Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help with Excel Correlation please
Help with Excel Correlation please
First off, if this is in the wrong Forum, please advise/move.

I am trying to use Excel to figure out which xPAP settings might be correlating with my side effects.

I am using the =correl(xx4:xx368,yy4:yy368) function (and not the data package) in Excel 2016.
This allows the values to update as new data gets entered.

I am getting quite different results depending on whether I leave a cell in an array empty or enter a value =0, and would appreciate advice on which is correct.

In Detailed***.pdf for example I leave the cells empty when there are no side effects.
LeaveCellsEmpty

In Revised Detailed***.pdf I have entered a Zero in the cells for which there are no side effects.
EnterZeroCells

The results are quite different.

To any Excel experts/statisticians out there: which method is correct please?

Thanks in advance.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help with Excel Correlation please
I don't know how your field are calculated, but a null (empty) entry is not the same as zero. You can do functions as simple as averaging, and the null entry is ignored, not contributing to the average or number.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It depends on the question you are asking. 1. What is the average of a particular side effect within its own population? Or 2. Out of all the sampling dates, what is the average of a particular side effect?
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
That's an idea. I can see if I use the Average function with the Correlation function.

Failing that, I am still not sure whether I should be leaving arrays empty when there were no side effects or entering a zero. More to think about.

Project for the Easter Weekend.
Post Reply Post Reply
IMHO empty when you have no data.
No side e_ects is data so 0
Post Reply Post Reply
As Gideon said, there should be a 0 (zero) if there wasn't any event to report. Otherwise, Excel will use something like, ISBLANK, and will not include that day in its sampling population.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Correlation of ViHealth 02 data report and OSCAR Plmnb 4 694 04-27-2023, 10:09 AM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Oscar - export daily "details" needed - power of data analysis / correlation PaulNL 16 1,648 10-27-2021, 12:13 PM
Last Post: pholynyk
  Call for Excel VBA help: to support effort to clarify/understand FL 2SleepBetta 44 5,769 10-24-2021, 04:54 AM
Last Post: 2SleepBetta
Smile Re words: positional motion accelerometer Somnopose Excel spreadsheet CSV GMT emulate 2SleepBetta 8 2,287 09-27-2020, 10:28 PM
Last Post: 2SleepBetta
  Getting Sleepyhead data to Excel PhoebeAnn 6 1,795 04-22-2019, 03:44 PM
Last Post: PhoebeAnn
  CPAP Supply Replacement Schedule - Excel Sheet SleepFoo 2 2,331 01-19-2019, 09:03 PM
Last Post: herbm
  Can ResScan export DATA to Excel (or csv) file JimN262 2 2,222 01-03-2017, 11:13 AM
Last Post: JimN262

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.