Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Having a lot of difficulty falling asleep.
RE: Having a lot of difficulty falling asleep.
I use eszopiclone (Lunesta) sometimes. 

But my problem is not falling asleep; it's waking up.
Post Reply Post Reply
This may sound naive and I do not want to insult anyone. My strategy is to talk to myself and convince myself what I need to do and why. I have pre-existing cardiac issues, so I told myself something like this -- "Craig, this PAP treatment is good for your cardiac condition and you will probably live longer because of PAP. So get over your bad self and move on." At the very beginning, I convinced myself that PAP treatment WILL work and that I WILL adapt to it. And so it has been, for me at least.

Separate problem = Sometimes I find it difficult to get to sleep, but that has been true for many years because I can't turn my mind off - it continues to grind on with the issues of the day or the plans for tomorrow.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-18-2021, 11:42 PM)clownbell Wrote: This may sound naive and I do not want to insult anyone. My strategy is to talk to myself and convince myself what I need to do and why. I have pre-existing cardiac issues, so I told myself something like this -- "Craig, this PAP treatment is good for your cardiac condition and you will probably live longer because of PAP. So get over your bad self and move on." At the very beginning, I convinced myself that PAP treatment WILL work and that I WILL adapt to it. And so it has been, for me at least.
I don’t think you are weird at all. The mind is a powerful tool.  I did the same thing I told myself sleep apnea was killing me taking years of my life.  I wasn’t having it. I am going on CPAP and fight like hell.  It’s the old phase you can do anything you put you mind too.
Thank you,
Brent aka Factor

Just a Regular guy.
My untreated AHI was 87.  You can do it hang in there.
"You can if you will"   Jerry Kramer

Got OSCAR?
Organize Charts
Optimizing Therapy

My Story
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-16-2019, 10:49 AM)17WRX Wrote: I think if I could just get a few full nights sleep my mind would see its ok and calm down.

Check out the sleep tips area.
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/Sleep_tips

Tell your mind its ok.  Tell it you will do it.  You need it to be healthier.  You are your mind convince yourself.  

What is your sleep routine like?
No electronics 2 hours before bed. 
No caffeine after 12 pm.
What is you life routine like?  Do you work indoors or outdoors?
Do you get outside daily like for a walk or a run?

For Melatonin I would start out on 1 mg no more than 3mg.  More than that is over kill.

Are you sure you need a Full Face mask?  Most people can learn to return to their nose in about six weeks.  The nasal mask may help you get more treatment for longer time periods.

Most of all hang in there it can take 6 weeks to get there or longer.
Thank you,
Brent aka Factor

Just a Regular guy.

Got OSCAR?
Organize Charts
Optimizing Therapy

My Story
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-18-2021, 11:42 PM)clownbell Wrote: Separate problem = Sometimes I find it difficult to get to sleep, but that has been true for many years because I can't turn my mind off - it continues to grind on with the issues of the day or the plans for tomorrow.

My dad unknowingly trained my mind early.  He would say things like..

Cars are for driving.
Kitchen table is for eating.
Shovels are for digging.
Books are for reading.
The Bed is for sleeping...

Which just means each thing has a purpose.  So in your case the the bed is not for thinking... its for sleeping.  It kind of goes back to Sleep hygiene.  These days we carry the world with us every where we go.  It not how its intended.  All of nature does its thing.  We some how forgotten we are part of nature to..  We think we are better, faster, smarter and on.. Live in the now there might not be a later.
Thank you,
Brent aka Factor

Just a Regular guy.

Got OSCAR?
Organize Charts
Optimizing Therapy

My Story
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Only sleeping 3 hours a night with CPAP, almost fell asleep at wheel biboombap 7 71 1 hour ago
Last Post: biboombap
  [CPAP] Trouble staying asleep with CPAP sarahsleeps 46 2,146 04-12-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Improvement after adjustments - still can't stay asleep DKane 0 74 04-12-2024, 09:55 AM
Last Post: DKane
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 24 11,105 04-08-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: cant exhale
  [CPAP] First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP DKane 10 358 04-02-2024, 01:41 PM
Last Post: DKane
  Predicting overnight minimum SP02 before falling asleep dfunk 0 111 04-02-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: dfunk
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 999 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.