Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help with 9.52 AHI from CA events
Help with 9.52 AHI from CA events
Just started therapy yesterday and I am getting a good amount of CA ("Clear Airways") events in OSCAR:

Should I try increasing the pressure?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help with 9.52 AHI from CA events
If you look at the pressure graph and the CA flags in the flow graph above it, you can see that the CAs come after the pressure is higher.

I would suggest turning off EPR, or at least reducing it for a while. If your sleep study did not mention CAs, these are probably treatment emergent CAs, which requires your body to get used to the better ventilation. It may take a month or so to for them to subside.

Keep posting, a couple of times a week, so we can track how things are going. I would want to keep track of flow limitations, as well as your CA.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your advice. 

I think I'm going to see if my body adjusts to the EPR setting for at least a week and if the issue persists, I'll take your advice and turn off EPR. I am also considering turning off the APAP mode, since it seems like, to your point, events are more likely at higher pressures.

Night #2:
- AHI 9.88
- Similar amount of CA events
- Changed pressure to 8-14 (vs 6-14)
- Wore oximeter for first part of the night - confirmed desats.

[attachment=43121]

Night #3:
- AHI 6.92
- Slightly fewer CA events.
- Changed pressure back to 6-14
- Wore oximeter for full night - multiple desats to the high 80s.
- Some areas of Cheyne-Stokes breathing pattern (image 2)

Post Reply Post Reply
Here's the first attachment that doesn't render above and the second day w/ flow limit showing.

Are these flow limit numbers concerning or normal?

Post Reply Post Reply
Same general story today:

- AHI: 7.25
- Similar amount of CA events.
- Multiple desats to the high 80s.
- Some areas of Cheyne-Stokes breathing pattern mixed w/ CAs

I feel a little less tired than when I woke up yesterday (but still tired).

Post Reply Post Reply
Have you tried to turn down the EPR? I'm not saying to turn it off all at once.
Try EPR 2 for a couple days. If you see and feel a positive result, take it down to EPR 1.
Eventually set to OFF.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-03-2022, 11:12 AM)OpalRose Wrote: I'm not saying to turn it off all at once.
Try EPR 2 for a couple days.  If you see and feel a positive result, take it down to EPR 1.
Eventually set to OFF.

Any disadvantage in just going all in and turning it off all the way? Would you also recommend setting the machine to CPAP instead of APAP?
Post Reply Post Reply
And here is my night w/ EPR turned down to 2 (previously 3):

- Lower AHI
- Fewer oxygen desat events
- Took mask off a couple of times (b/c it felt uncomforatble?)

Post Reply Post Reply
And here's my second night at EPR 2.

- AHI stayed lower
- Oxygen continued to have fewer desat events
- Continued to take mask off a few times in the night (looks like 5 times)

I'm still feeling tired in the morning - seems like something isn't dialed in fully yet.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-03-2022, 08:30 PM)YouTakeMyBreathAway Wrote: Any disadvantage in just going all in and turning it off all the way? Would you also recommend setting the machine to CPAP instead of APAP?

I was thinking along those lines. If you want to try Cpap mode, set it to "Auto mode" with minimum 7 and maximum 7. Keep EPR set at 2 and see how it goes.
If you sleep better, then we can turn down the EPR further.

I'm suggesting Auto mode 7-7 instead of Cpap mode 7 (same thing) because then it will still show flow limitations.
The A10 didn't show FL in Cpap mode, but I'm not sure if the A11 shows FL in Cpap mode.

BTW, did you have a sleep study and did it flag CA's?
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 42 1,218 04-09-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Are any of these events real? BigWing 6 188 04-09-2024, 02:40 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  [Treatment] Most events are Central Apnea / Clear Airway joeblough 7 191 04-08-2024, 04:00 PM
Last Post: joeblough
  Excessive Events jerrydaw 1 107 04-06-2024, 11:20 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Help to interpret "Events per Hour" data Fritz1255 1 148 03-30-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,540 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 370 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.