Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help understanding DATA
RE: Help understanding DATA
Looks like your headed in the right direction. Obstructives came down a little.

I would leave it on this setting for at least a week and see if it settles anymore. If obstructives stay the same, change your minimum to 9.5. You may eventually need to be at 10cm.

I would leave the max setting as is.

Most important is how your feel. Does the higher pressure bother you at all? Sometimes it's a compromise between feeling good or dealing with a higher pressure that may not be comfortable.
You will know as you tweek settings.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, you're halfway there! I think the best thing would be to keep these settings for a while and get a better baseline, and give yourself more time to adjust to the pressure. After an adjustment period, you may want to incrementally increase minimum and maximum pressure by 0.5 cm until you are consistently under 2.0 AHI. Your results are very good so far. Keep at it!
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-29-2016, 08:44 AM)OpalRose Wrote: Looks like your headed in the right direction. Obstructives came down a little.

I would leave it on this setting for at least a week and see if it settles anymore. If obstructives stay the same, change your minimum to 9.5. You may eventually need to be at 10cm.

I would leave the max setting as is.

Most important is how your feel. Does the higher pressure bother you at all? Sometimes it's a compromise between feeling good or dealing with a higher pressure that may not be comfortable.
You will know as you tweek settings.

Thanks Opal. I didn't feel as good as the night before and did feel different through the night. I have a mild congestion, so breathing wasn't as easy as usual, but again it might have to do with the new settings. I'll keep this settings for a week as you advice and I'll let you know how it goes.

(12-29-2016, 08:50 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Well, you're halfway there! I think the best thing would be to keep these settings for a while and get a better baseline, and give yourself more time to adjust to the pressure. After an adjustment period, you may want to incrementally increase minimum and maximum pressure by 0.5 cm until you are consistently under 2.0 AHI. Your results are very good so far. Keep at it!

Thanks Sleeprider. I'll le t you know how it goes... Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Huh

Last night wasn't good. 28 OA events =( I'm keeping the settings discussed but I'm concerned about the constant OAs.

Somehow it won't let me upload the image.

https://imgur.com/a/hGH3w

Thanks,

Diego

Post Reply Post Reply
This result is nearly identical to the original graph you posted, so the 1-cm increase is apparently not enough. Keep in mind that using EPR of 3, means your exhale pressure may be dropping out of therapy range allowing your airway to close. Your median pressure now is 10.2/7.2. You can address this in two ways. Reduce EPR or increase pressure (IPAP). Increasing pressure will also raise the EPAP pressure on your machine. (I like pressure support, and would just increase overall pressure)

If you look closely at the flow line where you can see individual breaths at the time of an obstructive apnea, I think you will see that you exhale, and mask pressure drops as set by the EPR. An apnea occurs at that lower pressure, and pressure does not resume until you begin an autonomous inhale, at which time the mask pressure also rises. It's not coincidental that this increase of 1-cm pressure brings you to your current median pressure. This will be a better starting point, mainly because you are not having apnea precursors that the machine would otherwise use to increase pressure ahead of an event (flow limits, snores, etc).

I would add 1-cm of pressure and see if this improves again. Did you have a titration study? What was the result?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Sleeprider.

So I should increase min pressure to 10 or drop EPR to 1 (you prefer increasing pressure).

I didn't do a titration study, all I had was a home sleep test with a ApneaLink.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Your link worked fine, all it needed was IMG tags. Yes, I think this points to minimum pressure being too low, and it appears that a pressure of 10 may give your machine a better start on prevention. Normally the Resmed machine reacts very quickly to obstructive events and precursors, so this is a bit unusual, and it seems you just don't snore or have flow limits ahead of an obstructive apnea.

[Image: IsFQFea.png]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
I think its getting better... I had a few problems with leaks and I'm still trying to get the best fit out my mask.

https://imgur.com/a/0lWQO

I don't know how to put IMG tags =(
Post Reply Post Reply
That appears to be quite a bit better, but the fragmented therapy isn't going to do you any favors. Objectively leaks are not much different in this latest example but that is a pretty substantial reduction of OA event rate. You can try adding back in a bit of EPR if that made things more comfortable. If you think of your Airsense 10 as "bilevel lite", then we can look at EPR in the same we we do EPAP in bilevel titration. The exhale pressure needs to be maintained high enough to prevent most OA events. Your latest graph shows your average EPAP pressure of 10.4 gets that job done. So add EPR back in, but if the OA comes back, the total pressure must be raised to prevent EPAP from being too low.

If you look at your graph in my post #37 you can see an average EPAP of 7.4 allowed a relatively high OA rate. In your most recent results, with EPAP at 10.4 things look considerably better.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-02-2017, 01:11 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: That appears to be quite a bit better, but the fragmented therapy isn't going to do you any favors. Objectively leaks are not much different in this latest example but that is a pretty substantial reduction of OA event rate. You can try adding back in a bit of EPR if that made things more comfortable. If you think of your Airsense 10 as "bilevel lite", then we can look at EPR in the same we we do EPAP in bilevel titration. The exhale pressure needs to be maintained high enough to prevent most OA events. Your latest graph shows your average EPAP pressure of 10.4 gets that job done. So add EPR back in, but if the OA comes back, the total pressure must be raised to prevent EPAP from being too low.

If you look at your graph in my post #37 you can see an average EPAP of 7.4 allowed a relatively high OA rate. In your most recent results, with EPAP at 10.4 things look considerably better.

Thanks Sleeprider. I put EPR on 2 last night and OA went back up a little bit (11 to 15). My EPAP was on to 9.14. I don't actually feel any difference with EPR so should I try to remove it so I can a have a lower overall min pressure? I'm going to try min pressure on 11 and EPR on 1 tonight to see if I can get OA to lower numbers.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Understanding Pressure Settings on ASV Suzee 85 3,578 03-19-2024, 03:17 PM
Last Post: Suzee
  Help understanding OSCAR Data - Feeling Tired all day (not sleepy) elsanti1976 9 560 01-21-2024, 04:23 PM
Last Post: elsanti1976
  [Treatment] Understanding rise in AHI PedroT 17 819 12-30-2023, 01:05 PM
Last Post: PedroT
  Help Understanding CA hollercollett 2 364 12-26-2023, 08:12 PM
Last Post: hollercollett
  Understanding Sleep Study Centennial2 17 823 12-22-2023, 10:02 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Question [Diagnosis] Help Understanding Sleep Study and Titration Test DGJ1014 9 583 12-22-2023, 08:17 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Understanding OSCAR statistics GusHauck 13 691 11-30-2023, 07:22 AM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.