.  This will tighten your operating range and aid the algorithm in finding the best pressure.  Get a few days time on these settings and see how you feel  and what your numbers look like.

BTW: What were your S9's settings?
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm thinking 8.0 as a minimum. Same idea, but I think you're going to need it. Your tidal volume is awful at 280 mL. That would be appropriate for a child. If that continues, remind me we want to see a closeup (2-minute) of the flow rate.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-01-2017, 03:47 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: I'm thinking 8.0 as a minimum.  Same idea, but I think you're going to need it.  Your tidal volume is awful at 280 mL. That would be appropriate for a child.  If that continues, remind me we want to see a closeup (2-minute) of the flow rate.

Just out of curiosity, what is a normal tidal volume range for an adult? Thanks, Sleeprider.
Post Reply Post Reply
this is part of a chart from a resmed titrate pdf, showing typical volume for size.
http://i.imgur.com/stb4tZk.jpg

if it continues and a reason isn't found here. , I would ask my sleep doctor about low volume, from reading, there can be a few reasons. As sleeprider said a zoom in may show something, to me it looks like there may be some breathing out through the mouth and is not being seen by the machine, it looks like there are breathe in breaths but not breathe out breaths

unusually the the respiration rate is ok. the minute vent is also down, as well as the volume. I'm really guessing, but you would expect the respiration rate to be very high to compensate, if there was a serious problem
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi eLPete,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you as you continue CPAP therapy and also with getting it adjusted to better meet your needs.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks all.  To be continued.....
Post Reply Post Reply
I will have to take another look, but my tidal volume does not seem to change much at all due to pressure changes.  I am about 90% of what the chart says.  And, I am above the ideal weight.  There may be a correlation due to how much body mass I have, and whether my diaphragm is effective.  Shallow breathing is usually chest breathing, and I am not sure that chest breathing is normal in sleep (expect maybe light sleep).

The AHI you exhibit is not surprising and may result in sufficient sleep quality.  You certainly did not feel you were being poorly treated, but just checked for the heck of it.

If I were you, I would be in no hurry to do much doctor consults.  Just making the slight adjustments suggested here and reviewing about 5 nights of data should be fine. An AHI under 5 is considered to be treated, though we say on the panel that effective treatment is that you slept well.  

Then at some opportune time, while already at the doc, you could mention the facts discovered - typical Tidal and Minute Volume, Respiration Rate, etc.

I have my guesses at what we will see on some close-up (2 to 5 minute) snips, based somewhat on the Insp Time and Exp Time.  I bet your body/face makes some hissing noises when breathing in and out (yes out).

Will you tell us also whether you have any Aflex setting (it would be off,1,2, or 3).

Thanks and good luck.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to OSCAR..Please Help me understand the data. *screenshots attached* Cowboys77 0 90 03-19-2024, 05:52 AM
Last Post: Cowboys77
  Help needed to understand chart SteveC 0 97 03-11-2024, 11:54 PM
Last Post: SteveC
  Just trying to understand this stuff Domino96 5 272 03-05-2024, 11:31 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Newby trying to understand what i am seeing WoodyV12 18 989 02-24-2024, 08:17 PM
Last Post: Macka
Question [CPAP] Help to understand current situation and OSCAR data 3dkid14 0 254 01-18-2024, 04:21 AM
Last Post: 3dkid14
  Help to understand results, please Olis001 5 426 11-30-2023, 12:04 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  [CPAP] Please help me understand why therapy is not showing results Paradox97 22 1,609 10-04-2023, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Paradox97

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.