Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help with Bilevel ST/ New ASV
Help with Bilevel ST/ New ASV
Could someone take a look at the only 2.5hrs where I actually slept and tell me if this is ok? I just got this and initially my backup rate was 20, Its now 11 after talking to Doc. That was my first inclination that something is wrong. I just can't sleep with it and was on Cpap until I was having CSAs after not being diagnosed with any. I have read cpap can cause them. So onto my 3rd sleep dr and study and now bilevel. Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help with Bilevel ST
G'day Larry. Welcome to Apnea Board.

The result is pretty terrible - an AHI of 53 indicates the treatment is hardly working if at all. The charts you've posted leave out a lot of the most important data, so could I ask you to organise your charts per the link below and re-post them please? It would also help if you could post a copy of the sleep study report - we specifically need to see the tables of events.

Oscar help: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...OSCAR_Help

Oganise your charts: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ganization
Post Reply Post Reply
Are there other medical conditions that got you onto an ST? ST can be indicated as the right machine if you've got other lung diseases like COPD. It isn't easy to get issued one of these even if indicated.

Follow up on Deep Breathing's suggestions and if there are other lung problems mention these.

And welcome to the forum.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Please read the tutorial on organizing your OSCAR charts linked in my signature. We need to see Events, Flow Rate, Pressure, Snores and Flow limitation.

If your diagnostic study showed central apnea or complex apnea, you need ASV. If you have a respiratory impairment or disease then ST may be correct. You appear to be using ST at 12/7 (pressure support 5.0) with a breath rate of 11. You clearly don't tolerate this machine, and I would ask the doctor if he has considered ASV as an alternative.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, Thanks, Not sure if I got this right but will post what I changed on graphs, No flow limitation from what I see. I have no history of chf or copd. I do have diabetes, low testosterone, hypothyroidism, high cholesterol. I have chronic pain and occassionally take a percocet. Do end up doing that at nigh more often since I cant at work. I have read where that can be a cause of some csa. I take humalog, atorvastatin, synthroid, liothyronine, lisinopril, testosterone.
Post Reply Post Reply
LarryM - Are these the same charts that you posted in the other thread, "RE: [split] Bilevel machine - advice needed"?

Your Posts:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid306167
and
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid306168

If so, please stay with this thread.

Thanks!
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-09-2019, 08:50 AM)LarryM Wrote: Hi, Thanks, Not sure if I got this right but will post what I changed on graphs, No flow limitation from what I see. I have no history of chf or copd. I do have diabetes, low testosterone, hypothyroidism, high cholesterol. I have chronic pain and occassionally take a percocet. Do end up doing that at nigh more often since I cant at work. I have read where that can be a cause of some csa. I take humalog, atorvastatin, synthroid, liothyronine, lisinopril, testosterone.

Personally, I believe ST is not the machine you need. ASV is the one for your situation, given your statement of no known lung disease and the Central Apnea count. I'm inferring as it wasn't specifically stated, but in mentioning CHF that you likely do not have other heart issues. For an ASV to be issued, in most cases you'll need to pass a cardiac screening test to score your LVEF (left ventricular ejection fraction), an ultrasound that captures images and sounds of your heart. This probably can be done at your local hospital at the imaging department. A cardiac doctor would review and comment on the findings. Over 45% LVEF would clear you for ASV, this % is the most important part on this test for ASV clearance purposes, besides any comments cardiac doc may say in reference to an ASV (if these comments are included).

One thing more, if you will not pass the LVEF echo test, you'd likely already know as you'd be in pretty bad shape in a way you cannot overlook. I had the test described to get my ASV, given the result of 55% LVEF, that's how I know what to expect. This last bit is your personal preference but myself I would try to get the ResMed ASV not Respironics. ResMed responds faster to events.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Somehow I started a new thread and didnt mean to. Can you please delete those
Post Reply Post Reply
I had an echo not too long ago. Think it was 51%. Have also read that having asv contraindicated to chf may be old news. Learning every day.
Post Reply Post Reply
Difficulty with ASV
I am on my third device and this may be the last chance. I have a new ASV machine and am having a strange reaction. I think when I am just falling asleep my breathing must trigger something because all of a sudden I wake up to my cheeks blowing out. Prior to this and while awake I tolerate this thing better than any other. Is there some setting I could have adjusted by doc? Am I having an event and it's blowing differently? Feel like I won't be able to fall asleep like this. It's almost as if I am blocking off my airway and the air has nowhere to go but to inflate my face. Thanks for any insight.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,958 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Catathrenia +/- UARS: Bilevel or ASV or other? empiricismandstatistics 0 79 03-21-2024, 04:37 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 198 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Sucking in on bilevel ahuman 9 174 03-19-2024, 09:00 AM
Last Post: ahuman
  Bilevel ASV - Resuming After Septoplaasty Dread 130 8,127 03-13-2024, 12:39 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  [Treatment] CPAP to Bilevel advice kkjacks 21 786 03-12-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: kkjacks
  r4robin - Therapy Thread (Help with BiLevel settings-post #5) r4robin 42 1,818 03-11-2024, 01:26 PM
Last Post: bertchintus

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.