Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help w/ humidity and sore throat (new CPAP user)
Sad 
Help w/ humidity and sore throat (new CPAP user)
My throat is sore! Used my resmed s9 elite for two nights. And My throat is sore and my nose is very dry. I don't know how to set the humidity or to what. Could the humidity cause this?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help!
Welcome to the forum Smile

Yes, humidity *could* cause this, as could mouth-breathing...

I do not have your model machine, but others will be here soon giving you clear directions on how to correctly adjust the humidity.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
How to control humidity depends on several things.
1) Do you have a climateline hose? If so, they there is a temperature setting.
2) A regular or slimline hose has a manual setting in 0.5 increments up to 5.0

When you press start, the machine should go tot he humidity setting. You dial it in and press the top of the dial to set it. I run at 4.5
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi cameorose and welcome to the forum!
Are you using nasal pillows or a full face mask?
To err is human, but to really mess things up, you need a computer.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi cameorose, welcome aboard
Sore throat is a sign of mouth breathing. As you,re using nasal mask, you may want get a chinstrap to help keep your mouth closed or even get a full face mask that cover your nose and mouth

S9 setup Instructions with pictures http://www.apneaboard.com/resmed-s9-cpap-setup
Link to 'how to obtain the clinical manual via email' http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual
The setup video and the manual are important stuff so that you how to access the data on the machine sleep report and on the SD card.
AHI and leak number can tell you how the treatment is working

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi cameorose,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You might want to try a chinstrap and see if that will help.
Hang in there for more suggestions and best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help w/ humidity and sore throat (new CPAP user)

Updated the subject line to better attract those who can help you best. -Moderator
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks all for the advice, I have a nasal mask. I thought I was sleeping with my mouth closed? Guess not! (ha!) I set the humidity level to 5 is that to much? It was set to 3 when I got it. I'll try it tonight and let ya'll know tomorrow how it worked. Cameorose
Post Reply Post Reply
It could be you were sleeping with your mouth closed prior to CPAP but now you are opening it. That is common.

You can make a quick chin strap out of an Ace bandage. Wrap it from chin to top of head several times. You want it tight enough that your mouth does not open when you are relaxed but not so tight you cannot chew with effort. If the increased humidity does not help, try that to see if it does. Also, sometimes too much humidity is as bad as too little.

They make some nice chin straps that are comfortable.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-19-2014, 09:23 PM)cameorose Wrote: Thanks all for the advice, I have a nasal mask. I thought I was sleeping with my mouth closed? Guess not! (ha!) I set the humidity level to 5 is that to much? It was set to 3 when I got it. I'll try it tonight and let ya'll know tomorrow how it worked. Cameorose

It's only 'too much', if you do not like how warm it is, or you run out of water in the chamber, or if you get rained-out (meaning water condenses and tries to drown you while you sleep)...
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 21 412 1 hour ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  Newer CPAP User, still snoring Warnick13 45 1,475 03-11-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Warnick13
  humidity level frustration sleepingbetterinFl 2 155 03-08-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Pressure] New CPAP user - Please help interpreting graphs fsdx2004 40 2,038 03-07-2024, 08:01 AM
Last Post: fsdx2004
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 1,013 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question [Symptoms] New CPAP User, Started Snoring Again heyou 30 1,591 03-02-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: heyou
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 298 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.