Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help understanding oscar data [CPAP]
Help understanding oscar data [CPAP]
Good evening everyone,

I was hoping if you can help me understand my Oscar chart better. I was suggested by my sleep tech to use fixed cpap pressure of 7. There are some events I can't comprehend with the oscar data e.g. OscarData2 what is UA, is it Centrals? and why so many events? I have been trying this mode for a while but I don't get lower than 2.6 AHI. Some days I can sleep longer and some days like yesterday more awakenings? I also noticed probably irrelevant that even though I mostly am a back sleeper finally caught myself sleeping on my stomach, if that is relevant in anyway.

Hoping I can get help to optimize my therapy. All feedback welcome! Smile  Smile

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help understanding oscar data [CPAP]
I have been looking at other threads here and noticed suggestion of using EPR on Autoset. So I had EPR1 and Pressure 6-9. Why does my pressure chart look like that, going up and down? Am I using the wrong settings? I am seeing also OA tagged intervals where there is a pause in flow?

Attached Autoset oscar vs cpap attached above. What can I do to improve my therapy as I woke up multiple times as opposed to fixed pressure.

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum

Your charts show a very close correlation between your pressure increases an you flow limits, as it is responding per algorithm.
EPR is your best too to use so please try

min pressure=7, to allow full function from the EPR
EPR=3, fulltime
Let's see how much that helps and take it from there.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the board. 

The u is for unidentified- it could not tell if they were centrals or obstructive events. However the grouping would make me think they are positional apnea.

Positional apnea is also known as chin tucking where your chin drops down to your sternum cutting off your own airway. 

It can not be helped by pressure changes. You must find out why it is happening and not get into that position. Back sleeping is one but certainly not the only position that will cause it. 

Many people here have found the use of a collar helps a great deal. I have a link in my signature to collars that show people without and the same people with collars.  Huge difference.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Edited found device, in addition to stacey reply, you can try cover roll stretch tape for mouth taping
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-07-2022, 11:24 PM)Gideon Wrote: Welcome to the forum

Your charts show a very close correlation between your pressure increases an you flow limits, as it is responding per algorithm.
EPR is your best too to use so please try

min pressure=7, to allow full function from the EPR
EPR=3, fulltime
Let's see how much that helps and take it from there.
Thanks for the welcome and suggestions! Do I keep the max the same ?
(03-07-2022, 11:41 PM)staceyburke Wrote: Welcome to the board. 

The u is for unidentified- it could not tell if they were centrals or obstructive events. However the grouping would make me think they are positional apnea.

Positional apnea is also known as chin tucking where your chin drops down to your sternum cutting off your own airway. 

It can not be helped by pressure changes. You must find out why it is happening and not get into that position. Back sleeping is one but certainly not the only position that will cause it. 

Many people here have found the use of a collar helps a great deal. I have a link in my signature to collars that show people without and the same people with collars.  Huge difference.
I will check to see if there is a different brand. I matter of fact alternate between chin strap and SCC recently tried Knightsbridge but it makes me so hot I can't sleep. I will try to go back to SCC. But the event clusters or my data so far doesn't show I suffer from CA ? Since AHI is low is it matter of SCC and right pressure and EPR?
Post Reply Post Reply
I had a chance to use the settings suggested for 2 nights. I would say my sleep quality was about 7/10 one of the better nights. I am attaching the chart here. One thing I noticed was i got quit tired around 4 pm (Woke up around 8 am) Is my data looking good? And curious what the CA in this case means. I guess I am wondering if this data shows i suffer from Central apnea or something? I used SCC with mouth tape as recommended above.

Thanks for helping me through hard time, I am open to feedback and suggestions on what can improve on settings side?

Post Reply Post Reply
Ca are centrals. But you do not have many and I sure these are what are called treatment emergents. They happen because the pap machine is doing a good job of Eliminating CO2. They will lessen as your body gets use to lower amounts of CO2. 

You have got rid of all the other events. Ca events are also variable- meaning one night you will have some the next night less with the same settings. 

I would give these settings a couple more days and see how you FEEL. Your events are low it is more important now how you feel on these settings.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-09-2022, 11:45 PM)staceyburke Wrote: Ca are centrals. But you do not have many and I sure these are what are called treatment emergents. They happen because the pap machine is doing a good job of Eliminating CO2. They will lessen as your body gets use to lower amounts of CO2. 

You have got rid of all the other events. Ca events are also variable- meaning one night you will have some the next night less with the same settings. 

I would give these settings a couple more days and see how you FEEL. Your events are low it is more important now how you feel on these settings.

I wanted to follow up on this. With same settings my apnea had creeped to 2 AHI and today 4.4 AHI. (Centrals were 2.9 on machine 1 day report) unfortunately I forgot sd card in laptop so don't have data. Is 2.9 central high?  And 4.4 is relatively a big jump using same things from the 1.0 night, is that due to emerging CA from getting used to settling? Note I have had cpap for many months now 

Appreciate the help, and I will get data tomorrow
Post Reply Post Reply
A CAI of 2.9 is likely not bad. Any overall AHI under 5, which doctors say it's treated, is likely fine. I am one that is Central Apnea pre-dominant meaning CA are my main issue, and AHI 3 was my average high number while treated. I'm thinking is a newness to Apnea awareness and CPAP treatment thing going on, not just treatment emergent CA alone but overall newness, with maybe a touch of too much focus on numbers. Go by how you feel and when available present us with OSCAR and ask about things.

Just for comparison, I had one dummy sleep medicine nurse tell me that since I was on CPAP with Central Apnea I should tolerate treated CAI up to about twenty. Seriously!? I had to laugh at her for that and made mention I couldn't accept over 3 CAI or I'd feel terrible. Then I cancelled further appointments there at Dr. Quack's.

What I'm meaning is you have a high sensitivity to this whole thing being new to you. When you look at OSCAR, take it as a measuring device to help guide in determining how things are going. But the bottom line is how you feel. The goal is never to get all zeros in OSCAR events.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Adjusting Settings based on Oscar data rygonzo93 2 55 1 hour ago
Last Post: rygonzo93
  Help reading OSCAR data JenniferJuniper 24 1,265 7 hours ago
Last Post: JenniferJuniper
  [CPAP] Help with OSCAR data to help improve sleep Akaharu 7 246 Today, 04:04 AM
Last Post: Akaharu
  Oscar CPAP Optimization Results-Awesome!? SeePak 18 396 04-16-2024, 05:32 AM
Last Post: SeePak
  [CPAP] OSCAR Data Review for New User goodfella7763 3 184 04-15-2024, 08:42 PM
Last Post: goodfella7763
  Just getting started, looking for an OSCAR data review mattcole3 3 107 04-12-2024, 12:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [CPAP] New CPAP User - Help Understanding CPAP data and Pressure Spikes Sleepin 3 155 04-12-2024, 06:36 AM
Last Post: Expat31

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.